Scheduled dVH/RALH Post-op Comfort for Total Laproscopic DaVinci Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op Comfort for Total Laproscopic DaVinci Hysterectomy Post-op Comfort for Total Laproscopic DaVinci Hysterectomy

Unread 01-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Post-op Comfort for Total Laproscopic DaVinci Hysterectomy

Hi, I am scheduled for Total Laproscopic DaVinci Hysterectomy - I don't really know the acronym for the procedure but in short, my uterus and cervix will be removed vaginally and my ovaries will remain intact. The surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, 1/25.

I have been to the Hyster Sister stores web site and am thinking of buying the Swelly Belly cooling band, the reacher, and the hospital gown for use upon my return home. Is there anything else that I should be thinking about to purchase for my own comfort post-op? Please advise. Thank you.

bscooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Re: Post-op Comfort for Total Laproscopic DaVinci Hysterectomy

I hope you have someone to help take care of you! I had the same procedure on Dec. 9 and so am nearly 5 weeks post op. It took a good week where I took pain medication, and since then I feel pretty good and can take care of most anything. I am also back to working out, but do find I tire a little easy.
I would say that as long as you have someone around that first week, you should be good. I didn't need any of the above that you are thinking of purchasing. The hospital provided a belly band to wear when walking, which I used at first. I found myself napping often, and lived on the couch for the first week +. So a laptop, tv remote were important to me and was able to keep those next to me. My husband wrote down when I took my meds, and even what I ate (wasn't much at first). A few weeks into recovery I found that a heating pad (not too warm) was helpful. I would make sure you stock up on items that will help you after: jello, ibuprofen, soup, stool softeners, prunes/prune juice. I was kind of shocked at the gas pains and issues with having a bowel movement after. (Never thought I'd have any issues, but did). So the hospital provides a band if you need one, a reacher wasn't an issue for me (had same surgery as you will be having), and I liked wearing my usual sleeping attire (underwear and tank top), during day I switched to sweats. You could probably bring home a hospital gown if you wanted to...not sure why you would though Good luck to you! Looking forward to hearing from you on the post op end!
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:53 PM

See the thread on Granny panties. I didn't buy them and needed them for a while. I second the suggestion on a heating pad. I used the kind with rice inside that you can warm in the microwave. I didn't need a belly band, but did find that I couldn't wear my sweats and yoga pants at first. DH went to WalMart and got me some "scrubs" pants and they were great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2011, 10:00 PM

I didn't need any granny panties. My incisions were above/around my belly button area. Granny panties would have probably hurt the incisions. I do think some people really swell a lot more than others at first. Never had pain at incision site, and was able to wear my regular sweats (usually lululemon wide band, but lower waisted). Ask your doctor where your incisions will probably be pre op! You could save a lot of money if you don't have to invest in other items. Aviatrix, did you have a Davinci hysterectomy? Maybe they have incisions at different sites.
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM

Oh, you did have a DaVinci, aviatrix! Hmmm. maybe the swelling you experienced, or where those incision sites are different.
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:00 AM

All of my incisions, including the lowest two, were above the Jockey for Her string bikinis. Ditto for all of the swelly belly.

Be careful when nuking your rice sock. I burned mine beyond repair/use the other day (sad). Two minutes were fine, but two-and-a-half minutes were too much (I wanted the sock warmer than it usually was).
Unread 01-12-2011, 06:02 PM

I had the davinci surgery and my belly button hurts and smells...anyone else have this issue? I had my surgery on Dec 22 2010.
Unread 01-12-2011, 06:22 PM

I have four incisions above and near my belly button, but I don't think they went through my belly button at all.
Unread 01-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Post-op Comfort for Total Laproscopic DaVinci Hysterectomy

Ok thanks the camera went throuhg mine. Its really stingy and im thinking may b getting infected..Not sure but thanks for replying.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor42 View Post
I have four incisions above and near my belly button, but I don't think they went through my belly button at all.
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscooter View Post
Hi, I am scheduled for Total Laproscopic DaVinci Hysterectomy - I don't really know the acronym for the procedure but in short, my uterus and cervix will be removed vaginally and my ovaries will remain intact. The surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, 1/25.

I have been to the Hyster Sister stores web site and am thinking of buying the Swelly Belly cooling band, the reacher, and the hospital gown for use upon my return home. Is there anything else that I should be thinking about to purchase for my own comfort post-op? Please advise. Thank you.

bscooter
I had the same surgery on 12/30. I bought the Swelly Belly cooling band but have not taken it out of the packet. I did purchase granny panties and wore them for probably three days. I also got the soft bras, which I wore for probably three days also. I also got the no rinse shampoo, conditioner and body wash and never used it.

What I have used:
pretty pjs with lots of give in them (Target or Soma); I have two pairs, but found that I could have done with more as my DH couldnt really keep up with the laundry.
a little pillow that is about 14" long and 8" wide - I used it on the ride home from the hospital to 'brace' my incisions, I use it in bed to support my 'swelly belly', and I use it when I'm sitting up to support the hollow in my back. I picked mine up at Marshals or TJ Max - it was a treat, but not too expensive. I washed the cover before surgery because I was careful about infections.
stool softeners - twice a day for the first week to make sure I got into a good 'rhythm'
Gas-X pills to help with the gas pains
high fiber cereals and food post op
I bought myself a new fleecy blanket just because really and I have used it to just keep extra warm when I'm sitting
I also got a new hot water bottle (very British of me) but a heating pad or microwavable pad would work well too
Our bed is really high, so my DH made me a foot stool so that I didnt have to climb up.
Extra pillows, especially for the first couple of days and nights
I think someone else already said this, but have someone else keep track of your pain meds for the first couple of days. I found it really confusing and found I needed to take mine by the clock or the pain would sneak up on me. Once I felt better, I came up with a little table that I ticked off when I'd had the various things. Of course, by the time I was well enough to do that, I probably didnt need it!
I have my phone, laptop and a hand held game close by. I read at night, so a good book or two.
That's all I can think of right now!
Good luck and know that you will be in great company as you go through your recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register