Vaginal Itchiness at Night | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Itchiness at Night Vaginal Itchiness at Night

Unread 04-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Vaginal Itchiness at Night

Prior to my total hysterectomy, I did the Lupron shot for 3 months. Almost instantly, I experienced vaginal itchiness at night that would wake me up. Since my hysterectomy, I have continued to experience this almost nightly. I have mentioned this twice to my OBGYN and he seemed surprised. I've tried creams, Vagisil washes, Vagisil wipes, oatmeal-based soap, and homemade ground oatmeal compresses, but nothing works. I also sleep with an ice pack between my legs. Does anyone have any suggestions? Between that and the heat flashes at night, I get no sleep. I'm desperate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2015, 11:28 PM
Re: Vaginal Itchiness at Night

Have you tried an antihistamine like benadryl?
Unread 04-23-2015, 11:45 PM

Maybe you're allergic to Vagisil? Maybe try summers eve wash or a hypoallergenic wash instead. Does your wash have added fragrence or deodorizes added to it? Try even baby wipes for sensitive skin a lot of those are dye and perfume free. Also very well could be a yeast infection your body has been through so much perhaps it is a chemical reaction from your body. Hope this helps. I feel for you, I also have a problem with this but I don't have it near as bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2015, 12:36 AM

Thank you, ladies. I will see if an antihistamine helps. I am using sensitive and no dye methods and I don't believe it's a yeast infection causing it as I've had numerous tests that would detect it. Thank you both for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.
Unread 04-24-2015, 12:59 AM

I think I have experienced what you are describing. I talked to my gyne about it. First she made sure I was getting enough vaginal estrogen. Do you use vaginal estrogen? If not talk to your doc about it. Next, she prescribed a topical antihistamine cream to apply every other night to calm down the irritation. After two weeks, it disappeared and has not returned. She said it could have been brought on by any number of things, but the cream made a world of difference to me.
Unread 05-04-2015, 06:45 PM

So, I began taking Alegra for the past week and I've noticed that the itchiness subsides many nights. I am also still using Vagisl wipes after I shower in the evening and before I go to bed. The nights I do get itchy, I just fall asleep with an ice pack between my legs. Good news is that it has gotten better. Thanks for the advice.
Unread 05-04-2015, 07:00 PM

That is great that you are feeling better.
Unread 05-04-2015, 07:18 PM

Thanks. I have also been using a Vagisl sensitive skin wash. I'm also thinking of trying vitamin E gel caps and breaking them to put the oil on topically.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register