Had my pre op today...3 days to go | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had my pre op today...3 days to go Had my pre op today...3 days to go

Unread 01-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Had my pre op today...3 days to go

Hi ladies,

Well I had my pre op appointment today can you believe it took just over four hours. I saw the nurse first and she told me that I had to shave from my bellybutton down (from hip to hip as well)and half of my pubic hair also. That is just in case they end up having to do a vertical cut (having TAH) they wont have to waste time shaving me themselves. The best news I had all day was that I only have to do an enema the night before. I think I got off pretty lightly compared to some of the sisters before me.

I then saw the anaethetist who said I was having an epidural for pain relief after surgery and this was even after I had told him about my bleeding disorder and he wouldn't listen when I told him numerous times that his boss refused to give me an epidural because of my bleeding disorder and that I wasn't allowed to have one. It wasn't until I said to him that I had to have my drip in my forearm and not my hands because of all the blood products I need to be given before surgery that he finally stopped and looked at me and asked why I thought that. I then explained again about my bleeding issues and that I couldn't have an epidural and so on and so forth. He then went on to ask me why I hadn't told him I had a bleeding disorder (arrrrggggghhhhhh). I finally just said call my haematologist (in the same hospital)and sat there while my Haemy gave him a few words of wisdom. Very sheepishly he came off the phone to tell me that I would be having a Morphine PCIA pump with hourly shots of Tramadol through my IV as I couldn't have intramuscular injections....well DUH.....

I was finally free of that twit and I had to see the Dr. It was
the Registrar actually and she was really nice. The finally part of my meeting with her was an external examination. She was feeling my tummy and asked me how long I had known about my fibroids.....huh...what fibroids??? She said you do have fibroids don't you? Ummm not to my knowledge no! She then said oh well you are going to be like a present then....we wont know what we are getting until we open you up...I actually found that funny...go figure. She said I had a lump on the upper left of my uterus about the size of an orange. I then asked if they would be sending samples to the lab for testing and she said no we will send the whole thing so it can be 100% checked...I felt good about that. I have already asked for all my reports and they will be sent to me within a month of my surgery as well as a full copy of my patient files as I have issues with the hospital.

One thing that did concern me,besides the anaethetic guy, was the fact that everyone I spoke to today was shocked to learn that I wasn't being admitted on the thursday night because of my preexisting problems. By the end of my visit they had decided that I might still be asked to come in on thursday night instead of friday morning so I sit near the phone and wait.

I also had blood taken today which I was expecting but I was expecting 14 vials....14 VIALS....wow I am already anaemic now they are just trying to bleed me dry..oh well at least they have tested me for pretty much everything you can be tested for now. I am hoping friday hurries up so this will be done and I can then start my new life as a princess.

talk to you soon ladies
Sasha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2005, 07:01 AM

((( Sasha )))

Yes, pre ops can sometimes be very long - mine took about 6 hours total. It wasn't hard, just long - so many repeated questions. I was surprised by the amount of blood drawn too. For me it was 10 vials.

I'm happy that you kept telling about your bleeding disorder until the anesthetist listened. I guess it's so routine to him that he wasn't really paying attention. Hopefully you woke him up a bit

Best wishes, you'll be in my prayers that all goes well for you.

s
Unread 01-24-2005, 05:31 PM

Thanks Jean for replying to my post,

The anaethetist scared me he was that vague. Considering he is the one who is supposed to be keeping me alive (so to speak) during the surgery his attention span was terrifyingly lacking. I made sure I mentioned to the Dr (registrar) that the anaethetist needed to have a followup meeting with my haematologist regarding my bleeding disorder and what needed to be done before, during and after my surgery in regards to that and she said she would check and double check with the Haematologist herself just to be sure as she wanted to know what needed to be done if anything happened during the operation.

Thanks for the prayers Jean I will gladly accept them and the hugs too. I seem to be wanting a lot of them at the moment.

Take care
Sasha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register