So - am i doing the wrong thing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So - am i doing the wrong thing? So - am i doing the wrong thing?

Unread 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM
So - am i doing the wrong thing?

here is a short history -
I am 37 years old, about 10 years ago, i began heavy periods - heavy gross embarrassing periods. i have to either not go anywhere or carry a bag of extra clothes with me if i must go out (to work), at night, i must sleep with two layers of clothes and a towel /blanket under me so i do not destroy our mattress.
my obgyn has checked my thyroid once a year, checked for anemia several times ( not an issure) I have tried every pill( to regulate my cycle), tried the Mirena ( that lasted 3 mths - bleeding 24/7, pain and cramping, I might as well just have it once a month so i had it taken out)
we have a family history of endo, and anemia. my sister has had several d&c's and two ablations- she is finally under control with her cycle.
so i have asked about my options - they are, an ablation or a hysterectomy - i had a ultrasound last week and it was clear, no cysts, fibroids, etc. I had a unterine biopsy today ( that sucks btw) is it really spose to hurt this much after a biopsy??? and everything is working as it should - on paper. I have cramps almost everyday, disgusting discharge,( everyday) and it's painful on top of my uterus when my husband and i have realations.
I have a tentitive laposcopy hysterectomy set for april 25th
- am i doing the right thing?
The freedom of the cramps, embarassment and disgusting gross mess i face each month - ? i am sure there are a thousand of women out there who deal with much worse than i do - am i being foolish for wanting it all to be over with? An ablation could work, or it could fail and then where would i be?
I want so much to bedone but i am not sure if i doing the right thing or not. I am also afraid of the surgery- that is why i joined hystersisters to get some serious reading done on the subject.

thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Re: So - am i doing the wrong thing?

If it was me, I think I would try the minimally invasive thing first before heading for a hysterectomy. If that doesn't work, there would still be the other option.

Then again, remember that you need to make the decision that is right for you. You did the right thing by joining HS and doing your research. Many ladies on here will tell you their experiences and you can make an informed decision.

I hope this helps a little.
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:53 PM

I too was offered an ablasion and hystercopic (sp) fibroid removal and a d and c to help with my very heavy painful periods. Had the d and c and 97% of the fibroid removed but no ablation due to a divit left in the uterine wall. My follow up appt was a few weeks ago and we are kinda back at square one as my last period had no change. I was offered the mirana IUD with a possible ablasion if my uterus has healed or hystorectomy. My next appt is in early April. Like you I am so tired of not just the mess but the pain that has gotten worse. I was told it would "buy" me some time. I am just trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before my next appt. Only you know what is right for you. I wish you a sense of peace during this time. Its over whelming its consuming much of my thoughts these days. April seems so far away .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2011, 10:19 PM

To share a bit from the other side of the coin, if you do have endometriosis and your surgeon does not have the skills to take care of it, you could come out of OR minus your uterus but with all the same pain issues.

Wanting to be done with pain and bleeding and discharge is not wrong at all. Unfortunately, the problem is that a hysterectomy doesn't necessarily resolve all gynecological issues and it comes with its own set of risks. Ask me how I know, especially with an endometriosis diagnosis!

Before heading into OR, I would recommend a second opinion. I would also suggest considering a laparoscopy to determine if endometriosis is the culprit so you could make more informed decisions.

You have done the right thing by starting to do some research! The more you know, the better able you can be to make the best decisions for you!

Unread 03-15-2011, 07:34 AM

Goodmorning
I have been reading alot on this site and i am still as confused as ever. I have alot of concerns from reading about the ablation procedure, and the after effects. when i was asking questions of my obgyn yesterday, she explained to me about the process, etc. That itself made me want to not do it - i am a bleeder, i bleed for days from anything invasive, mild or not - i bled for months on the mirena - i could not stand having a darn pad on everyday - i want to be normal ( normal to me) and not having my body leaking something for days& months. I want to to be able to enjoy my life, not worry about planning vacations around my never predictable cycle, to go on vacation anyways and have my mess along with me ( no matter when i plan a vacation or something special aunt flo comes along)
as i am reading about the recovery process from an ablation, I see that it possible to have leaking and discharge for quite a while ( i am sure i will fit into that %)
and alot of posters that had an ablation - ended up with the hysterectomy anyways - some very soon after, so later on.
so would having the ablation be pointless for me?
should i just do the hysterectomy and be done? I have no problems - no nothing there is no explanation for the mess i put up with each month - i am really thinking have the entire unit removed and then i will be free. but then i think OMG now what rare problems will i get from having it out? i have close to 10 years until i start menopause.
I am so confused and unsure what to do - today my plan is research more and try to make a pros and cones list but i so just want to be done.
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:25 AM

I can so relate on being confused as ever lol because I am too for sure. I m driving my husband crazy. Easy for him to say to just get it out. I think you are doing the right thing about your research so you can make an informed decision. I am 37 and have a few years before I enter menopuase as well this is very scary. Part of me wants to just run in and do it but the smart side of me is saying HEY WAIT A SEC! I am going to get a second opinion just not sure if I should go outside the clinic. I go to a major university and there are like 20 GYNO's in the clinic. Im scared about problems after it comes out and what if it doesnt solve all my problems. Im scared about dryness and my sex life. Im worried about things falling. What if I dont wake up I could go on and on and on.Im not worried about not having kids anymore as we are done and husband had a visectomy 2 years ago. I am with you on the ablasion as I stated I already tried it sorta they had to stop because my body was absorbing to much fluid and the hole fibroid/divit thing. I already know I dont want an IUD. That is not an option. Its kinda either live with it or dont thats how im feeling right now. But Im tired of living with it and ruining my life it never fails to appear on a birthday or anniversary or a planned night out or vacation. I am missing work because of it. I look forward to chatting with you as we seem to have a few things in common. I have learned so much from this site some scary stuff but its the "real" stories that I want not what the dr tells me only.
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM

(((bittykitty)))
  Quote:
Originally Posted by bittykitty View Post
alot of posters that had an ablation - ended up with the hysterectomy anyways - some very soon after, so later on.
so would having the ablation be pointless for me?
First, you need to realize that HysterSisters.com is a hysterectomy website. Thus, ladies who have not considered a hysterectomy haven't registered and posted. We are not a good cross section for ablation outcomes. The ladies here tend to be the ones for whom the ablation failed.

Number wise--about 2.5 million women in the United States seek treatment for excessive bleeding issues each year. Of the 600,000 women who undergo a hysterectomy each year, about 150,000 are for bleeding alone--no other diagnosis such as fibroids or endometriosis. So what options were successful for the over 2+ million women with excessive bleeding who were not part of the 150,000 to have a hysterectomy? Some of them had a successful ablation--I read one stat saying about 600,000.

Also keep in mind that there are several different types of ablations so one has to consider which one would be right for her. For more information about ablations, check out the Endometrial Ablation Discussion Group.

Quote:
should i just do the hysterectomy and be done? I have no problems - no nothing there is no explanation for the mess i put up with each month
If endometriosis is the problem, it wouldn't show up on any test. To definitely diagnosis endometriosis there needs to be surgery (such as a lap) and pathology. And again, a hysterectomy wouldn't cure endometriosis though it might stop the bleeding once you have healed and if no endometriosis exists in the vagina or in the vaginal cuff.

It took me three months to finally stop bleeding following my hysterectomy, but it did finally stop.

Quote:
but then i think OMG now what rare problems will i get from having it out?
Good question! I had a lot of complications that caused health issues for many years. I wish I could undo all of that but I can't. However, I knew I had made the right choice for me so I was able to move forward without beating myself up for making a bad or wrong decision.

Quote:
today my plan is research more and try to make a pros and cones list but i so just want to be done.
Great plan! And don't forget to schedule a second opinion as well!

Unread 04-01-2011, 05:02 PM

I absolutely sympathize with you! The bleeding was ruining my life, to the point where I could barely leave the house. I've been dealing with it for years but this last time it was SO heavy and just would not stop. Pelvic ultrasound (2nd one) showed no fibroids, and my bloodwork indicated I was postmenopausal (I'm 53) -- and this was the second time I've gotten that result. My surgeon did a "frozen D&C" first to see what she was dealing with, and then, while I was still under anesthesia, did a TAH. It was a mess in there with lots of endo and adeno. Apparently my hormone levels, although very low, were enough to trigger the bleeding. Anyway, I have no regrets about getting it all out. I was fortunate, and my surgery was uneventful. If I have any issues down the line I will deal with them then, but for now, I am just truly thankful to not be bleeding all the time. Already I feel better than I have in years. I wish you all the best with your decision -- you're not alone!
Unread 04-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Hi! I am 37 too. Just had my LAVH/BSO seven weeks ago. I know how you are feeling. I had terrible bleeding for the last couple of years and then came the pain about four years ago. Pain in my left ab and sex hurt. I started getting sick to my stomach all the time. Had an ultrasound and nothing really showed up. My uterus was slightly inlarged and very spongy. My gyno said sounded like Adenomyosis and only cure is hysterectomy so I said fine. I was so sick of feeling like crap all the time and i was missing alot of work. Anyway had the surgery and pathology came back as Adeno and Cronic Endometritis which is a rare very bad uterine infection! That's what made me so sick. Dr said stuff like that doesn't show up. So just because all the tests come back normal doesn't mean something's not wrong. it's not normal to bleed alot.I feel like a new women! My point is- you gotta do what you think is best. My Dr said if I feel better now then that's all that matters. Just weigh your options and really think about things,but in the end it's your decision and you have to be ok with it. Everyone here is really great and I'm thankful for this site. You will find lots of great women to talk to. I wish you lots of luck with whatever you decide.
Unread 04-01-2011, 06:09 PM

actually you could be even longer before menopause. My doctor told me some women don't start until late 50. I also had the DandC and it didn't work. Was put on Megestrol and that didn't work and my doctor felt that the ablation would not work. BTW I bleed from November 5th until Jan. 7th when I seen my doctor again for a check up. He said OK enough you need to have a hyster. But I couldn't get my surgery schedule until March 16th and I stopped bleeding about one week before this surgery. AND until someone has bleed from Nov 5th until March 8th everyday..... they can say try other things. But I' m 16 days out since surgery and I have not bleed one single day since surgery and for me it was the best thing. But talk to your doctor and decide what is best for you. Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register