Not Scheduled Ladies that have been there | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ladies that have been there Ladies that have been there

Unread 07-19-2016, 04:18 PM
Ladies that have been there

My surgery is not scheduled yet. There are no more summer surgery appointments left and the fall schedule has not been made yet.. *sigh* but my surgery will probably be in the very beginning of September. I've known for years now that I needed the hysterectomy at some point but tried as many other options as possible first. I've made the decision to go ahead withe the surgery ASAP.

So I've been thinking about after surgery and have come up with some questions for ladies that have gone through a hysterectomy. I know everyone's experiences are different but I'm looking for just some general info to ease my mind.

My bedroom is upstairs.. Are stairs difficult to manage at first?

Would a low plush couch be difficult? Lol I'm afraid I won't have anywhere to sit when I get home. People always talk about how my couch devours them.

I'm a stomach sleeper! Anyone have issues with this after surgery?

Anyway thanks to anyone that takes time to read this!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyangel View Post
My surgery is not scheduled yet. There are no more summer surgery appointments left and the fall schedule has not been made yet.. *sigh* but my surgery will probably be in the very beginning of September. I've known for years now that I needed the hysterectomy at some point but tried as many other options as possible first. I've made the decision to go ahead withe the surgery ASAP.

So I've been thinking about after surgery and have come up with some questions for ladies that have gone through a hysterectomy. I know everyone's experiences are different but I'm looking for just some general info to ease my mind.

My bedroom is upstairs.. Are stairs difficult to manage at first?

Would a low plush couch be difficult? Lol I'm afraid I won't have anywhere to sit when I get home. People always talk about how my couch devours them.

I'm a stomach sleeper! Anyone have issues with this after surgery?

Anyway thanks to anyone that takes time to read this!

Hi and welcome! You didn't say if your surgery will be abdominal or not; that can make a difference when it comes to recovery.

My surgery was a vaginal hysterectomy with the Davinci robot. So I only have four small incisions on my abdomen, rather than a large abdominal incision. I've found my bed to be more comfortable than lying on my couch, and sitting in a chair is right out. I've seen ladies on here mention recliners are way better than beds to start out. It might help the desire for stomach sleeping as well.

Stairs have not been a problem for me. My doc said as long as I wasn't running up them (ha ha) to use them when needed. If you're on narcotics just be aware you could be dizzy, so be careful and go slow. Don't make unnecessary trips. My kids and DH fetch me things so I can stay in one floor most of the time. If you can set up your bedroom with drinks and snacks, reduce your trips to the kitchen, that can help.

Good luck!
Unread 07-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Re: Ladies that have been there

Hello there and !

While I can’t answer all of your questions, my experience pretty textbook (from the version of the book that went super fast). I hardly needed pain meds. Mobility started slow but as each day/week happened my stamina built as well.

Your stairs might be a better question for your doctor as it depends on the kind of surgery you are having and what your energy levels are going to be like. You might think you can take those stairs but surgery does a number on the body and you need to heal.

A couch that swallows you up might be comfy now but when you have to get up after the procedure, it could prove to be a bit more challenging. I have a standard recliner with the arm to stretch back which is super comfy but opted for the recliner on the couch as it is automatic. Anything that won’t put extra stress or strain on those muscles just after surgery is ideal.

You won’t be sleeping on your stomach right away. It took me about a little over a week to master sleeping on my side (no pillows) and then finally sleeping on my stomach which was absolutely bliss.

Think about your surroundings and how you can make them comfortable before surgery. Also click on the Pre-Op link at the top of the page as there is a vast wealth of information also.

I hope that helps even a little.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2016, 06:14 PM

My dr told me in my preop that I would be able to do stairs immediately, but I should use handrails, I had abdominal and it was not uncomfortable doing stairs, just take it slowly. You should be able to sleep in bed and sit in pretty much any chair, I slept on my back or side for the first week or so, I was kind of nervous to sleep on my stomach. But then one day I woke up on my stomach and it felt fine, so hopefully it won't be too long before you can do it?
Unread 07-19-2016, 07:28 PM

Thanks so much guys! Your answers eased my mind a bit.

Oh and my hysterectomy will be vaginal which I'm happy about. The doctor says that one has the easiest recovery.

I wish I didn't have to wait so long!
Unread 07-20-2016, 05:57 AM

I agree with the others, stairs shouldn't be a problem as long as you take it slow and use the handrail. I also was a stomach sleeper and now, 9 weeks post op, I can't fall asleep on my stomach anymore. I usually start on my left side and end up on my right side. You will probably notice that your right side is more tender than your left side, especially in the case of davinci robotic assisted hysterectomy. You should be ok on your couch but you may require help getting back up from the couch. As long as you have someone you can hold onto to get up I'd think you would be ok.

I see you're in Wisconsin, me too!
Unread 07-20-2016, 05:42 PM

Hi and welcome!

You've gotten great tips so far.
Perhaps you can place a low table near the couch to help support you when you stand up (if no one else is home). I found a long body pillow very helpful - my stomach was way too sore to sleep on. You can also try several small pillows to get comfortable.

Check with your own doctor about the stairs - instructions and any restrictions may vary due to your specific type of surgery.

Here is a link to an article you may find interesting: Tips To Prepare for Surgery

Hugs and best of luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register