new looking at dA VINCI | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new looking at dA VINCI new looking at dA VINCI

Unread 02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
new looking at dA VINCI

I just had my bi-opt and will know if I can have my Da Vinci. I get to keep one ovaries. but recovery in 2 weeks. my friends say no 4 -6 weeks.

michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Re: new looking at dA VINCI

I agree.. I had the Da Vinci also on 1/31 and I feel ok but I am not 100% at all. I took 6 weeks off to be safe and I am glad I did..
Unread 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM

No way are you recovered in two weeks. I wish I could meet these two week women. My DR had me off for four weeks, then part time at five weeks then back full time after six weeks-if I was up to it. If forced to, I could have returned to work at three weeks but I would have paid for it. I wasn't bed ridden by any means at two weeks, but still painful and requiring lots of rest. Read some of the da Vinci threads to get a better insight. You will want to take six weeks, trust me. Good luck and happy healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 08:12 PM

It is best to plan on more time and go back sooner if you can. Everyone heals and recovers at different rates, and how soon you go back and at what level (part time, etc.) depends on the type of job. Also remember that it does not matter how they enter your abdomen, all hysterectomies involve hundreds of internal stitches. So you will have the same amount of internal stitches that I did with my TAH BSO.

Good luck to you....

(((Hugs)))
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:26 PM

I am having the da Vinci surgery on Tuesday and my doctor has been saying 6 weeks before I can dance or anything. He won't even let me drive for two weeks and has warned me to be super careful on stairs and around pets that get underfoot.
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellebk View Post
I just had my bi-opt and will know if I can have my Da Vinci. I get to keep one ovaries. but recovery in 2 weeks. my friends say no 4 -6 weeks.

michelle
I took 6 weeks to recover.
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Reading these responses makes me feel so much better. I am scheduled for a TAH in March, but had a second opinion on Tuesday with a doctor who specializes in Da Vinci.

He claimed that I should be back at work in two weeks...maybe even just ONE week. I had some trouble believing that then, and reading here about a lot of other women's DaVinci and laparo recoveries, it seems even more unrealistic to me now.

I think I'll stick with my TAH.
Unread 02-17-2012, 10:18 PM

michelle

Where you may see the difference is in the long term recovery. My surgeon said davinci patients are ahead for the first 6 months of long-term recover. They are even with abdominal surgery patients from there to 12 months.

Long-term recovery takes 6 to 12 months.

There are a few women who keep their cervix and ovaries are able to get through initial recovery in 2 weeks, i just wouldn't say it is the majority. I was a slow healer so took a few more weeks.

Go with the Dr you trust andthe surgery type you feel most comfortable with.

Unread 02-18-2012, 09:07 AM

I am 17 days post op from DaVinci. My dr said at the earliest 4 weeks off from work. I could not imagine working right now 2 weeks out. My big accomplishments are showers, straightening up my room, and helping the kids get out the door for the bus. Beyond that, I am not ready to do much else. I am off the pain meds except Motrin 800. My energy gets zapped pretty quick. I still do an old lady shuffle I am getting better everyday, but for sure not close to pre surgery me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register