do any of you regret getting the hyster. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

do any of you regret getting the hyster. do any of you regret getting the hyster.

Unread 06-05-2004, 11:23 PM
do any of you regret getting the hyster.

I, like others I have seen post, need prolapse surgery. The doc wants to do a hyster. and I do actually understand why. I also have unbelieveable bleeding that is due to hormonal problems. But I don't want a hyster. My sister in law had one and has had problems since. I wondered how many women were sorry they got one, how many had problems because of having one.

rce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2004, 04:49 AM

Hi rce;
I had my hyst unexpectantly. I saw my GYN on Jan. 6th and was in surgery Jan. 8th! I am not sorry I had it done. I can't say I am happy I did but, it saved my life!
I have had very minimal problems. Almost none actually.
There are so many different outcomes from this surgery. Everyone is different and it is a very hard decision.
I hope you are able to come to the best decision for you. Only you and your doctor can decide! Talk to him/her. Get another opinion. Do what you need to do to help you decide!
Best wishes to you!
Unread 06-06-2004, 09:21 AM

Thus far I'm THRILLED I had the surgery. I'm not quite seven weeks out. It was not optional for me, and I had some complicating medical factors that made the surgery very risky. There was concern I would not survive the anesthesia, but I did far better than the docs dreamed could happen. It's been an essentially uneventful recovery, though the docs have required more caution than is apparently common for many women. (Am still on lots of restrictions, like no lifting or housework to speak of, no driving, etc.)

Fortunately, I do not have to work outside my home, so my biggest concerns with having to lie low for so long have been mostly boredom related.

As long as you have options open to you, though, I encourage you to do your research, get second and even third or fourth opinions, and do whatever you can to get to the point that you are as confident as possible with your decision. Options are a great thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2004, 12:42 PM

Rce,

I too am very pleased with my surgery results. I am 6 1/2 weeks post op from a LSH (Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy)because of large fibroids.

The decision making with a hyst can be very hard. I can only speak for myself, and I am sure other Hyster Sisters will agree, most of us did not "want" a hyst. It just became a lifestyle choice. Live with pain or have a hyst. It's tough!!

As far as your SIL, when did she have her hyst?? And also, she is not a "blood" relative...meaning...her case history could be different then yours if you opted for surgery. I could suggest checking with the females in your immediate family (mom, sisters, aunts, grandmas) and their gyneo histories. In my opinion, that is where you will find a more similar story than your SIL's.

Just in the last 5-10 years there has been much inovation in the hyst world. So...there are a lot more alternatives available for women today. A prolapse is workable with surgery. It depends on your pain level and what your Dr. recommends. Everyone's hyst story is "unique" in my book. The decision is all up to you!!

Good Luck.
Unread 06-07-2004, 01:13 PM

You've received some wonderful advice so far on this thread. I, too am thrilled with the results of my LSH. I'm 10 days post op and feeling so much better each day. My case was a 50/50 opinion from 4 gyn's. I decided to proceed as my huge fibroids continued to grow despite being in menopause and taking meds to shrink them! I had so much pressure on my bladder making me constantly feel as if I had to void. Plus one of my fibroids was pressing on my back causing horrible back pain. I went through lots of research, asked many questions (mostly on this site and got wonderful advice from my hystersisters). Remember that most of what you will hear from the media and the general population are horror stories which confuse and scare us to death. People do mean well by sharing their bad experiences but you need to keep in mind that everyone is different and technology advances every day. Do your research, listen to your heart and find qualified professionals to guide you.

PROUD TO BE A PRINCESS
Unread 06-11-2004, 04:09 PM
ok, i am doing it

You guys helped me decide. I am going to get the hysterectomy (when I get my bladder tied back up). I go Aug. 29th. Wish me luck. I have a breast biopsy on Aug. 23rd. I will be busy! Thanks for the help.
Unread 06-12-2004, 10:19 PM

I don't know how old you are, but I was planning on being the one female in my family to make it to menopause naturally.

I had a baby late in life (46) and loved it (she's number six). I would have had six more. I thought I was pregnant at 52 and was thrilled. Then I found out I had an ovarian growth (my grandmother died from ovarian cancer). I went from doing a pregnancy test to being told I had to have a total hysterectomy, all within about 48 hours.

I prayed for strength and I got it. My surgery was perfect and I feel fantastic. It was a wonderful experience, and I later found out that having the ovaries out lessened my chances of breast cancer.

No regrets at all. I can't speak for you or for anyone, but it was great.
Unread 06-12-2004, 10:21 PM
thanks

Thank you - that is just what I want to hear around now! I am 50.
Unread 06-13-2004, 05:21 AM

I will keep you in my prayers rce! I wish you the very best and for everything to go smoothly for you! Be sure to keep us updated on you!
Unread 06-13-2004, 07:07 AM

I didn't realize you were that 'old' (and trust me, that's not old). I'm now 55 and feel wonderful.

On April 2 I was in a nasty car accident on the freeway (the pickup in front of me didn't secure a queensize box springs which hit me head on when it flew off), so I'm battling that. God was with me because it could have been fatal. It didn't even break the windshield, so I am very fortunate!! I am very, very energetic, & I don't like having to use crutches and be in pain(not horrible, but always there).

I have taken no HRT, nor soy, no substitutes, no nothing. Since my surgery. I do drink green, red, and white teas (I get them from http://www.republicoftea.com/, --I don't work for them!). I eat well--no meat, lots of veggies, nuts, grains and complex carbs.

I can't stand to be nauseaous and out of it. I told the surgeon not to put me on a morphine drip nor do anything for pain until I ask. That mean t I wasn't very loopy after surgery. I finally had some pain meds 12 hours after I woke up, but I wasn't in horrible, horrible pain. It was like mild labor pains or like bad menstral cramps. I got off all pain meds within days.

I had the surgery on Monday and was at Walmart by Friday. Sunday I went to the "Nutcracker" with my daughter, and Monday I was at another daughter's hockey game. I didn't drive, of course, because that strains abdominal muscles.

Anyway, I am a cheerleader for hysterectomies if a woman has to have surgery. Mine was wonderful. I am a believer ("Christian") and the Lord was right there with me the entire time. It turned out I was surrounded by other believers and I could truly feel it. My experience at the hospital was perfect (except for an obnoxious roommate, but that's another story ).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register