Anxious - vaginal prolapse? (and I just want my life back!) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxious - vaginal prolapse?  (and I just want my life back!) Anxious - vaginal prolapse? (and I just want my life back!)

Unread 06-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Anxious - vaginal prolapse? (and I just want my life back!)

Okay. I had a laparoscopic vaginal hyst on June 17. Since I'm 40, almost 41, and have been struggling for years and years, we finally went for the surgery. I awoke to discover everything gone except my right ovary. Apparently I had one of the worst cases of endometriosis that my surgeon says she's ever seen. She seriously said I was a good teaching case for her surgical residents.

I lost 170 pounds over the past several years (no surgery, just life changes), and I was just getting comfy in my new body. Before my surgery I was very fit for the first time in my life, and I exercised regularly. Now at almost 2 weeks out, I'm afraid I'll lose that and never get it back. I'm so horrified at hearing "six months to a year" for total healing. I'm terrified of turning into a bloated couch potato again because I'm not allowed to exercise strenuously.

To get to the point, (sorry) when I went to my first post-op appt., the NP I see was very worried I would try to do too much too soon and mentioned a vaginal prolapse. I'd never even considered such a thing. Now I wake up this morning and I feel like the inside of my vagina is being poked with stitches. The NP said this might happen as they dissolved. Okay, well then I check it out with a mirror "down there" and it looks like my vagina is no more, like it's very swollen and just sort of goes nowhere. This is the first "peek" I've taken... Edited to add: what I mean is that everything looks normal on the outside, until you sort of pull things back a little and look inside -- gah, TMI!

Is this the prelude to a prolapse, or is it normal? I've never had anything like this done to me before and I am having a very hard time with not knowing what's supposed to happen or how I'm supposed to feel. I was all geared up to get back up and on with everything, then I slept for most of the first week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2008, 07:46 PM

i didnt have a vaginal hysterectomy and dont know a real lot about them, but i do know that while having one, the vagina is stretched apart and held apart for the surgery to be performed. i believe swelling, bruising and soreness would be normal after one. i'd call your dr and ask for an appt to be seen tomorrow. dont try to describe that on the phone because you'll only worry if you arent checked in person. i hope everything is okay and you'll be back to your old self and exercising very soon
Unread 06-29-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue
i didnt have a vaginal hysterectomy and dont know a real lot about them, but i do know that while having one, the vagina is stretched apart and held apart for the surgery to be performed. i believe swelling, bruising and soreness would be normal after one.
Thanks, blue! I didn't know it would be held apart the whole time -- then again, we didn't know a 1 hour surgery would turn into a 3 1/2 hour marathon, either. I just wasn't prepared (but really, can you ever be?), and now reality is setting in.

I am planning on doing as you suggest and seeing my NP tomorrow, if I can get in. You're so exactly on the money about wondering and worrying if I try to describe it.

Thanks again for the reply. I feel a bit better now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2008, 11:06 PM

Try not to worry totem, you will get it back. I had 2 surgeries, my TVH in Nov and then another major one in Feb where they took it all. A hip to hip incision, tubes,ovaries, appendix and did repairs everywhere especially all over my bowels from 2 huge abdominal abscesses. I am almost 5 months out from that surgery and I am exercising like I was before. Running, and attending a boot camp with a PT 3X a week. I started back slowly around week 8 and just kept increasing from there as I tolerated it which was much better than I thought I would given the enormity of my surgery. Oh and BTW I am 46.

You were in good shape before so it will come easier this time. Just listen to your Dr's orders and your body. Good job on all that weight loss. That is amazing!!! Oh and one other idea is to maybe see if your Dr agrees if your insurance will pay for a little physical therapy since you had a big surgery. Mine said it would after mine, but I ended up just doing it on my own. I was too sick of Dr's after more than 5 months and 2 surgeries - LOL!!! This way you can get moving safely with supervision.

Cheers to you,

Starbgirl
Unread 06-30-2008, 01:38 AM

The vaj-jj does swell but it will go down I swear. I wouldn't look at mine, my hubby did and he said it was unrecognizeable. I am a month post-op and he said it looks fantastic now (and I could see it in his eyes that it was indeed fantastic lol). I gained some weight, but not too bad - no double digits!! - nothing I can't conquor if I work hard at my eating habits and easing into my routines. By my 4th week I am able to get some exercise for sure now, I get tuckered out but I can definately do some of my old routines. Muscles have memory, you'll bounce back super quick, you will be pleasantly surprised. I am surprised I don't look worse for sure!! You do have to rest, that is your job so you can return to yourself. I had to lay around a few days on my 3rd week as I began bleeding again - i did better on my 2nd week. It was frustrating but I did it (not happy about it but did it) and it paid off for my 4th. I finally hit that mark of returning. You are worried about your old you- you are not that person anymore, it is old fears returning, they are not factual. Don't feel you are not helping your body, you are busy doing something very important for your body now. I got very anxious before & after the hyster as well.........I think lots of us did, you are totally on track....be well girl and watch for your positive progress!
Unread 06-30-2008, 05:24 PM

Thanks so much, guitara and Starbgirl! I needed the reassurance badly. I went to my doc today and she said everything is totally normal and looks good. She said it is a lot of normal swelling I'm seeing -- like you said, guitara, unrecognizable!

But we talked about what I could and couldn't do in a more realistic way, and she was very relieved to hear me say that the reality that it was not going to be an instant recovery was sinking in. As you said, I am doing something important for my body right now -- healing.

So, I'm reassured on both levels. I'm so glad to hear you say that the physical fitness will come back and all that. I do a lot of yard work and got the clearance to do weeding and gardening, as long as I sat on a cushion on the ground and didn't lift anything much. Of course, I'll probably get out there and get tired in 10 minutes.

So, first order of business is a lot of ! And doc said I could walk on my treadmill, just nothing heavy-duty and of course, no running. So I'm very buoyed by all that.

Thanks again, everyone!
Unread 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbgirl
Try not to worry totem, you will get it back. I had 2 surgeries, my TVH in Nov and then another major one in Feb where they took it all. A hip to hip incision, tubes,ovaries, appendix and did repairs everywhere especially all over my bowels from 2 huge abdominal abscesses. I am almost 5 months out from that surgery and I am exercising like I was before. Running, and attending a boot camp with a PT 3X a week. I started back slowly around week 8 and just kept increasing from there as I tolerated it which was much better than I thought I would given the enormity of my surgery. Oh and BTW I am 46.

You were in good shape before so it will come easier this time. Just listen to your Dr's orders and your body. Good job on all that weight loss. That is amazing!!! Oh and one other idea is to maybe see if your Dr agrees if your insurance will pay for a little physical therapy since you had a big surgery. Mine said it would after mine, but I ended up just doing it on my own. I was too sick of Dr's after more than 5 months and 2 surgeries - LOL!!! This way you can get moving safely with supervision.

Cheers to you,

Starbgirl
Thank you! about my weight loss. I feel very good about it, myself. I was hoping it would fix some of my gyn problems, but that was not to be, so...

Anyway, your ordeal sounds much worse than mine! Yikes! I'm so glad to hear you're 5 months out and back to your old life. Hopefully I'll be the same!
Unread 06-30-2008, 05:38 PM

I had the LVAH/BSO and am 7 weeks out. I started exercising last week, which included weight lifting, ab work, aerobics, etc. And I'm no where in the shape that you sound like. Also I will be 51 next month and seriously need to lose 20 to 30 pounds. I too felt the swelling that you were talking about. I had my surgery for a prolapsed uterus and was also scared that my bladder and everything else had prolapsed around week 3. Everytime I walked on my treadmill, it felt like something was rubbing. That feeling has since left, so I assume the swelling has too. I go to the doctor this Thursday and she will be checking my insides out. She gave me the ok to do what I wanted at 2 weeks, so between the tiredness and slight cramping, I have got back to feeling 100%. Now if I can continue the exercising and maybe my eating I will get this weight off. You are an inspiration to me. I am sure you will be feeling fine in no time. Just take it easy and allow yourself the time to heal properly. Good luck.
Unread 06-30-2008, 07:24 PM

I am almost 7 weeks post VH for a prolapse, cystocyle and rectocyle. I have repairs in my vaginal wall for the rectocyle, plus the cuff at the end. I was TERRIFIED when I first took a peep, I think it was about week 2. Outside looked normal (except shaved, which itched like crazy) but inside was completely unrecognizable and I felt very swollen. Today I had my post op check, I have granulation tissue on the cuff and at the repair so I had silver nitrate applied (ouch, then sting, then discharge like crazy). I am 57 and fairly fit, all things considered. My Dr. said no to intercourse (until the incisions heal properly) and yes to the rest of my life, so today I took a long walk with my two dogs (90 lbs and 60 lbs) and did some lite weights. When I was at two or three weeks post op I got tired from going out to lunch, so please take it easy, listen to your body (not the voice in your head that fills you full of fear about getting out of shape). If I can get/stay in shape at 57, you certainly can, and you will. It is easier to prevent than correct, so take care of yourself during this short (in comparison to your life) recovery period.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register