No overies, No period? Is it true? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No overies, No period? Is it true? No overies, No period? Is it true?

Unread 03-03-2008, 10:36 AM
No overies, No period? Is it true?

Hi ladies! I'm scheduled for a LSH/BSO on March 10th. I'm hoping I celebrated my last period on Friday the 29th. I've tried to read and research the answer to this question, but hopefully I'll get an answer here.....If my overies, tubes, uterus are removed (everything except my cervix) will I still have a "monthly monster?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Nope. No period. It is apparently possible for a few women to have miniperiods if they keep their ovaries and cervix, but if you are giving up the ovaries you won't have a period.
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:12 AM

Hi...Thank you for the reply....YEAH!!!! There is light at the end of the tunnel!!! I'm just ready to start feeling better.....Here's to a new beginning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Your "period" is caused by your uterus shedding unneeded endometrial tissue. If you have your uterus removed, you will not have any more periods.

Many women keep their ovaries, if healthy and there is no family hystory or other risk for cancer. Ovaries can continue to provide hormones for many years. If you keep your ovaries and your cervix, there is a chance for the "mini-periods" that have been mentioned. Your ovaries will still cycle.

Many times the severe periods are caused by the diseased state of the uterus, so the monthy cycling of the ovaries are not always that bad. Without the ovaries, most women need some HRT which some women find doesn't replace all the good that their ovaries were providing before.

Have you discussed the possibility of keeping your ovaries with your Dr? Personally, if I had healthy ovaries and had to chose between having my ovaries or cervix removed, I would choose to remove the cervix and keep my ovaries.

s,
Kay
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM

Kay,
Thank you for the information! It makes sense finally...My ovaries are not in very good shape. I have two large growths on them, therefore they are going on permanent vacation with the rest of the parts....They can become the gargoyles that guard the castle! I'm going to try going without HRT at first...We'll see how I do. In case I do need them, any suggestions on what works best or is it too personal a decision for each woman?
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcgolfer
I'm going to try going without HRT at first...We'll see how I do. In case I do need them, any suggestions on what works best or is it too personal a decision for each woman?
Here is a link to the Hormone Therapy articles. You might want to read through them to learn as much as you can.

It is true that we are all different and have different needs, what works for me or even your mom or a sister, might not work for you. I would suggest that you learn as much as you can ahead of time, so you will be able to recognize the symptoms and know how to approach your Dr with further questions.

s and Best Wishes,
Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register