Anyone else take blood thinners? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else take blood thinners? Anyone else take blood thinners?

Unread 02-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Anyone else take blood thinners?

I am 42 years old and have been having problems with my cycle for about 2.5 years now. My periods last anywhere from 7 days to 4 months and are extremely heavy. I was put on birth control pills to try to control the bleeding and had a pulmonary embolism in 2010. As a consquence I am now taking warfarin for life. For about a year after the PE my periods did regulate themselves but over the last year have gotten progressively worse again. I usually have to wear 2 overnight pads at a time and often have to resort to depends to sleep. This last period was exceptionally heavy and I ended up severly anemic, requiring a blood transfusion. Due to the blood thinners my doctors have been hesistant to perform any kind of surgery but now believe that it is necessary due to the fact that my periods are becoming potentially more dangerous than the surgery.

I have a robotic (da vinci) hysterectomy scheduled for 3/7. I am scared due to my situation with the blood thinners but I am also excited at the prospect of no longer having to deal with my period. It had affected every aspect of my life.

While I have my period I avoid being away from the house for too long because I don't want to have to use a public restroom (it literally looks like a crime scene after I just pee). I often have to shower and change multiple times a day. I am spending a fortune in products. Traveling with it is a nightmare. Sex is almost impossible. Overall I just can't enjoy life like I should.

I know this is a pre op support thread but I was wondering in case anyone who has been through this comments here or if anyone who is preparing to have the surgery is on blood thinners maybe they could share their thoughts or experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Re: Anyone else take blood thinners?

sorry i am not much help, i have the opposite problem. i have to take DDAVP before surgery which will help me to clot.

I hope that you get your answers tho.

hugs
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:04 AM

Thanks Jan, I guess any surgery is scary. I have an appt with my hemotologist in a couple of weeks so hopefully she will be able to answer a lot of my questions. Good luck with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM

I was taking baby aspirin, but stopped about ten days before my surgery date. I will be sure to tell the anesthesiologist about it and that I bruise easily.
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Hi

I have Factor V Leiden blood so my blood is more likely to clot. I take a daily dose of aspirin. Prior to surgery I stopped my aspirin the day before and I was given a heparin (blood thinner injection) every day whilst in hospital and a further two weeks supply to inject myself with at home.

My Dad was on warfarin for years and years. He had to have surgery and came off the warfarin a few days before the op and then had heparin injections.

Hopefully something like this can be organised for you.
Unread 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM

bjj12, that sounds like what the Dr was talking about. He said that I would need to be heparinized before and after the surgery. Is it hard to give yourself the injections?
Unread 02-08-2012, 02:11 PM

hlaroo, I'm really glad you found this site. You ask great questions and you'll be able to get a great deal of support here. Self injecting the heparin will be very easy for you to do and it's a teeny little poke so pain will not be an issue. I'm excited for you to have this surgery; it's life changing.
Unread 02-08-2012, 02:28 PM

Thank you Sharona, I am glad I found it too. This has been a great source of information and solace.
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:48 PM

Hi Hlaoroo

I am very squeamish and I found it really easy to do. The syringes I had were all pre-loaded. The needle is really fine. You inject into your tummy. It really doesn't hurt. The syringes I had then sort of popped out a cover once you have injected to cove the needle.

I was given heparin sometime during the surgery and then the nurses in hospital gave me an injection every night.

Don't worry about it - it is really easy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register