Going In Not Knowing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going In Not Knowing Going In Not Knowing

Unread 01-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Going In Not Knowing

Scheduled for 2/8, but don't know extent of what they will find. Opted to skip the "research" lap with Dr to minimize time down, cost, etc. Version A, hyst out through belly button, leave ovaries. Version B, ovaries out, too (if endo is around). Version C, everything out with an incision (depends on size of uterus). Also have cyst on R ovary...uterus covering up most of L ovary. What is the most important thing you needed to know before you went in?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Going In Not Knowing

It's terrible not knowing huh dallas?! I didn't know what exactly was going to happen with my hyst until I woke up. The most important I knew going into the OR was that my Doc was perfectly capable of making the decision of what was best for me and what was going to allow him to do his job. When I woke up I found out that I had a TAH but they kept both my ovaries.

Best of luck to you!

's,
Carrie
Unread 01-24-2005, 02:31 PM
hi there

hi there

had my LSH on jan 10

feel great!! everything gone but cervix-endo didnt affect that

i had a lap done in oct-i understand what you were saying about cost GEEZ-crazy what a simple operation costsBUT im glad i did do it prior because i felt prepared on what to expect-only this time i felt tons better afterwards

if i did it all over again i would/not do the following

1-WOULDask the anstethiologist to put the medicine in my IV to prevent me from getting sick-the one in oct did-i had no probs-the recent surgery different anastethiologist DIDNT i got home tues and threw up for the next 9 hrs-not fun when your tummy is the main source of heaving oy!! not fun

2-WOULDtake my own pillow to hospital

3-WOULD have scheduled the surgery months ago!

4-WOULDNT do the stairs 5x= 3 days after surgery no no no

5-WOULDNT drive 5 days after either-still a bit groggy and tummy sore-you dont realize how much you use your tummy muscles until they are sore

everything else i would do again to feel this good!

any questions let me know

in regards to plan a b or c if you have severe endo like i did-20+ days of bleeding, horrible pelvic pain (endo and uterus lining adhered itslef to my pelvic bone causing MAJOR pain) its a possibility it will come back full force GET RID OF IT ALL-i think you will be happy later that you know it wont come back and you wont have any more periods or pain! my opinion anyway-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2005, 03:40 PM
TAH 2/3/04

I will think of you while I am trying to recupe from my surgery. I am not scared of the surgery as I am all the hubbub that happens before & after, Just when you want left alone everybody wants something from you.
I am also very dedicated to my job & hate to be away for more than a week. I feel like no one can do anything as well as I can but I imagine that will change drastically after all the happy drugs.
I am not sure if my cervix is being taken. The doctor said she was thinking about it but nothing definite yet. I don't really care as long as all my problems end.

Anyway My thoughts are with you
Unread 01-24-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm here with you.

Hello Dallas,
I am scheduled for the 8th of Feb as well. Unfortunately I did go throught the Lap. on Dec. 22 (3 days before Christmas Yuch.) So I'm not going in completely blind I know whats coming out and how he's going to do it but, I don't know what to expect from there? I am terrified. I don't like not feeling good. But I figure I have to do it now or I'll feel bad for the rest of my life. My Husband says I have a Triple Crown on women problems. I have really bad adhesions, Endometriosis(sp), vericrose Veins, etc. I'll welcome the vacation (;-) and I'm looking forward to no more Aunt Flow.

Anyways good luck I'll be thinking of you. I hope all goes well. Maybe we can keep intouch and help each other through it.

C
Unread 01-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Going In Not Knowing

I'm in the same boat as some of you ladies - scheduled for my surgery this Friday, but won't know until I wake up how/what they take! It's supposed to be LASH - keeping cervix, but I'm borderline between able to do it lapracopically or TAH.

That's the creepy part - not knowing how I'll feel afterward, I could feel pretty good - having all of this out of me, or I could feel really crummy if they have to do an abdominal after all.

I just can't think about it anymore. Everytime I let my mind drift to the events of Friday, I get this little stomach flip!

Unread 01-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Going In Not Knowing

I too went into the surgery not knowing what the outcome would be. I was having severe pelvic pain probably from major inflammatory response of an endometrioma rupture, dilation and biopsy of cervix gave me endomyometritis, and had lots of left flank pain prior to periods, hematuria, IBS symptoms, and urinary urgency. Endo was seen on a lap in 2003, but had no treatment. When I was in so much pain, a lap was scheduled in a one day surgery center 24 days later. After 2 weeks, I went and spoke to my Dr as I did not want to have 2 surgeries. So I only waited 3 more weeks for TAH/BSO. They were gonna try lap, but once they got in they opened my Csection as I had thick bands of adhesions on L ovary, bowel, and bladder, along with other things. I didn't know what I would wake up with, but really wanted them to take the works as I could not take the pain anymore and did not want multiple surgeries.

What I would have done differently:
I would not have eaten the regular diet they gave me the next day as my bowels had not woken up and I was not ready for food. Gave me intense belly/gas pain.
I would have made sure to call the nurse when I needed my meds every 4 hours instead of thinking they would come automatically.
I should have waited for the wheelchair to bring me to my car instead of walking as transport was taking over an hour and my ride was waiting.

The things I did right was to follow the discharge orders regarding activities and restrictions. Had lots of help for my son, and had the house stocked with food and cleaned up. I learned to play supervisor at home and delegate jobs.

Good luck to all the preop sisters!
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:18 AM
did this in march 2004

dallasdmc,

I did this in March 2004. I went in thinking I may have cancer and may wake up with a complete hyst. I woke up missing the left O only. Turned out to be endo. I will be going back in 2/22/05 for the rest to come out. While I am excited about this I find myself wishing the gyn had taken it all the first time around. A little whinny these days.

Any way, I was very nervous not knowing what I was going to wake up to. But once I got to the *** and everything go to rolling I calmed down a lot.

I'm afraid I can not be a lot o help here, but I do wish I had told my dr just to take everything first time. I know I would have felt much better. Talk to your dr. and make sure s/he well understands what you want before you go. Tell him under what things you want to have a complete and what you feel would be worth leaving say an O. That way the dr does not have to make that choice for you. You still go in with stress of not knowing just what will be done, but at least you will have some peace in knowing that your dr will do what you have adviced. I think that would have helped me out.

Best wishes and prayers.
Take a good long hot soak in lavander with a good book and a nice glass or cup of tea. That helps me keep relaxed these days.
Unread 01-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Going In Not Knowing

Thanks so much for the contact. As I've gone down this path, I've done my best to be thorough as well as pragmatic about the treatment options. We have been blessed by two amazing little girls as well as losing a little one during this journey over the past 6 years, so I am not complaining.
However, I've pretty much ignored my body for a number of years where the pain is concerned...so many good things in life and so many others in worse shape than I. But, I finally gave in yesterday and filled my RX for pain meds, so I think keeping me in constant pain is God's way to gently remind me that this does need to be taken care of. I've been keeping myself too busy to listen to what His plan is for me, but I can assure you, He's got my attention now!
Best of luck with your treatment and outcome.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register