Fibroids and "Fluff" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids and "Fluff" Fibroids and "Fluff"

Unread 06-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Fibroids and "Fluff"

Hi!

After a ton of tests and ultrasounds on my huge fibroid, my OB/GYN informed me that I will need a hysterectomy in a couple of weeks. I have read so many things lately. One of the fibroid websites that I read said that fibroids is no reason to have a hysterectomy and made it sound almost sinful to even have the surgery. I talked to my doc about it and he told me that due to the size and placement of the fibroid that a hysterectomy is necessary for me. I trust my doc. He is very meticulous and would not do anything unnecessarily.

I do have two questions. The first question is I am a rather "fluffy"
gal, being around 270. Will my size affect my healing time? Is there anything I can do now to prepare my mind and body for this major surgery and help promote healing? Any info you have for me would be a blessing.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Fibroids and "Fluff"

Hi Nancy,

I was diagnosed with fibroids years ago but since I had no troublesome symptoms, my doc and I didn't feel it was necessary to do anything but watch them.

This last February, we discovered that they had grown quite large and he sent me to a gynecologist and to have a CT scan. The scan showed a very large mass, and the Gyn told me that it was pressing against a kidney. She recommended not waiting long to have a hyst, and scheduled a tenative date of April 26th, less than a month later.

I was rather stunned as I'd planned to wait and see(despite noticing some enlargement of my abdomen) as long as I developed no problems. I decided, though, that somethng pressing against a kidney WAS a problem, so went ahead and had a TAV as well as both ovaries removed. Turns out I had 2 very large fibroids which were in danger of causing an infection.

I also did some reading on fibroids before I even saw the Gyn and i know what you mean about the attitudes. I would agree that small fibroids that are causing no symptoms aren't a reason to have a hyst. Many times they will degenerate at menopause or even before, with no problems. So, I'd suggest to someone who is having no breakthrough and/or heavy bleeding, pain, or rapid enlargement to just monitor the situation.

On the other h and, severe pain, bleeding, rapid enlargement and/or threats to other organs may require a hyst, especially if alternative treatments (like removal of the fibroid only) are not an option, which wasn't for me and sounds like it isn't for you.

I think this is a very personal decision that a woman needs to make taking into consideration the informed opinions of her doctors, and her quality of life.

Regarding your fluffiness (that's cute!) it may affect you're healing in that you may find it more difficult to move around those first couple of weeks or so when it's hard to get up and down in bed and chairs. I'm sure there are others here who could help you from their own experiences.

Mentally and emotionally....well....like me, you don't have a lot of time to prepare--this is all a surprise, in a way! I think reading this site will help tremendously; I know it did me! Also, I hope you have a doctor like mine; one who is willing to answer your questions, and who encourgaes you to call. Is y our Doc also your surgeon? My Gyn did my surgery and I'm glad she did it,and not a general surgeon. Just makes it easier.

Whew! Sorry to be long-winded! I hope I've helped some. I know how scary this is, especially with little time to prepare.

Take care!
Becky
Unread 06-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Fibroids and "Fluff"

Part of your heaing issues will of course depend upon exactly which form of surgery you have. I'm 5'7" and about 225. I had a TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy) with a bikini cut. The scar is right where my fluff naturally folded over anyway, so it didn't cause me any big cosmetic issues. Had I known it was possible to have a tummy tuck or panniculectomy at the time of surgery, I would have definitely considered it, but alas I'll just have to attack my fluffiness on my own. It's ever so much easier to diet and exercise now that I'm not exhausted by anemia any more.

To prepare the body - start eating as absolutely healthy as you can, drink PLENTY of water in advance to help flush the toxins out. If you have some time before your surgery, start working in a walking routine - you're going to be walking a lot in recovery, so now's a great time to scout out routes in your neighborhood and using a pedometer to measure how far different landmarks are from your front door. If you smoke, try to at least cut back if you can. The more oxygen your body can get, the faster you're recover from anesthesia.

To prepare the mind - I used a relaxation CD to start working on deep, slow breathing and relaxing the body so I could get plenty of rest. Stress can really play havoc with your emotions, especially during the pre-op weeks. The better you can handle the stress, the more even keeled you'll be able to stay. Also, do something pampering for yourself at least once a week. Manicure, pedicure, hair cut, bubble bath, you get the idea.

To prepare the house - take a look around at your furniture and its placement. You're going to need to be able to get out of bed, off the potty and out of the comfy seating in your home without using your abs much at first. I used a walker that I bought at a thrift store for those first few weeks and then donated it back to them. It was great for getting out of bed, etc. Do you have tables placed so that you can set down a drink and snack wherever you're going to rest? A tall stool (not so tall to have to climb, but tall enough to keep you up higher than a standard chair) is very helpful for when you first venture back into the kitchen to cook for yourself. I found because my fluff wanted to hang, it was difficult to stand still with the surgical scar still healing. A stool makes it much easier to cut veggies, wash dishes, stir a simmering pot, etc.

There are tons of resources here about what to take with you to the hospital, hints on making recovery easier. Do have a good look around...you'll be amazed at what you can learn from this Sisterhood!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Fibroids and "Fluff"

I was overweight at the time of surgery, but instead of doing the incision in the "fold" he did it just a little higher where there would be no chance of rubbing or moisture that could naturally be in the fold from the incision. It healed beautifully with no problems.
Unread 06-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Fibroids and "Fluff"

Hi -- I spent 10 years in pain from fibroids before looking at every alternative to hysterectomy. If I were younger (I'm 58), I would have gone with Uterine Fibroid Embolization. This is an amazing procedure that shrinks the fibroids to the point they no longer cause problems.

This procedure has been done for 10 years -- in my opinion, many gynecologists are against it (it's done by an interventional radiologist so it takes away their business). My doctor is younger and thinks it is a great option. If you are pre-menopausal, you may want to check it out on the internet.

Anyway, fluffiness should not be a problem -- just check all our options so you are comfortable with you decision.

Hugs,
Travelcat
Unread 06-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Fibroids and "Fluff"

My original ob/gyn pretty much abandoned me because she said she wasn't comfortable doing a hysterectomy. She felt I should just keep taking increased dosages of Provera and wait for menopause when the fibroids might shrink. At first my only symptom was bleeding for 2-2.5 weeks a month. That was bad enough but as the fibroids grew I started to have lots of pain and pressure. I was peeing several times a night and constipated most of the time. I talked to my primary care doctor and another surgeon. Both said a hysterectomy would solve my problems. I found another Gyn who also agreed.

I'm 5 weeks out of surgery and doing well. I'm so glad to have that bulge out of my abdomen. I'm also fluffy but had no problems because of it. It makes it harder to get in and out of bed but my arms and legs are strong from biking and swimming so that helped a lot. You have to work a little harder keeping the incision clean and dry but mine has completely healed.
Unread 06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Fibroids and "Fluff"

If you opt for surgery the anesthesiologist (A-man as they say here) will most likely ask you if you snore. Mine did when I had the laparoscopy (look-see surgery as I think of it). It's no big deal if you do snore. A lot of us fluffy gals do. It just gives the doctor an idea of what he will need to do for you.

Best Wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register