Just got the news -- 9 large-ish fibroids, hyst in my future - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just got the news -- 9 large-ish fibroids, hyst in my future Just got the news -- 9 large-ish fibroids, hyst in my future

Unread 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Re: Just got the news -- 9 large-ish fibroids, hyst in my future

MatyMoo, I wonder if that is the case with me -- almost everything you described are things I thought came with getting to be a middle-aged lady.

Well, I have a lot more research to do, but your positive outcome sure made me smile!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2009, 09:14 PM

Lori! This website has terrific information along with the experiences from all the ladies. I had less than three weeks from the time I was given the hysterectomy recommendation by my to my surgery date. Those days were filled with gathering info, reviewing websites, talking to friends, etc.

Read the Pre-Op Resources and all about options. I wish I had found this site sooner. Best wishes on your decision.
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:44 AM

Hi Twina001 -- whoa, less than three weeks? Wow! I'm glad that I have not been given that sort of timeline; I hope to get time with my gyn once I am back from a business trip this week to walk through the ultrasound with her and see what she is seeing. Thanks for the good wishes, and I hope you are doing well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2009, 07:05 PM

I should be doing well-- I'll definitely know in a couple of days -- hopefully I'm cleared at that time. You're doing right in talking with your doc and gathering information. Keep up your info search. Take care.
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:59 PM

Oh my gosh!!! I had 3 fibroids and i cant imagine how you feel with 9. I suffered from Sept until Feb when i had my surgery. I bled massively for weeks at a time. I tried hormone therapy but this didnt help me. I did not want the surgery but i went ahead and had it. I now believe this surgery saved my life. I would never want anyone to go through all the bleeding that i did. I never wanted to go anywhere. I just wanted to be near a bathroom. I know this is a tough decision to make but its your decision. At first i would get angry when people kept telling me to have the surgery but i know they only wanted me to get well. Lots of prayers is what is getting me through all of this. I return to work on Wednesday. Not looking forward to that!! I feel so much better than before and no more bleeding!! I just dont have my energy back completely. I get tired fast. I hope you get well and im saying a prayer for you. Take care
Unread 04-14-2009, 04:32 PM

My advice is to not put it off! I found out about my fibroids 4 years ago and just told myself maybe they would go away if I ate better and exercised more. But it only got worse.

I got a second opinion and did a lot of research. But by the time I was ready my only option was a TAH.

I am 4 weeks post op and already feel so much better. I really just could not convince myself that my feeling bad was from that. But it is was. Wish I would have made the decision 4 years ago! Good Luck!
Unread 04-14-2009, 09:23 PM

Hi, ssohio!

Thanks for the nudge -- it's been so busy at work I haven't had time to call my insurance company to find out if they cover a second opinion, set a second opinion doc appt, what I need to do if I decide to have surgery, etc.

I am very glad to hear you're feeling much better! The shock of hearing about my nine fibroids has worn off, and now I'm realizing that a lot of my middle aged lady discomforts may have something to do with them...although I'm not yet positive, I am leaning towards some form of hyst to take care of this.

Again...thanks for stopping by and sharing!
Unread 04-17-2009, 04:30 AM

Hi Lori,

Just like you I just found that I have 10 large fibroids, one so large that it can hide my appendix (Which they thought I had first an appenditis). I also have an enlarge uterus the size of 4 month pregnant woman. Which is funny to me because when I was pregnant with my three children I barely had a tummy at all.

But here is what I guess shocks every one the most is I am only 30 years old. my youngest is 8 years old and after he was born I had a tubligation and I have had this pain since then but I never looked into it I thought that I had a tender fat belly. It was much my surprise when I could not take it any more went to work and was examined. Originally thy thought that I had a bowel obstruction (much worse I gess) and lord and behold there they were 10 fibroids just hiding out & I had just had a pelvic only a month before and told me that my now getting even heavier period was just me gaining weight.

Well on Monday I will find out when we will have this surgery & I think once they actually tell me and it becomes a reality then I will start freaking out. Right now I am on vicodin because I am still having pain's in my lower abodmen, that shoot into my leg. I have to go to the bathroom every few minutes and 3 days before my period is suppose to start it feels like the babies that I can no longer have are kicking me from with in. I have so much pressure I tell them I am going to give birth to a uterus any day now.

Well I that is my surgery, thanks for reading I guess I will check in soon after my appointment on Monday and let you know what is being decided.
Unread 04-17-2009, 04:16 PM

Hi Katy,
I am 46 years old and learned in February that I had a very large fibroid. The first surgeon I saw recommended a vaginal hysterectomy. I was not symptomatic, no heavy periods or significant pain. I listened to lots of other women on this message board and got a second opinion. I requested an MRI and learned that my fibroid was outside of my uterus and about the size of a honey dew melon. I had a myomectomy, which is just removal of the fibroid on Monday. I still have my uterus and ovaries. If all of your fibroids are in the uterus that might not be an option for you, but definitely get a second opinion. There are many different treatments for fibroids. I loved my 2nd MD, and I am so glad that I took the time to get a second opinion.
Unread 04-17-2009, 06:12 PM

Hey everyone! It has been a wild work week; I'm prepping for a business conference, and you can imagine how much more fun it is with my "special effects"! ;-)

Anyway, sorry I haven't been by to respond to your great support.

Moneybunny, thanks for sharing your positive outcome. I think what freaked me out was being aware of something going on, figuring it was just "middle-aged lady-ness" and then hearing I had as many fibroids as Santa had reindeer (plus Rudolph), and four of them are about the size of tennis balls. Sheeesh! Thanks ever so much for your prayers, and I hope you get your perkiness back soon.

Classylady, 10, OMG! I will send you good thoughts, and I hope you have smooth sailing once your "special guests" are gone. We're all here for you!

Stunned, I am going for a second opinon next week--a good surgeon (of course I know he'll recommend surgery, but still...) who cleaned up some endo and small fibroids for me about 15 years ago. He'll be able to give me some info about where my "reindeer" are specifically...unless, of course, I've gone from a uterus to a "uteroid". Anyway, I am so glad you had a good outcome and your second MD did right by you. Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register