Scheduled TVH Bundle of Nerves | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bundle of Nerves Bundle of Nerves

Unread 10-29-2010, 04:54 AM
Bundle of Nerves

I am sched for 11/22 for a vag hysterectomy along with bladder and rectal prolapse surgery. I am a total wreck!! Waiting this length of time is so difficult. Can anyone assist in what to expext in the hospital post surgery...pain level etc?? Also finding it so difficult even with stool softeners to have a bm. UGGHH!!! I can I get myself more relaxed about this surgery...I know I will feel much better after but getting there is a bog process...tears, tears and more tears!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Re: Bundle of Nerves

I had surgery this past Tuesday. While I didn't have the same procedures I did have a lot done - started with a daVinci hysterectomy for fibroids but the doctor found endometriosis, and it was all around several other parts so she ended up doing a bikini cut too to make sure she got all the right stuff out. Ended up taking my right ovary and appendix too.

I was really pleasantly surprised with my pain level afterward. When I woke up in recovery I'd say it was about a 6 or 7, but they quickly got the morphine pump going and it wasn't bad after that. The worst part that day was transferring from the gurney to my bed in the room. The nurses offered to do it for me if it hurt too bad, but it really wasn't that bad at all. I figured I would need to start doing stuff on my own asap to get out of there so may as well go ahead! That day I stayed in bed all day (only standing up once briefly around 10 p.m.) and used the pump quite a bit, not that I really felt I needed it but I figured I'd stay ahead of the pain. Plus it helped me sleep.

The next morning after I started eating the IV (and morphine pump) came out along with my catheter (really not bad at all!) and a couple of hours later I took my first walk to the bathroom. The worst part is standing up and then sitting back down again. I got up many times that day and over the next night, then came home yesterday. I think I took two percoset tablets the day after surgery (and some motrin) and one yesterday before the ride home. Since I've been home I've only taken motrin (800 mg.) and my pain has not been bad at all. So nice sleeping in my own bed last night! I slept well and the only reason I got up was my back was tired of being in the same position, since I can only sleep on my back right now.

For me the pain before surgery from the fibroids and endometriosis was much worse. I can tell I am going to feel so much better once I've healed.

Hope that helps. Best wishes to you!!
Unread 10-29-2010, 08:16 AM

Hi!
I am having vaginal hyst and wall repair because of rectocele on Monday, November 1st. I'll let you know how it goes!
I am calm, cool, and collected. Meals prepared, some more cleaning of house this weekend - I will need to keep my mind and body busy. Bought new jammies so I can maintain my cuteness. lol
This surgery is not a surprise to God - it was all in the plans. I trust him with my life on this earth and, more importantly for eternal life. I think I am more worried about my hubby than anything - he was tearful when we discussed it a couple of weeks ago. He will make a very good nurse and I plan on being pampered a smidge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Thank you for your words of encouragement!!! It is the anticipation of waiting another 3 weeks that is really getting me down. It seems like quite alot to endure and I am fearful not ever having a previous surgery. I keep telling myself that I will feel much better with both of the potty duties once I have this hysterctomy, bladder and rectal prolapse repaired. Just so anxious about it
Unread 10-29-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2dogs View Post
I am sched for 11/22 for a vag hysterectomy along with bladder and rectal prolapse surgery. I am a total wreck!! Waiting this length of time is so difficult. Can anyone assist in what to expext in the hospital post surgery...pain level etc?? Also finding it so difficult even with stool softeners to have a bm.
((hugs to you ))

The waiting for me was bad too, and believe me, I was literally shaking when I slid onto the operating table and they had to ask me to keep moving my butt so that I was in the middle. But I had no reason to be that fearful, it went well and it will for you too.

For me, I was surprised at both the fast healing time, the fact that I could walk right after the operation and in fact climbed stairs, but was in a bit more pain than I expected the first couple days due to the trapped gas. I felt the gas from my waist to my shoulders, it just had nowhere to go. My doctor told us on the phone that besides the CO2 they pump into your belly during surgery, the anesthesia also greatly contributes to gas. Believe me, I needed that Percocet every 4 hours. The morphine pump I didn't really use because I slept a lot. But use it, because without warning, a nurse will come in an disconnect it, and there may be a little bit of a lag between that time and the time they administer different meds. They may even need to call the doctor for orders.

What I'd recommend is use your family and friends. If they're there, let them find out for you what the standing doctor orders are. What meds are authorized in the chart? Will they have to call? Make sure they're ready. Friends and Family can also help you walk down the hallway. A relative of mine gave me a shoulder massage and for some reason that helped a lot. Maybe it relaxed me, maybe it moved around the gas, I don't know but she worked on that left side and suddenly I was breathing easier.

My catheter was not painful to take out, she took it out quickly, it hurt a bit but not bad at all. The packing taken out of me did not hurt. You have to prove you can pee after they remove the catheter, otherwise you'll stay another day. Not a big deal, take it one day at a time.

As far as a BM, prior to the surgery I was given this lemony citrate stuff to drink, just a small bottle of it, to cause the runs and clear out my intestines. You may get something similar. After the operation I was on clear liquids. Then I was on soft food, then regular food. I was constipated for a few days while on Percocet (side effect), then went after getting off the meds. Remember that stool softeners don't create movement, they just make it easier once you are able to go. For me, I couldn't go until I got off the Percocet. You may end up using a laxative if you're not successful after a few days.

Good luck and don't worry!
Unread 10-29-2010, 07:53 PM

I also had to schedule my surgery a month in advance and the waiting stinks! The mind plays tricks on us and if we're not careful, anxiety can get the best of us. I am now 10 days post-op. It was NOTHING like I expected. I didn't find this site till after surgery. You're already ahead of me. Learn as much as you can. Ask questions. It helps. Like our other sisters have said, the surgery itself isn't bad. As my husband put it, I got the easy part of the procedure, I got to sleep right through it :-)

Keep in touch with your HysterSisters. They are a great support team, and someone always seems to be awake to reply no matter what time it is.

Best wishes to you!
Chrissy
Unread 10-29-2010, 09:28 PM

I'm just a week ahead of you, luvmy2dogs. We scheduled enough in advance so we could find and train a temp to do my job while I'm out. We found one, and she starts next week. I've kept myself busy at work making a 'How To' book for her, and getting things ready for her (as well as my regular duties!). My boss has been so great. We laugh a lot with each other, and she teases that she doesn't expect the temp to stay long, since I'm only going to be out for a day or two. Yes, she's kidding! )

At home, I'm knitting up a storm, along with doing things around the house to try and get ready. I've found the busier I am, the less I think about it and the faster the time goes by. I hope things go the same for you!
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:08 AM

Thank you again for all of your support...I am taking your advise and trying to stay busy between work and home. I find sitting gives me the blues and the crying needs to stop!! Hope to get some houshold jobs done this week-end and will soon work on a food list for some meals that can be prepared ahead in the freezer. Sleep seems to me an issue for me right now, very difficult to turn this mind off. Your support is so appreciated..I take comfort in knowing others are managing in the same state as I am. Good luck to you all♥
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Same thing with me, cdweer81. I just found this site. These girls are way ahead of the game to be logging in, getting information, getting support. I was so ignorant going into surgery, so clueless.
Unread 10-31-2010, 07:47 PM

Hello there,
Just wanted to send some reassurance your way for your surgery. I had a TVH with cystocele and rectocele repairs - also TVT bladder sling and cysts on ovaries removed WHEW -
I have to say that it went really well. My pain was under control from the start and I am very pleased so far.
I was in the hospital from Tuesday until Thursday. I was walking and moving well Wednesday and the only real obstacle if you can even call it that is once I was home the body dictates that you are going to lay down and when hahaha Sometimes I am up for 2 hours and sometimes I make it 5/6 hours. I guess we are all different and as long as we take it easy and let our bodies heal we will be better faster. I was off pain meds by Sunday following surgery.
I have to agree waiting for the surgery was the hardest part, just try to find your comfort and calm space of acceptance.
I still breathe deep in and out while I think about my body healing and how much better I feel already.
Good Luck
Shawnlee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register