Curious re C section vs TAH - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Curious re C section vs TAH Curious re C section vs TAH

Unread 10-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Curious re C section vs TAH

I guess it depends on alot of different things. My c-sections were so long ago (1976, 1979) that I can't remember enough to compare them. I don't think that I could have taken care of a baby right after this surgery like I did when I had the c-sections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2005, 09:02 AM

I have a 1, 4, and 6 year old - all delivered via c-section. I had a TAH in September. I can assure you, a hysterectomy is much harder on the body. My doctor gave me the impression before the surgery that it might not be as bad as a c-section. Boy was she wrong! I believe since your body has 9 months to prepare for the birth of a child, it is much easier to heal from a c-section. There is much more "manipulation" of the organs for a hysterectomy. The incision is the same (my doctor has cut the same place 4 times now, plus one other time due to an infection), but your body definitely knows the difference inside. I am 6 weeks post-op (and am healing from a hematoma), but am finally feeling better. Good luck!
Unread 10-17-2005, 09:46 AM

I agree with everything everyone else has said.

I had two c-sections. One in '89 and one in '90. I realize I'm 15 years older than my last one, but I was in far better physical shape before this surgery than the sections. I quickly bounced back from both sections. This TAH is kicking my butt. It has to be from all the extra stuff they do inside. I, too, was comparing this surgery to a section and boy, was I wrong.
Unread 10-17-2005, 10:40 AM

I agree with almost everyone too!
I guess I was expecting my body to remember how quickly I recovered from my c-section, so my TAH would be a walk in the park! Wrong! I am three years older, but my body reacted very differently. I had to listen to my body and sleep more often, take pain relievers and suck it up and take all the help that was offered. Everyone is different, but for me, the TAH was much harder, but I am so glad it's over!!
Unread 10-17-2005, 10:49 AM

Just my two cents....I had a c-section at age 28 and age 30. I had my TAH at age 40. The TAH was much worse and feels totally different too. The incision is the same, but the pain is in different places. I hurt more behind my belly button area and you just have more tenderness in general. I thought at first it might have been my age, but I do believe the TAH is more difficult to heal from. Plus, I don't have that wonderful baby to keep my mind off things! LOL.
Unread 10-17-2005, 12:04 PM

I agree with you sisters! I had c-section at 29...I was up and around a week later and feeling great AND nursing my baby girl. My nurse told me right b/4 my sah/bso on Monday Oct. 10th,2005 that the c-section was harder on the body because they're pulling out a baby...I was happy to hear that...now that I'm a week post op I'm not bouncing back that fast ((of course I'm 13 years older)) but I feel like it will be awhile for me to feel good enough to be on my feet again. And for you pre-op sisters...don't let this scare you...the adenomyosis, pms and pmdd were much worse!
Unread 10-17-2005, 12:11 PM

oops. disreguard this message

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register