menopause immediately? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

menopause immediately? menopause immediately?

Unread 05-18-2005, 02:50 PM
menopause immediately?

I am still on the pre-op side, but wanted to know about the menopausal symptoms from ones who have already experienced it. I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO on June 1. I'm only 27 and my doc told me the hot flashed would be really bad for someone my age. I'm wondering if they will start while I'm in the hospital or do you have a supply of estrogen in your body and it takes a while for it to kick in?

Thanks
gottahavefaith

Cant wait to be on this side!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2005, 02:59 PM
menopause immediately?

I've heard from some that it does start right away even in the hospital. But that is not my experience.

I am 33 (not that far from you) I had an LAVH/BSO and haven't really had any symptoms. No hot flashes or night sweats, no severe mood swings. A few crying episodes but nothing as bad as I've heard from some others on this site.
Unread 05-18-2005, 03:19 PM
menopause immediately?

For some of us "fluffy" sisters, there's a store of estrogen in our body fat that releases back into the body over a period of time. Some of us that keep our ovaries still have symptoms for a couple of months until things straighten back out.

Simple truth is that every one is different - and our recovery experiences will be highly personal. If, for some reason, your body had functioned with a low estrogen level for a while due to your symptoms... well, you may not notice that much change. If you're a highly hormonal mess like me, then you're probably going to notice symptoms like hot flashes or night sweats.

I, for one, used to have pretty hefty PMS issues with weepiness and cramping and digestive changes like diarrhea every month. I kept my ovaries, but now that I'm past the 1 year mark I'm starting to get the occasional hot flash. I don't know if age has that much to do with it - I'm 46 and the flash I got the other day was intense for a good 20 minutes.

You probably are already exploring the pros and cons of Hormone Replacement Therapy with your doctor. Might be a good idea in those discussions to talk about some of the dietary alternatives available and whether they raise the same issues in consideration of your health needs. I know that in my own research I've found that soy is pretty controversial now, but there are other things that can be taken as supplements to help.

Here's to your improved health, a comfy recovery and an uneventful surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2005, 03:46 PM
menopause immediately?

I'm 36, and had hot flashes in the hospital. The night sweats started after about 3 or 4 days. I started crying on day 3, and have cried every day since surgery. I'm 5 weeks post-op, and have just started on HRT, but I've been warned that it may take months to figure out the right balance for me. Menopause symptoms seem to vary greatly for each woman, so don't be scared by my experience. Best of luck to you!

MB
Unread 05-18-2005, 05:57 PM
menopause immediately?

I'm 41 but had/have the same concerns and questions as you, faith. I found a really good, really reassuring, hopeful link over on the "No-Hormone Desert Oasis for Menopause Mgmt" board. Look for the "BSO 10 days ago - No HRT - No symptoms" msg chain.

Before finding that one, I had read some chains relating some pretty miserable experiences but this chain is GREAT to read if you are looking for some good news!

Good luck and think positively. I'm a firm believer in expecting good results!
Unread 05-18-2005, 06:07 PM
menopause immediately?

Thanks for all of your info, especially the link in the message board. That gives me hope.

Thanks again.
Unread 05-18-2005, 07:00 PM
menopause immediately?

hello, i am older than you (47) and had a TAH/BSO on 4/11. I can say that I might have had an occassional hot flash prior to my surgery. But while in the hospital I did not have anything. Once I was home, I did experience some hot flashes (quite a few in 1 hour) but as week 2 came around they did not happen quite as often.

I still get them, but they usually only last for a couple of minutes, and so far no night sweats (but I bet it will happen now that I said that I haven't had them)...........

But like one of the other sisters said, every person is different. But I think we all have a little reserve in our body, how much no one knows.

Check out info on HRT ( I am not allowed to take for 2 months due to me having endo). There are more options than the regular chemical ones that is prescribed, I know for myself I am going to check out natural ones (once I am allowed to take if I need).

Good luck in your surgery, listen to doctors orders and do NOT overdue anything. God bless you
Unread 05-18-2005, 07:17 PM
menopause immediately?

I am 27yrs. ols also and had a TAH/BSO on 4-7-05. I had my first hot flash on day five. I am now six weeks post-op and I am using the climara patch0.06. I have onlyhad some light mood swings, acouple of crying spells and I have only had a few hot flashes since then really not many at all and not severe ones.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register