Pain... ugh did I over do myself or should I worry? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain... ugh did I over do myself or should I worry? Pain... ugh did I over do myself or should I worry?

Unread 06-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Pain... ugh did I over do myself or should I worry?

So as today has went on my tummy has gotten more tender, Its hard to describe, but its like a pain in my rectum and lower abdomen, its like a mix of pain and pressure. Maybe its gas and I'll feel better tomorrow, but I caved and took 2 Vicodin 1 at 3pm and 1 at 8pm and its not making much difference. I took Aleve, its not helping, Gas X isnt helping. I have had bm's so I wouldnt think i'm constipated. I've taken my Miralax and benefiber faithfully lol. Sitting/laying back the pain isnt "as bad" but walking it feels like I'm back at a few days post op It started this morning more in my bowel area and has kinda spread over the course of the day. Sitting I can kinda feel it in my anal area.
I have been up and at em since I got up this morning and didnt sit down alot except in the car, I didnt do alot of heavy duty stuff but I did have alot of errands to run today.
I can't afford to have complications or set backs so I hope I was just up too much or whatnot but I'm starting to get worried because its not getting any better with even the narcotics.
Oh and i'm 3 weeks and 1 day post op from a TVH/BSO, with cystocele and rectocele repairs both of which he said were pretty severe, a bladder sling with a little extra support added because that was pretty bad too. This sucks because I felt pretty good about my recovery up until now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Re: Pain... ugh did I over do myself or should I worry?

Tater

With everything you had done I would say you way overdid it and your body is telling you it needs more rest.

3 weeks is very early in initial recovery even with out the other repairs, much less severe repairs. It doesn't take heavy duty stuff, normal stuff can be too much. This was major surgery.

I think you need some more down time.

G.
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:01 PM

Thanks, its hard to just take it easy BuT i'm trying to go for the lightweight version of my life pre-op lol. Tomorrow is my daughters 5th grade graduation, a couple hours in hard chairs Yuck!! Then Friday I have to take her to an appt in downtown Tampa. Its finals week so Saturday I have to go take 2 final exams in Tampa, yuck again lol. Monday I dont think I have anything but Id have to check my calendar to be sure. Tues is my 4 week dr appt followed by my daughters kindergarten grad the day after that I have 3 end of school parties to attend at the school and the 11th we have to drive 2000 miles in 36 hours to get my younger 2 to bring them home because my autistic son is having serious regressions without me.... Did I mention the word uuuggghhhh???? Cuz Thats how I feel!!
As for this pain, maybe its a little upset tummy, like a tummy bug? I have some grumbles now so maybe, or maybe I'll wake up and feel alot better.
I'm going to try to spend the morning chillin in my bed tomorrow, but when theres no one else to do the things that mush be done what are you to do but do them yourself! But as bad as I know that laundry needs done I'll get on here and randomly post lol so I'm distracted from it. I just hope resting fixes it or it is a tummy bug becasue I seriously all of a sudden feel like I did at week 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2010, 11:02 PM

Oh and forgive any ramblings or odd typos, I took an ambien so I can hopefullyu at least fall asleep
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:23 AM

I am feeling like I overdid it today as well. I am one week postop from LAVH and posterior and anterior repairs. I have 2 boys, 3 and 9 and a very nonsupportive bf. I couldn't take the piling laundry and messy house anymore. I straightened up (no heavy cleaning), did some laundry, cooked. I knew when I was doing it, that it was more than I should be, but couldn't take it. No one has offered me any help even though both my parents and siblings live within 10 min. The bf said he can't do anything right so he refuses to do anything. (yes I have obviously been moody) Anyway, I had no clue this would have caused this much pain. Like you I was going since 8 am. My belly swelled a ton. It feels really tight. Even my groin suddenly hurts like I pulled something. Also, I just noticed my lower belly, right over my pubic bone is numb! I guess the doc really means is when they say take it easy! I hope you can slow down a bit tomorrow! Its hard when your a mom with young ones!
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:40 AM

Man, I just reread your posts...I totally understand how you are feeling! I just had to say something else....awful that you have to go through all this but I feel like someone out there GETS IT. We had practically identical surgery. I had a monarch sling for my urethra done along with the cystocele and rectocele repairs (also quite extensive as they were bad). I kept my ovaries (only 34). I had some complications, major bleeding and surgery took 5 hours instead of the 2 1/2 they planned. Due to blood loss, it took a few hours to get my oxygen levels up. 2 night stay...negligent nurse (formal complaint filed). I know my one more thing has turned into 20 (had to take 2 vicodin which wires me). Anyway, as your life seems to be mimicking mine in a lot of ways (kids functions, the need to get things done, etc). No one seems to get EVERYTHING I have just been through, physically (it's like no big incision on the outside so no big deal), psychologically or emotionally. As much as it is terrible that you have to be going through this pain, I feel like there is one person out there who gets me. Take it easy and feel free to vent.
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:29 AM

tater -

Please consider that you only get 1 chance to heal right. Is there anything that you can pass on? Like the 3 end of school parties?

You don't want to undo all the things you had done by overdoing it now.

I don't know if there are friends who have teens that you could call for help or a church group.

Your body is truly trying to tell you that it's too much!

G.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:32 AM

I am reinforcing the message that you only get the one chance to heal right. As hard as it is to let go of some things, you just have to do it. Regs, I encourage you to call your parents and siblings, tell them you need help, tell them actually what you need. Whatever they can do, say yes to, and however they do it, even if it's not how you would do it, it'll be fine. Same goes for BF, as it seems that some of the issue with him may be that he didn't do something as you would do it.
Print out the checkpoints and hand it to family/BF as guidelines as to what you should and shouldn't be doing. Your 9 year old can certainly help with carrying laundry for you and things like that.
Best wishes and swift healing to both of you.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:58 AM

I have no family locally and the closest friends I have are about 2 hours away. Looking at what I have going on I can't let anything go. If I don't go to the end of year parties, which I never can go to class parties because I have the 2 little ones and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that they are having their parties and I don't have the boys and all 3 kids know that. My oldest had the lead in her school play which was 2 days after my surgery, I didn't go, I just couldn't! My doc made sure I was home because he knew it was important to me, but I had a foley in had a low grade fever and felt so nauseated. Her dad didnt go because our AC just happened to blow that day too. She walked to the school, and did her lead part with no one there to watch and support her! I can't begin to say how horrible as a mother that made me feel!!
My autistic child (he's almost 4) has gotten all of the attention for the last 3 years because he "needs" me most. I have the baby who was a post vasectomy accident, If I have a post hyster accident I'm calling Oprah, I want a free car! My boys have been at my grandmas in another state 1000 miles from me since the end of March, my surgery was supposed to be April 7, my brother came down and got them for me, but while he was here the doc office called and said that the doc that had to assist wasn't availble until May 11, my bro took them anyway as he had just came a long way, so I havent see my 3 and a half year old and 15 month old since the weekend before easter, as hard as that is for me, my autistic son, who I'll refer to as E for simplicity has been very sick, random rashes, stomach bugs etc.. all stress related and now he wont eat! He cries half to day because he wants his mommy or his Hun as he calls me, my grandma said shes done all she can to keep him distracted and is giving him whatever he'll eat even if its a snickers bar. She started giving him Pediasure in his sippy cups because shes so worried. He wont talk to me on the phone anymore, but when my grandma told him I'd be there real soon he got in slightly better spirits but still won't eat.
I know that I need to heal right the first time, god I know that, but what do you do when your child is dying inside without you? I was actually feeling so much better up until yesterday and I'm really thinking its GI related vs doing to much now because this morning I feel more gassy than anything. I'm trying to stay in bed and chill right now, but there are no clean towels and dh works 10-14 hours a day 5 days a week, i may have to cave and wash at least the towels.
As far as E goes I know everyone will say to explain to him etc, but it doesnt work like that. He's not like a typical kid. I jsut have so much going on. I know I had to have at least the hyster part of this because I had cancer but I elected to have the rest done and i wish I had just done the needed part and waited for the rest. As a mom, your kids always come first and I have 5 that need me so bad. I've missed so much in just the last 2 months with them, I'll have that gulit forever.
Unread 06-03-2010, 05:19 PM

tater -

You will have to find a way to let that guilt go. Would you want your kids to be without a mom or a totally incapacitated mom, which could have happened if you had not had the surgery.

I can only imagine your challenges and send huge hugs on that front. Be careful because if you overdo you might have to re-do.

As long as you don't bend at the stomach you can load the washer, probably same for the dryer but beware of carrying things, especially a basket of wet laundry.

While you are school for one of your events can you find a 7th or 8th grader who could assist you in doing some of the things you want to have done? Just trying to find some way for you to hold things together but also allow yourself time to heal.

g.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register