Do I need progesterone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I need progesterone? Do I need progesterone?

Unread 12-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Do I need progesterone?

I'm on the v-dot (0.1) and have read that I should still take progesterone even though I don't have my uterus. Have others found this to be true? The main reason I'm concerned is I read that if you don't have some progesterone, you increase your odds of getting cancer? If I do need some, how much would I take and can I just buy it at the store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Re: Do I need progesterone?

Progesterone is needed if one has the ovaries removed and still has their uterus, or for those who are in natural menopause, that is; with all female parts remaining. The progesterone helps to protect the uterus from the effects of estrogen. Without a uterus, there is nothing that needs protecting.

While many of us find progesterone helpful after the removal of the ovaries and uterus, using progesterone is NOT a must. Some women need it, some women do not. Hormones are not one size fits all. If you're doing well on the Vivelle Dot alone, than maybe you are one who does not need the addition of progesterone.
Unread 12-31-2010, 11:12 AM

Hi Tamodeez and Kim M. I have a similar question. My ob/gyn said to not take progesterone (I have no uterus or ovaries) because it increases the chance of breast cancer and heart disease. My regular doc wants me to take it to regulate my system so I have an easier time losing weight. I guess I am stuck between the two - I trust them both, and don't want to jeopardize my health. So who do you listen to - or do you ask them to talk to each other and come up with a common solution? I don't want either of them mad at me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy1217 View Post
Hi Tamodeez and Kim M. I have a similar question. My ob/gyn said to not take progesterone (I have no uterus or ovaries) because it increases the chance of breast cancer and heart disease. My regular doc wants me to take it to regulate my system so I have an easier time losing weight. I guess I am stuck between the two - I trust them both, and don't want to jeopardize my health. So who do you listen to - or do you ask them to talk to each other and come up with a common solution? I don't want either of them mad at me...
Progesterone does not increase the risk for breast cancer. Unfortunately, progesterone is often confused with "progestin" such as that contained in Provera and PremPro. They are not one and the same.
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Do I need progesterone?

I would sure be interested in progesterone to lose weight, but how much and what kind?
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:40 PM

Progesterone in itself is probably not going to cause weight loss. It is all about balance. You can read more in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com
Unread 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM
How do I know if I need progesterone?

I had my uterus taking about about 10 years ago and just had my ovaries removed last February. I've been on the V-dot 1.0 for the last 8 months and it seems to work the best for me. I keep hearing that I should take progesterone also. How do I know if I need to take this? I have been feeling very tired and achy. Are those symptoms?
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Re: How do I know if I need progesterone?

I was told that I didn't need progesterone as I have had my ovaries removed also. On Estradiol for one year now and doing fine.
Unread 01-10-2011, 01:02 PM

Some like it, others don't. It's a good idea if you had endometriosis. It is also a good idea if you're on thyroid meds. Some need it to counteract the excitability that estrogen can give us, also helps with sleep, calms, etc....
Unread 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Oh! I didn't know that. Maybe that's why sometimes I can't sleep well. I've been working out after work to help with sleep and also to get off a few pounds for my daughters wedding this fall. How much progesterone though?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register