Can hormone imbalance worsen allergies? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can hormone imbalance worsen allergies? Can hormone imbalance worsen allergies?

Unread 02-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Re: Can hormone imbalance worsen allergies?

Im still taking my bio-estrogen cream..some testosterone cream as well, but cant get my levels up and when I try to use more like my doc says, I feel worse. I think the autoimmune issues and hormones are a big, big, problem. Ive also tried other various HRTs, and all made me feel worse, even in low doses. I have a friend with autoimmune and she cant get her E levels up with the cream either..funny, we use the same compounding pharmacy? uhmmmmm

Im also wondering even if my Estrogen is low at (25) and I dont have any testosterone, or progesterone, if its causing me to have
excess estrogen then, and making me feel sicker, causing my autoimmune to be worse? Its very hard figuring this all out. The docs dont know
what is going on either...ughhhhhh!

Gursie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 08:16 AM

You sound like me. Prior to my hyst, I had no allergies to foods, smells, and different textures of clothes, etc. I had an anaphyllatic reaction after eating sesame seeds on a bun. Well got tested and supposedly no allergies. I continued with anaphyllatic reactions with allergists saying it could not be. I was imagining that I couldn't breathe and was having panic attacks. After about six months, I finally found an allergist who gave me medicine and told me to avoid foods.
Just this week, I was tested for pulmonary functioning to trigger asthma attack. And guess what, I do have narrowing of airway when challenged. I think they call it the acetocholine challenge test but don't quote me on this one. It turns out that I wasn't imagining this. It really happens!!! I am going yeah because I am so sick of being told that I was fine. And now they can't test me because taking me off my Zyrtec ends up with life threatening allergies and an ER visit. So no fun. I never realized that having a hyst could create this but I am living it. So now I don't eat nuts, sesame, have to be real careful around perfumes or cleaners, and also avoid Latex. And for eating foods, something I could tolerate can suddenly become a no tolerate food. Now I pay attention when I eat. If I don't another ER visit is highly likely. I am so glad I am not the only one.
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenyatta5 View Post
You sound like me. Prior to my hyst, I had no allergies to foods, smells, and different textures of clothes, etc. I had an anaphyllatic reaction after eating sesame seeds on a bun. Well got tested and supposedly no allergies. I continued with anaphyllatic reactions with allergists saying it could not be. I was imagining that I couldn't breathe and was having panic attacks. After about six months, I finally found an allergist who gave me medicine and told me to avoid foods.
Just this week, I was tested for pulmonary functioning to trigger asthma attack. And guess what, I do have narrowing of airway when challenged. I think they call it the acetocholine challenge test but don't quote me on this one. It turns out that I wasn't imagining this. It really happens!!! I am going yeah because I am so sick of being told that I was fine. And now they can't test me because taking me off my Zyrtec ends up with life threatening allergies and an ER visit. So no fun. I never realized that having a hyst could create this but I am living it. So now I don't eat nuts, sesame, have to be real careful around perfumes or cleaners, and also avoid Latex. And for eating foods, something I could tolerate can suddenly become a no tolerate food. Now I pay attention when I eat. If I don't another ER visit is highly likely. I am so glad I am not the only one.
Wow zenyatta5: Your allergies are as severe as mine. Do you carry also carry Benadryl or an epinephrine pen? I take the liquid benadryl as my first line of defense when I first get the itching and hives. Then if the symptoms don't stop/and facial swelling starts, I take the epi shot and head for emergency or call 911. All of this just happened for me starting around this time last year when I renewed my exercise regimen. I probably went through all of the stages of grief starting with denial and why me, and finally acceptance.. And the fact that these allergies have not always been the case really makes it difficult. I'm not sure about you, but a couple friends have asked if I'm going to start eating the allergic foods to get myself "de-sensitized to them". My answer is no- because I don't want to play with it. The anaphylaxis happens too fast. I'm taking hormones now- currently at .075 Vivelle dot. I hope by balancing my hormones I can reverse this severe allergy problem. Thanks for sharing your story! Now I don't feel so alone dealing with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Actually, my allergies improved significantly after I had my hysterectomy (uterus and ovaries). I have had serious allergies to animal dander (horse, cat, dog) since my late teens. I would even absorb it through my skin and have an asthma attack. Around 6 months post surgery I noticed that my hands were not turning red, and itching, no hives, and a greatly reduced asthmatic response to animal dander. I even mentioned it to my doctor! I did go on immediate HRT (estrogen and progesterone) after surgery. I am 4 years post now and do not take the progesterone anymore - just estrogen. My allergies are still holding at a greatly reduced response.
Unread 02-06-2012, 03:07 PM

That's good to hear jani2!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register