what to expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to expect what to expect

Unread 05-30-2005, 06:18 PM
what to expect

Hi. I'm both excited and terrified. I'm finally scheduled to have my surgery on June 7th after fighting with the insurace company for 2 month. My uterus is the size of 8 weeks, however, i'm not bleeding due to a past abalation...just a lot of pain. I've yet to have my pre op so I'm nervous as to what to expect. My Dr. wants to go vaginal and leave my ovaries. Any advice and suggestions would be wonderul. Thanks to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2005, 06:38 PM
what to expect

I, too am scheduled for a TVH June 7th! I also had a previous ablation in January.....have had non-stop discharge for 4 1/2 months! I'm a bit nervous about the surgery...yet, am looking forward to some relief in due time! I will be thinking of you, and we can fret this out together!
Unread 05-30-2005, 07:52 PM
what to expect

Hi Ladies-

My pre-op was no big deal. Chest x-ray, ekg, bloodwork, urinanalysis, some questions with the nurse, then all I had to do was take a pill for stomach acid (which they gave me) and my own blood pressure med. the am of the surgery, my doctor didn't require any bowel prep etc.

The day of, had to give urine for a pregnancy test, (hosp. policy), get into the gown, tight hose--they hooked me up to the IV and put these air pressure things on my legs that inflated and deflated constantly. I was wheeled into the OR, got on the table, asked to scooch? over a little, and they put me out. I don't even remember them doing that! The next thing I remember someone said I'm taking you to your room now. Pretty easy! I had the morphine pump and wasn't in pain, just sore to move. You'll be glad to have a catheter, so you don't have to get up, (put in after I was asleep). Next day everything taken out, IV cath. and you're up for the first time, sore-but do-able. I got a shot for nausea before I got up as I was feeling kinda GREEN, it worked, I didn't get sick. I stayed until around 10:00pm that evening and decided to go home and sleep in my own bed that second night. The doctor had left it up to me, as long as I had eaten solid food, urinated, walked around, and vitals were good. But it is major surgery, and you will have good days and not so good days. I have done exactly as I was told, and have not pushed to do things that could prolong my recovery. Good luck to you--I think you may be pleasantly surprised, as long as you are careful, and follow your doctors orders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2005, 08:40 PM
what to expect

Well, since you asked, here are my personal favorite places here at HysterSisters!

First, the Tell Your Hyst-Story forum is full of castle stories -- ladies detailing their hospital experiences. I couldn't get enough of these stories in the weeks leading up to my surgery.

Next, Pre-op Hints forum where princesses share their best suggestions for things like a) what to take to the hospital, b) how to prepare their homes for recovery, and all sorts of other tips.

And there's always Checkpoints which gives all sorts of information on what to expect, what is actually being done during your surgery, and how you can expect your recovery to progress.

You will find lots of terrific support here at HysterSisters. There's always a cup of tea ready and plenty of calorie-free to go around!
Unread 05-31-2005, 10:18 AM
what to expect

I too was a nervous wreck before surgery ... but take my advice - relax. I had a TVH (kept my ovaries) on May 3rd. All went very well. I was in the hospital 1 and 1/2 days, I had a spinal for surgery and took no pain medication after that. I went home with the feeling like I had just given birth. I had minimal bleeding that stopped 2 days after I was home. At 2 weeks I returned to my "desk" job with no problems at all. Today is my 4 week anniversary and every day gets better. I must say all the pain and pressure I endured for 5 years is now gone and my stomach is quite a bit smaller - clothes fit better - don't have to undo my button when I'm sitting etc.... I believe with a vaginal hysterectomy there is less healing time. I requested to keep my ovaries - I'm 44 and felt I was too young to give them up (glad I could keep them). Take care - in a couple weeks you to will say "I'm so glad I did this!"
Unread 05-31-2005, 10:51 AM
what to expect

I had a TVH on 5/19. Two days prior to surgery I had my preop visit with my doctor and then referred to the hospital for urine analysis and blood draw and to preregister also. I was reminded not to eat anything after midnight the morning prior to surgery. While in surgery waiting area, got my IV, spoke to the preop nurse, surgical nurse and the anesthiestologist. I was allowed to choose whether to have general anesthetic or a spinal; I was assured that I would be under for either but the spinal was reported as the easiest for me to come out of, so I chose that. They told me the nausea would be less with a spinal than general. Although they forgot to mention the spinal makes you itch alot! Rather itch than vomit!! Wheeled back to the OR and asked to move onto the operating table that looked more like a recliner without a back? Unsure how the laid me out but As the spinal was administered I was hugged by the surgical nurse and encouraged to just lean on her. My surgery was very smooth the doctor said probably her personal best only took 35 minutes. That afternoon stuck on liquid diet and IV and catheter(again put in after I was put out Thankfully). My back hurt horribly!! Got a migraine that day and given 2 Norco which makes gives you nausea unless you eat something with it. Norco was the preferred pain med they sent me home with and luckily they sent home a prescription to help nausea. Really happy to go home Saturday, the hospital bed hurt my back something fierce but was manageable with Thermacare heat wraps!! I would say they are a Godsend if you have any back trouble at all. I have been careful not to do much and have had good days and then not so good. I have my 2 week appt this Thursday. Hoping the doctor will let me drive again. Overall feeling little sore but not bad.
Unread 05-31-2005, 10:51 AM
what to expect

Thanks to all of the sisters for the support and great information. I go in for my pre op on Thursday June 2. I'm sure anything I endure during surgery and recovery will not be like the past pain I've lived in. My abalation stopped the bleeding but only enhanced the pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register