Trouble sleeping 6 days post op anyone? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trouble sleeping 6 days post op anyone? Trouble sleeping 6 days post op anyone?

Unread 06-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Re: Trouble sleeping 6 days post op anyone?

hi all, TVH here kept ovaries, post op day eight for me, with the help of ambien I get three hours of sleep at night, am a tummy sleeper, but still have to sleep on back, groin discomfort, back discomfort and poor leg circulation (am wearing compression stocking at night) keeps me awake, also drinking lots of water keeps me voiding....feel exhausted, just can't sleep...due for post up follow up 14th... will keep you updated with Docs feedback...hugs to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2013, 08:04 PM

well, ladies, it's the witching hour for me. Usually i crash to bed at 10p and wake around 6. Since this LSHBSO Blahblahblah i watch bad tv, try to rest, take some tylenol and motrin and benedryl and around 1:30 or so fall asleep for a few hours. Grrr...

Tonight i'm changing the routine and chatting with you all! Thanks for being there!!
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:09 PM

I'm afraid to go to bed.
After 35 nights of sleeping on my back when I'm a side sleeper, well lets just say that this is the worst part of the 24 hour day.
The stabbing/burning pain has been constant today. My 8 year old son even told me that he could go to bed by himself because my tummy hurts to much. ;-(.
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM

I understand your frustration... My surgery doesn't sound as complex as yours that's a mighty long acronym you have. My surgery was minimally evasive a laparoscopy only removing one tiny ovary. 3 ports....but darnit I am in some pain that is keeping me awake ar this hour. I too am usually sleeping by now. I have been on some medication since September that assist with sleeping I mentioned in a prior thread this stuff knocks me out cold. Glorious sleep only thing that could wake me is my children in need!!!! How could this teeny procedure keep me awake I so didn't think I would hurt like this. And here you are with this long long acronym...obviously a more complex treatment and more understandable reason for lack of sleep!! So girlie here's to you and me and to the rest of sisters that are keying away at Nighty night time!!!!
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:12 PM

I'm a stomach, sides, back sleeper...and I've been able to lie in all those positions 6days postop, but lying on my sides is most comfortable if I have a pillow between my knees. But I'm only getting 2 hours of sleep a night, couldn't sleep at all in the hospital (and I had earplugs to block the noise). I kind of dose through the night, but never feel well rested in the daylight. It's been like that since perimenopause symptoms started, kinda hoped surgery would put an end to it, knock wood. I'm giving in to the urge to nap for the next week, but then I'm gonna try to stay up all day in hopes of sleeping longer during the night.
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:20 PM

I've had a subtotal hysterectomy by lap... (Kept my ovaries and cervix) therfore, it's not a "major" or complex surgery at all. That's what's so frustrating. If it wasn't for the pain I get (located on the lower left side close to the hip bone and ovarie) I would feel amazing.
I feel as if a knife was left inside me.
I can't wait to see my doctor on Monday. Kind of scared the he will say: It the normal healing process because I know and I feel that it's not normal. Especially after 35 days.
Wow!!! I can't believe how talking with women is so helpfull.
Thank you for reading me.
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Trouble sleeping 6 days post op anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxanneR View Post
I've had a subtotal hysterectomy by lap... (Kept my ovaries and cervix) therfore, it's not a "major" or complex surgery at all. That's what's so frustrating. If it wasn't for the pain I get (located on the lower left side close to the hip bone and ovarie) I would feel amazing.
I feel as if a knife was left inside me.
I can't wait to see my doctor on Monday. Kind of scared the he will say: It the normal healing process because I know and I feel that it's not normal. Especially after 35 days.
Wow!!! I can't believe how talking with women is so helpfull.
Thank you for reading me.
I know I'm worried about calling my doctor tomorrow too!!!!
But your surgery was serious I guess ant surgery is serious we shouldn't down play anything. Ibjust hope you get some rest. Do you think if you ask your Dr for a sedative for bedtime he or she would comply? Did you listen to post op instructions or did you try to be super woman??? I just curious if you pulled something and hurt your self. When I had my vaginal hysterectomy in 2010 ( uterus and cervix only) it took 8 wks vs 6 wks before I felt good and stopped using Percocet!! Now say I woke up was.pain free and threw away my pulls no more ibu no more narcotic pain meds and hello exercise!!! It was strange. I dint know I'd it was because I had to have a laparoscopy and endometrial ablation that previous June 2010 or maybe the emergency csection in 2007... Repeat pelvic surgery I dunno... Maybe I'm a slow healer....or could be I pushed myself I was all gung ** about the walking. I followed the instructions in how far I could walk to the t but I fell the day after I was discharged from hospital..
So there are many things that could bevy you are 35 days post op and hurt ans cannot sleep. Don't feel like its your fault don't unnecessarily worry about what your Dr thinks. I hope for the best for you. And keep me posted please!!!
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:35 AM

Roxanne, i hope your doctor can help find a solution for your pain. None of this is minor surgery - it's major. As in, Major. Healing takes time.

Munchin so sorry you wiped out day after surgery - how did that happen? You make a good point - we shouldn't downplay any of this. it's big, life-changing experience. Also, thanks for the idea of asking doc for something to help with sleep. I'm writing it down.

Tomorrow i see doc and will ask him if he can give me something to help with sleeping. We'll also have a talk about this pain, which i still have. My procedure was a week ago today and while i'm definitely making progress, i'm still pretty sore. anyone else?

Oh, i had uterus and both ovaries/tubes removed via Lap. I elected to keep cervix and my doc thought that was a good decision. I thought a lot about ovaries but since i'm 48 i decided to take them out which will reduce my chances of ovarian cancer to Zero. I'm adopted with no medical history and since i was facing this procedure, decided to take it all.

So im also going to talk to Dr about estrogen - patch, cream. Anyone else on anything like that? Have any of you had any menopause symptoms?
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Trouble sleeping 6 days post op anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoQueen View Post
Roxanne, i hope your doctor can help find a solution for your pain. None of this is minor surgery - it's major. As in, Major. Healing takes time.

Munchin so sorry you wiped out day after surgery - how did that happen? You make a good point - we shouldn't downplay any of this. it's big, life-changing experience. Also, thanks for the idea of asking doc for something to help with sleep. I'm writing it down.

Tomorrow i see doc and will ask him if he can give me something to help with sleeping. We'll also have a talk about this pain, which i still have. My procedure was a week ago today and while i'm definitely making progress, i'm still pretty sore. anyone else?

Oh, i had uterus and both ovaries/tubes removed via Lap. I elected to keep cervix and my doc thought that was a good decision. I thought a lot about ovaries but since i'm 48 i decided to take them out which will reduce my chances of ovarian cancer to Zero. I'm adopted with no medical history and since i was facing this procedure, decided to take it all.

So im also going to talk to Dr about estrogen - patch, cream. Anyone else on anything like that? Have any of you had any menopause symptoms?
Well my partial hysterectomy was in 2010 I was walking around ny backyard and I had a puppy who dug holes but grass grew in it. So I didn't see it and my foot went down as my body went forward. And I fell. Boy did it hurt because ny body jerked forward.

Last week's surgery I had my left ovary removed. But I noticed that after I removed ny uterus almost three years ago I experienced tons of hot flashes after longer making love sessions I became less lubricated and breast was doing wacky things. Also I kept getting insane cyst on my left ovary hence why I just had my unilateral saphinlingo ophorectomy ( I know I spelled that wrong!!! Hehehe). I'm hoping that I will be fine and not go through menopause that my right ovary is functioning properly. I'm assuming it is because I ovulate and I have cyst on that ovary buy the pain is bearable and that is why I kept that little guy so I would not go through menopause ( I'm stil age 32)
I will let you know my mother went through surgical menopause at 32 but it was in the 90's and she had a rough rough time. But healthcare has advanced my best friend has survived ovarian cancer she is on low dose hormones and barely experience hot flashes vaginal dryness and mood swings. Usually only certain times of th month!
Stay positive because these advancements in science has made our generation and future generations menopause much more doable!!! I know you can do this!!!

Good luck and be totally honest when you communicate with your doctor!! Don't hold back because you deserve the best treatment!
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the encouragement it really helps!

My mom was a nurse so i've been raised in the household of "if you're not DYING, your a hypocondriate" (sp) which makes it weird for me. I feel guilty for not feeling 100% after 1 week and feel like a whiner for saying this HURTS and feel like the Dr hears complainers all day long every day and doesn't want to hear it.

So I'll take your advice Muchin and stand up for myself and ask the questions and not stop until i'm happy with the answers .

So sorry you stepped in a puppy pit and fell - that would be unbelievable. OUCCCHHHEE.

My SIL and niece are coming over for visit today so i'm very excited. Time to get shower which will make me sleepy and get ready for company YAY!

Good day everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register