Rec'd my time for tomorrow-Surgery at 2 UGH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rec'd my time for tomorrow-Surgery at 2 UGH Rec'd my time for tomorrow-Surgery at 2 UGH

Unread 12-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Rec'd my time for tomorrow-Surgery at 2 UGH

Well rec'd the call to find out what time to arrive at the castle. 12:00 tomorrow and surgery is 2:00. I have NEVER had such a late surgery. I was allowed breakfast that's it. Now clear liquids, Jello, Broth, nothing after midnight. And do the fleet enema.

And on top of it another 6 hours from when I wake up to sit and wait. All of this is really testing my strength. All of it.

Anyone else go through this? Late surgery? Any advice on how to pass time and not be starving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Re: Rec'd my time for tomorrow-Surgery at 2 UGH

I wish you the best of luck. The waiting is hard! I highly recommend starting a Jackie Collins novel right away! My saving grace before and after my surgery to keep me from going crazy!! I'm sending calm, peaceful thoughts your way :-)
Unread 12-16-2013, 03:29 PM

Good luck and lots of hugs being sent your way! I too had a late surgery, it was supposed to be 1pm but the doctor had a delivery and was 1hour 45minutes late. Make the last thing you can if at all possible late tonight be broth. It has a little more to it, and will stay in just a bit longer than juice or water. Keep a good book handy and someone to make you laugh and keep you in a positive mood and your mind off being hungry and thirsty! My sister and I sat in pre-op looking at the humour section of Pinterest until they wheeled me into surgical prep. Also, a big part of it was more feeling dried out from not being able to hydrate. Ask your pre-op nurse if lip balm is okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2013, 05:01 PM

I had a D&C/hysteroscopy at 2 PM and wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight. I'm kind of skinny and it was a cold, drizzly March day. I had a lot of trouble keeping warm, since I was hungry and wasn't even allowed hot water, let alone tea. By the time I showed up for my surgery, I was wearing four layers of shirts and sweaters with my parka over top of it all, plus I was wearing two pairs of wool socks, one over the other. When I changed into a johnny shirt, the nurses let me keep my socks, and then they gave me lots of warmed blankets.

Good luck!
Unread 12-16-2013, 05:16 PM

I'm lucky, mines at 8 am
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNK View Post
I'm lucky, mines at 8 am

So happy for you Good luck
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:46 PM

You will be fine. My surgery was supposed to be at 1 and it didn't happen until 2 pm. A couple of tricks to help:

1. Be sure to drink as much as you can until midnight tonight. Being hydrated will prevent being thirsty tomorrow.

2. Sleep in as long as you can. I think I stayed in bed until 10 am. Then I really took my time to get ready.

Once you get to the hospital, nerves will keep the hunger away and the nurses will hook up an IV which will keep you hydrated. The only bad thing for me was that I had to keep running to the bathroom since my bladder was being squished by fibroids.

Good luck and see you on the other side!
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:53 PM

Thank you for the advice. I have fibroids too that make me pee all the time. Then on top of it my period started today. Oh and enema tonight what fun...

Can't wait to be on the other side
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykuni View Post
Thank you for the advice. I have fibroids too that make me pee all the time. Then on top of it my period started today. Oh and enema tonight what fun...

Can't wait to be on the other side
Oh, I totally understand what you are going through. I think I ran to the bathroom about 10 times in the couple of hours I was waiting prior to surgery. Not fun when I had to lug the IV pole with me. One tip if you happen to have a nurse that isn't busy: She can disconnect the tubing and reconnect it. I found that out after my surgery when I was so full of fluids and had to run to the bathroom. Much easier to do without the pole.
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:30 PM

Good luck tomorrow. Take a Tylenol pm at bedtime and sleep late. You will be so busy running to the bathroom once you get there to notice. The minutes will seem like hours but you will make it. Pick out a smutty book to read. Or at least a good who-dun-it, and just relax.

Just think....your last night with a uterus!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register