Bladder what happens after a hysterctomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder what happens after a hysterctomy Bladder what happens after a hysterctomy

Unread 09-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Re: Bladder what happens after a hysterctomy

Let me see if I can ease your mind a bit!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by livestrong1168 View Post
what happoens to my baldder now that my uterus is gone there is an empty dspace there ans the bladder sat on it so what the heck is holding it up now..
A normal uterus is the size a woman's fist, so normally it is not suppose to be taking up a lot of space. When the uterus is removed, everything can shift around a bit to fill up that bit of space. Also, the surgeon tacks everything in place for support.
  Quote:
she took my cervix and that was at the end of the vagina so what is that going to do.. is that going to cause pain with sex..
When the complete uterus with cervix is removed, a vaginal cuff is created that creates a closure at the top of the vagina. Generally, a woman and her partner do not have any issues with the cuff once it heals.
  Quote:
so what happens to outr bladder is it just floating there. is it going to fall as we get older..
Really, your organs are not floating around. Ligaments and such hold things in place! Having the cervix removed does not dictate the bladder will prolapse in the future. If you have concerns regarding yours, do talk to your surgeon and possibly a urologist.
  Quote:
anyone what to answer this about the bladder and the cervix.. i dont know why she took that.. she said i just didnt need that too.. but my reading that you need that for sexual response too..
The cervix is not a separate organ but rather the neck of the uterus. Depending on why a hysterectomy was needed, one may not have a choice about the cervix. What is causing issues with the upper part of the uterus can also be causing issues with the lower portion. As far as sexual response, some women find having the cervix bumped pleasurable, but that is not necessarily normally nor is the cervix always bumped during sex.

My cervix was removed as part of my hysterectomy. It was affected by the endometriosis for which I was having the surgery in the first place. My hysterectomy was almost nine years ago and my bladder is right where it is suppose to be, no prolapse issues in site! My mother has not had bladder prolapse either and her hysterectomy was over 20 years ago.

Sex is fine for me and I still have sexual response.

I am so sorry that you are dealing with a lot of fears over your surgery and I hope you can find solid answers to ease your mind! Don't hesitate to talk to your surgeon or even your general practitioner to get some definite answers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2009, 06:16 AM

Thank you for your answers i see though you had to have a vaginal cuff repair.. why?? Also another question I am 6 weeks post op today.. i have numbness is that normal and still some pain and my bowels are not normal i go for my 6 weeks post op monday.. and when is my belly ever going to go back to the way it was flat . My husband got intimate last night and NO big O nothing Also heard you need a uterus to have uterine contractions to have the big O i had the terine contractions when I did.. so does that mean no more O.. it use to be so easy for me but it feels so different now. Feels so scared i lost my intimate part of my life with my husband or my own sexual satisfication forever. I just wish idid more research on this. I feel i was rushed into this.. Everything was happening so fast. I was so sick. losing so much weight beocming anemic in so much pain would not stop bleeding.. i was scared that the abliation would not work, doctor told me we would not know if it did for three months i did not wonmt to risk anymore pain or blood loss.. i listened to my family and others instead of my gut.. but its done now.. and this is it. If i sit it feels numb it a weird sensastion.. i also have back issues so i am wondering if its also affedting this. Thanks for listening to me.

Alisa
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:17 AM

Sex may take a little bit to get back in the hang of it. Don't expect it all at once. You are still healing. It will get better! I don't notice any difference now & hubby says it feels the same. The first few times are kinda off though. I am sorry you felt rushed. I hope your 6 week appointment goes well. Make a list of questions to ask your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livestrong1168 View Post
Thank you for your answers i see though you had to have a vaginal cuff repair.. why??
Because I had endometriosis left on my bowel walls and an adhesion formed from that area to the vaginal cuff.
  Quote:
Also another question I am 6 weeks post op today.. i have numbness is that normal and still some pain and my bowels are not normal i go for my 6 weeks post op monday..
Some are slower healers so some pain and numbness could be normal. Definitely discuss all of the numbness and pain with your doctor at your appointment to be sure that what you are experiencing is normal for you.
  Quote:
and when is my belly ever going to go back to the way it was flat .
No definite answer on that one! For some it can be a few weeks, some a few months! Even longer on others! Often the swelly belly persists the longest as it creeps back in at the end of the day when the body is tired and needing a break.
  Quote:
My husband got intimate last night and NO big O nothing Also heard you need a uterus to have uterine contractions to have the big O i had the terine contractions when I did.. so does that mean no more O..
Uterine contractions with orgasm do end when the uterus is removed. However, orgasms can still be achieved! It might take some time for you and your DH to learn how your body is going to respond now. Don't give up quickly at all! Read through the site and you will find it can take time in this area!

A hysterectomy is a major surgery so your body needs time to heal and adjust! Some of us don't feel wonderful for awhile after out hysterectomy. It takes a lot of patients and some trial and error in some cases! Keep in there, ask questions, and talk to your doctor on Monday! You can't change the past but you can change the future!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register