Is losing weight harder after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is losing weight harder after hysterectomy? Is losing weight harder after hysterectomy?

Unread 04-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Is losing weight harder after hysterectomy?

I am 33 yrs old and tomorrow is my preop appt to schedule my surgery. I have a large fibroid on my uterus and I already know I have to have the abdominal incision. I have started trying to lose weight to get back to my "wedding day" weight which was 12 years ago this Sunday. Will this make it harder or impossible to lose weight? Someone told me you gain weight after hysterectomies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 07:45 PM

I've been losing a bit of weight since my surgery. For me, I think it's a little harder simply because I'm coming up on 50 years old, and my metabolism just isn't what it used to be. So, I have to work a little harder, be a bit more focused, but it is coming off!
Unread 04-05-2007, 07:52 PM

Thank you...I read on another site people saying they gained 30 to 100 lbs aferwards ....I am trying to lose the extra pounds that stuck around after four pregnancies. I find out tomorrow when surgery will be for fibroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 07:54 PM

I think it varies from person to person, and depends greatly on hormone balance. I was never able to lose weight before surgery, and have been losing steadily since. I also feel better and have more energy, so I have been more active.

Best Wishes.

Kay
Unread 04-05-2007, 07:56 PM

That's a good point. I've been able to exercise more vigorously since recovering from surgery (I had this pain in my hip that I'm certain was a fibroid irritating something down there, now that's gone), so I actually get to eat something every day, and I'm still losing weight.
Unread 04-06-2007, 06:00 AM

Thank you both I was on another site before I found this one and all they were saying is I gained this many lbs and another even said 100lbs and I was so worried I wouldn't be able to continue my wieght loss goals. My dad had a heart attack last year and I want to drop 50 lbs to be healthier for my 4 daughters and myself. Thanks again.
Unread 04-06-2007, 06:30 AM

The possibility of gaining weight was a worry of mine before my hyst too. I had dieted and exercised and managed to lose about 75 pounds and did NOT want any of it back
I lost a few pounds right after my surgery and now at almost 5 years post op, I'm about the same as pre surgery. I'm within my "ideal weight range". I do stay active and try to eat healthy meals.

Good luck with your weight loss. Just remember to go slow and easy with it, crash diets are not good for you. It took me almost a year to lose all my weight & by the time I had, I had managed to unlearn many of my bad eating habits & replace them with healthy ones.

S
Unread 04-06-2007, 01:29 PM

Thank you that is exactly what I wanted to hear...I have about 50 more lbs I'd like to lose...those extra pounds that stayed after 4 pregnancies. I had just decide to start working hard on losing it and got this news about a month later...I've lost 12 lbs so far.
Unread 04-06-2007, 04:47 PM

Hi Mistic33,

I am a lifetime member of WW and had lost 32 pounds. My hubby had back surgery in November and then I started having a lot of gyno problems. I managed to put on about 13 pounds. My hyster was 2 1/2 weeks ago and I have already lost 4 pounds.

I was really nervous about weight gain,especially because my doc put me on HRT. I am watching what I am eating and am now up to walking about 3 miles. I miss my spinning class, step aerobics and running but I know eventually I will be back at it.

You will be fine. Hope all goes well for your April 13th surgery!
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:23 PM

I don't know if it is harder to lose weight, but I have not had any weight gain. I am a size 8 and was afraid I would gain after surgery, but so far I am still the same. Hope you have no trouble losing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register