how common is swelly belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how common is swelly belly how common is swelly belly

Unread 11-30-2009, 12:25 PM
how common is swelly belly

Had my preop today. LAVH on wednesday, getting my stuff together. how common is swelly belly?
also I have a new thing, I can't sleep unless its on my right side, I have spider veins on my right leg and now they are kinda bulgy and throbbing when I get up. I'm guessing its cause I can't sleep any other way. I can't sleep on my left because thats where the constant pain/ache is and I can't sleep on my back because I can't breathe(mild asthma) looking forward to sleeping on the couch. but to get back to my original question before the rant...how common is swelly belly and what did anyone do or not do about it?
thanks
holly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Re: how common is swelly belly

I had an LAVH/LSO back in October, and I didn't experience swelly belly at all. I was pleasantly surprised because I had read quite a bit about it on here. Two weeks post op I was back in my jeans and had lost 15 lbs, which I am proud to say I have managed to keep off!!
Unread 11-30-2009, 02:49 PM

I to had LAVH nov 13 and had very little swell belly.. I could still fit in all my clothes, and im now 2 wks and in my jeans already... so i guess it just depends on your body best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2009, 03:10 PM

thanks Amber,
right now my stomach is swollen like I'm 3 months pregnant so I can't imagine it being worse after surgery. I've always had a flat stomach-even after kids-so when that started it was weird.
I know I will be fine but the next couple days are going to be difficult...as you know before me.
thank you!
glad you are doing well.
holly
Unread 11-30-2009, 03:58 PM

I think the abdominal binder is good,for the swelly belly,i got mine at the hospital after surgery,the nurse put it on me,the hystersister site also sells it,I think it help with support.
Unread 11-30-2009, 04:22 PM

I definitely had swelling for at least 4-5 days. I had total laparoscopic hyst. 11/23. I think most of it was gas...intestinal and the CO2 gas they pump into your abdominal cavity during the procedure. I bought a post-partum compression garment and have worn it the last few days. My belly is feeling much flatter. It helps with pain too because nothing moves and it supports your back! I did have a pair of jeans on over the weekend, too. I was really worried I wouldn't fit into my clothes, but I think I'll be alright. Also, I've been watching what I eat. I'm sure everyone is different, but I followed the advice to drink A LOT of water and get up and moving as much as possible to help with the gas. I also took Milk of Magnesia every night to avoid constipation. It worked like a charm!

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register