Post-Op Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Op Questions Post-Op Questions

Unread 01-04-2002, 10:42 AM
Post-Op Questions

Does anyone know how long you have to have a catheter if you don't have any bladder work done and how long do you have to have an IV or a morphine pump after surgery?

I was hoping to be up and around soon after, but I am not sure. Also, not sure if I need to even take my new PJ's to the castle. I think I have to stay 2 nights because my surgery is scheduled for afternoon. That was what my doctor said anyway. Also, how long do you usually have to stay in recovery? I plan to ask for the least amount of anesthesea because I always have trouble waking up after surgery.

Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 10:51 AM
tubes and other yuk

Hi!

My doc days both of those are quite variable. I'm having my surgery late in the day too since he does same day surgeries early. He said they'll remove the cath the next morning, and if I pee within a few hours, it stays out. Some girls it seems have a sluggish bladder and have to be recathed. That happended to me with a c-sec, but the second time they did not keep the cath in, and after that I was ok.

I understand they also try to get the morphine pump off after 12-24 hours, but that is also really variable.

From reading these boards I have learned everyone is different! Different surgery, different pain threshholds, different preferences for what matters.

Dorrie
Unread 01-04-2002, 11:00 AM
Post-Op Questions

Everybody's different.........but my surgery was on a Friday afternoon. My cath came out on Saturday morning and my morphine pump disappeared that evening -- I wasn't using it by then anyway but I didn't like the way it made me feel dizzy when I tried to get out of bed to get to the bathroom, and I didn't think the pain was all that bad compared to some I've had to live with!! I was released from the hospital Sunday morning. My dh says I was in recovery 2 or 3 hours ( I sure don't remember!)
As for the PJ's -- I sleep in t-shirts and I took a couple with me because I figured if they'd let me get out of those silly hospital gowns and into one of my t-shirts I'd be much more comfortable. The nurse helped me change into a t-shirt Saturday morning -- and just for info sake one thing I took to the hospital that I was really glad I took was thin long maxipads. I didn't know if I was going to bleed or not but they had me wearing one of their thick bulky things when I woke up in case of drainage and it was much more comfortable when I changed to my own underwear and pad.
Good luck with your surgery.
Peachy
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Post-Op Questions

Hi Diane

As far as my own experience, I was at the castle for 2 days, my surgery was at 8 a.m. Monday, I walked around that night, my I.V. came out Tuesday morning along with the pump (I was glad to see the drugs go, I didn't like the drugs) but unfortunately for me I had to have the cath stay in for 8 days cause my Dr did a big booboo on me. He knicked my bladder.

Other than that I was up and walking around the night of surgery, a few times the next day and then Wednesday I got to go home. Just take the walking slow. As far as jammies, I didn't pack any, I just used the castle attire, doubled up on those so no one could see my backside. I don't remember my recovery so I can't help you there. Good luck to you on your surgery, take care.
Unread 01-04-2002, 11:45 AM
Jammies

Hi,
I bought a pair of comfy pink slippers and some comfy jammies.
Wearing my own jammies made me feel better. I bought something that made me feel feminine yet still covered me properly. If you feel that you will be O.K. in castle attire then just wear there stuff. My pink scooby doo jammies did get a lot of attention though. Good Luck on whatever you decide.
God Bless,
Sue
Unread 01-04-2002, 11:46 AM
Post-Op Questions

I had my surgery at 7:30 a.m.
- in room at 3:00 p.m. (waiting on room - hosp very busy that day - was supposed to be for only a couple of hours)
- kept cath & IV (including morphine PCA) until around lunch time the next day
- told to stay in bed until everything was out
- was able to tinkle just fine after cath was out - yippee!
- showered & walked & walked & walked after everything was out
- took some pretty pj's to put on when IV was removed - helped me feel better
- had to stay 2 nights because of fever (101.7) the a.m. after surgery

I hope everything goes well for you!
Unread 01-04-2002, 11:49 AM
catheter

I had surgery mid morning was back to my room about noon. They took both the cathater and morphine pump off as well as any IV's out the next morning about 8 AM. Everything worked fine and has since. ( about 3 weeks post op). One word of advice on the oral pain meds - don't try to tough it out - be sure and ask when you begin to feel uncomfortable - I waited tooooo long and then it took about an hour and a half before it really kicked in and gave me relief.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register