No HRT after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No HRT after hysterectomy No HRT after hysterectomy

Unread 01-04-2002, 04:29 PM
No HRT after hysterectomy

I am scheduled for a PAH/BSO/Burch on Jan 18 for a very large fibroid that has caused lots of trouble. When I asked my doctor about HRT, to my sirprise he said that they are being more conservative now about starting HRT and that we should wait and see how things go. Based on the results of a bone density test and the severity of menopausal symptoms we would then think about HRT. I asked my primary care physician (who is also my brother-in law) about it and he fully agreed. Since I don''t have endometriosis I thought the hormones would be perscribed right away. I am almost 50 but haven't started menopause yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is anyone else not going to be taking hormones after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2002, 04:51 PM
Re:No Hrt

Karly,

My Dr wants to start me on hrt a week after surgery when I go to get my staples removed. He said he does it that way to decrease the risk of blood clots. He did say that if I started feeling bad before I left the hospital that he'd go ahead and let me give my script. Why the difference, I have no idea, maybe because I am 27 Altho my mother was 40 and given her patch right after surgery.

Have you tried to post this in the Hormone Jungle?
They tend to have much more experience with this. Good luck

Unread 01-04-2002, 04:56 PM
No HRT after hysterectomy

It sounds like you need to find out why your doctor wants to be "conservative" with HRT for you. Are there specific contraindications for you based on your history or symptoms?

It's very hard to generalize about HRT, but if I were you I would do ALOT of reading and question your doctor fully. HRT can have lots of benefits, and I'm curious as to why your doctor wants to wait to see if you start suffering and losing bone before starting it. Sounds a bit strange, but again, I have no context in which to put it. But please question them further!

Also, please visit our forum The No Hormone Jungle Oasis to learn more about sisters who are not allowed to take HRT and what they go through...it may help you decide what you want to do!!!

As Twyla says, please get smart about your own condition, ask the right questions, and if you disagree, keep pressing.

Please let us know what you find out!!!!

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register