Scheduled TAH getting off a memory foam mattress | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

getting off a memory foam mattress getting off a memory foam mattress

Unread 09-28-2010, 10:16 AM
getting off a memory foam mattress

Hi All,
Perhaps I'm obsessing here, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a memory foam mattress. If so, did you have difficulty getting out of bed post-op? I'm trying to figure out where to recuperate. I'd rather do it in my own bed, but if the mattress is going to be a problem, I'll camp out downstairs on our fold out bed.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Re: getting off a memory foam mattress

I had a TAH with a big vertical incision and I found that I was way more mobile than I had anticipated. I don't have a memory foam mattress, mind you, but it's been fairly easy getting up and out of bed or off the couch, no matter what height or softness.

They told me in the hospital to first roll onto your side, get your legs over the edge, and then use your arms to push yourself up. Standing up was fine, as using my legs didn't seem to disturb my belly.
Same as using the toilet, I was worried I'd need assistance, but I was ok to stand up and sit down with only minimal use of the counter beside me.

Hope your recovery goes as smooth as mine !
Unread 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM

i have a memory foam mattress too - I plan to camp out on our couch - is lower and foam rubber and comfortable. and I like the idea of being in the living room - can watch Tv, look out windows, see kitty....and still nap when I feel like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyzen View Post
i have a memory foam mattress too - I plan to camp out on our couch - is lower and foam rubber and comfortable. and I like the idea of being in the living room - can watch Tv, look out windows, see kitty....and still nap when I feel like it.
I have been thinking the same way, too! I have a nice recliner, and can see TV, and be around folks. I'm sure if I need to, I can still get into my bed. Still, I think if I stay in the recliner, my family will assume I'm up to making dinner and such. I plan to lay low as much as possible.
Unread 09-28-2010, 10:48 AM

I move around too, the recliner, the couch, the bed....it keeps my back from getting sore.
Lots of pillows are key too, to tuck between your knees or to push up against your back or belly...it's all about comfort, ladies.
...and being able to see the kitty is pretty important too!
Unread 09-28-2010, 12:33 PM

yah kitty will keep me company while home alone. but she does like to play a LOT, and likes to try to trip me when walking - I hope that is my biggest problem - avoiding her darting and plopping down in front of me the bedroom seems too much like a sick-room, at least in theliving room I can pretend I'm playing hookey from work - I do look forward to a 6 week vacation! better in time for thanksgiving : P
Unread 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM

I dont have a memory foam mattress but I do have a very high bed. the top of the mattress comes to right below my belly button..u have to step up into bed. I am worried about how to get up there since I am having a posterior repair done too and will have episiotomy type sutures..This is gonna be a chore to get in and outta bed...but my couch is not comfy at all...ughhhh
Unread 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM

I have a high mattress with memory foam and a lower mattress in the guest room with no memory foam. If I stayed in "our" bedroom with the high mattress, I'd use a step stool by the bed. I think I'll stay in the guest room with the lower and firmer mattress at night, and probably in the recliner during the day. I'm already training the two bird dogs to stay off my lap...the recliner by the window and on my lap is their favorite vantage point to the yard.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register