scared of rectocyle repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared of rectocyle repair scared of rectocyle repair

Unread 11-22-2002, 07:16 PM
scared of rectocyle repair

Anyone have a rectocyle repair? How do they fix it and how bad does it hurt afterwards? Having a LAVH on Tuesday and would like to hear some stories of the rectocyle repair. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2002, 08:09 PM
you aren't alone

Hi

I'm having a rectocele repair with my hysterectomy too; its got me more worried than anything else.

I know lots of ladies have had it done.

Dana
Unread 11-22-2002, 09:08 PM
scared of rectocyle repair

Hi ladies! I had an A&P repair (the "P" was for a rectocele) along with my TVH/BSO, and a bladder suspension while we were at it. Since I didn't not have the repair as well, I can't compare the recovery and pain levels with or without, but I can say that I did just fine and you will too.

My best friend the first six weeks post op was my donut pillow. In fact, I have several, and still sit on one occasionally. I kept one in the car, one in the house and I had an inflatable one to travel with because I had to travel at 4 weeks and again at 6 weeks.

I was on pain meds for two weeks after I came home from the castle, vicodins and motrin at first and then darvocet and motrin because the vicodin can be constipating, and what you don't want is to have to strain to have a bm.

Stool softeners are important; I took a colace after every meal starting in the castle, through four weeks post op. Also I made sure to drink lots and lots of liquids (mostly plain water).

As for how they fix the rectocele, that can depend on your DR. Mine did it vaginally, which is the most common method. She basically cut up the back wall of the vagina, across the top and down the front (there was a cystocele too so the front wall had to be repaired as well). After removing the uterus, tubes and ovaries she sewed everything back up, with a double row of stitches up the front and down the back to reinforce the walls and hopefully prevent a recurrence. The top, where the cervix had been, was folded over slightly and also double stitched, forming the "vaginal cuff". I apologize if picturing this upsets anyone... if it's any consolation, there are not a lot of pain receptors up inside the vagina so there's very little pain from that part of the incisions. Most of the pain is from the stitches at the anus, which feels a lot like an episiotomy.

I hope this helps ease your minds a little.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2002, 06:17 AM
Surferbabe is so good with her explanations

so I don't have much to add other than I had a rectocele repair too nearly 4 weeks ago and minimal discomfort. The suture at the rear entry to my vagina was annoying, but not painful. Kinda like I had a tampon string hanging out. I just want to reiterate the importance of maintaining soft stools and not straining to poop. That smarts if it happens! Colace is my friend and ducolax is too, but only as needed. I don't want to develop a dependence on laxatives.

I am so glad we got the rectocele fixed! In the past, I would strain so hard to attain a bowel movement that I developed severe hemmorhoids, fissues, fistulas and abscesses (one that landed me in an emergency surgery). Getting a functional rectum should elimimate recurrance of these problems, so says my proctologist. Compared to what I experienced with the other rectal problems, pain with the rectocele repair is nothing! I was off narcotics a week post op.

I also had TVT or the bladder sling done. So far, it is a success. At 41, the idea of adult diapers was not for me. And it was constricting my lifestyle to avoid long outings etc since I didn't know when I could get to a toilet or if I would have a chance to go pee so frequently.

For me, yes, the idea of the repair was frightening but the idea of NOT having the repair was terrifying. At least doing the A & P repair with the LAVH, I saved myself a trip to the OR in the future.

My gyn surgeon told me the rectocele repair adds about 15 minutes to the total time in the OR.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register