Is is worth removing my uterus because of large fibroids? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is is worth removing my uterus because of large fibroids? Is is worth removing my uterus because of large fibroids?

Unread 03-31-2008, 07:18 AM
Is is worth removing my uterus because of large fibroids?

Debbie --
a couple years ago, I had bunions removed (a far more complicated process than I had anticipated)...and people immediately considered me an expert, they kept showing me their feet, and asking if I thought they, too, should get bunionectomies! Silly Q, but my response was "It doesn't matter how your feet look, it matters how much they hurt". and they same thing kind of applies here -- doesn't matter how big the fibroids are, or how many, it depends on what problems they're causing.
beyond that, I'd always thought that fibroids were removed by D&Cs - fairly simple procedures, and now I know that's not the case. FWIW, my gyn said that due to the size/location of the largest of my fibroids, it would be much more dangerous to remove the fibroid than to remove the uterus; even so, she'd consider doing that, if I was considering having children, but only after making sure I understood all the risks.
It's really unfortunate that it sounds like your 2nd opinion - while agreeing with the 1st, is making you less sure of your decision.
Good luck and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 10:07 AM
for Mary

Thank you Mary, I'm feeling more confident in my decision. Better quality of life is what I want.
Be well.
debbie
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:24 AM

Well Said Laurie... despite what I may feel about the doctor's recommendation, I know that I want to have the fibroids gone. I'm not interested in having children so I may as well remove my uterus. I waiver when I speak with family and friends because they see no need to have the hysterectomy. I think that they are projecting thier own desires.
Thank you for your perspective.
debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiec1008
I waiver when I speak with family and friends because they see no need to have the hysterectomy. I think that they are projecting thier own desires.

I've started making a point of telling friends (and they are close friends, and I know they mean well) that I have found this WONDERFUL site where people are supportive, and share experiences/info, but that the moderators do not allow people to tell others what to do, or challenge decisions that others have made.
I think a couple of them are finally starting to get my point

FWIW, I do think it's probably easier to be nonjudgmental, and nonassertive, and less pushy, when you're not face-to-face, and it's not someone you actually know.
Unread 03-31-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiec1008
I waiver when I speak with family and friends because they see no need to have the hysterectomy. I think that they are projecting thier own desires.
I'm 3 months post-op from a TAH for fibroids (both within and outside of my uterus) and it's quickly ranking up there as one of the best days of my life. My family saw the problems they were causing, and were totally supportive.

You'll see threads here that discuss folks that are less than supportive -- might be worth it for you to read them. Sounds like you need some support!
Unread 03-31-2008, 04:10 PM

I am almost 7 months from my hyster and it was the BEST decision I made for myself!

I had 2 opinions as well. Even with symptoms of menopause now it still was worth it!
Unread 03-31-2008, 05:02 PM

Hi Debbie!

When it comes to ovary function after a hysterectomy, some women don't notice any difference, some notice symptoms of menopause that go away over time as the ovaries recover but there are also women whose ovaries don't recover at all. It's important to know of those possible outcomes so you can factor that into your decision. There's no way to know in advance what your experience will be but by being fully informed, you can be ready to accept that possible outcome. You can discuss with your doctor what will be done if that happens to you. If your doctor says it's impossible to lose ovarian function due to the hystrectomy you may want to seek another opinion.

Best wishes with whatever you decide!

s
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:27 AM

Hello everyone,
I was not sure if a hyst was the right thing for me either. But my fibroids continue to grow. So does my uterus. It is 15cm right now, as big as someone @ 4 mos. Periods are (were?) super heavy for 2 days, but I thought it was manageable.
Then I found out in Jan '08 that I was critically anemic. My GP suggested then that I better start thinking that I would need a hyst. Then I went to an OB/GYN and she said the same thing. Other options had a 50/50 chance of working. So I got a 3rd opinion. Same thing, get a hyst.
I am fighting tooth and nail to keep my ovaries, but the surgeon's nurse says they want to be able to take them if there is a problem with them. I guess I just have to trust the DRs.
I hope I am making the right choice, cuz you can't go back.
Unread 04-01-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famouscobb
I am fighting tooth and nail to keep my ovaries, but the surgeon's nurse says they want to be able to take them if there is a problem with them. I guess I just have to trust the DRs.
Everyone wants to keep them, but on your surgical consent form, it will have a provision for removing them if medically necessary (so they don't have to go in twice). Most surgeons like to leave healthy tissue, so it would be great if you could talk to your surgeon directly to be reassured.
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:41 PM

Thank you all for your responses.
Tomorrow I will have my hysterctomy. I thank God for this site and all you wonderful sisters because you have made me more at ease with my decision.
I will be home from hospital in 3 or 4 day and will update you all then.
God Bless and be well.
Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register