Vertical vs Horizontal - What's best to avoid fat shelf? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vertical vs Horizontal - What's best to avoid fat shelf? Vertical vs Horizontal - What's best to avoid fat shelf?

Unread 02-26-2009, 05:45 AM
Vertical vs Horizontal - What's best to avoid fat shelf?

Oh my sisters.

I have been reading tons of comments on swelling and/or fat shelves that come after a TAH and it was a BIG surprise. Not a good one either. I am 145 pounds and have been trying to get in shape since last November but had to stop in January due to excessive bleeding.

Now I am learning that exercise is pretty much out of the question during recovery if you want to heal faster and avoid Swelly Belly. This is heartbreaking for me.

I am no longer worried about the scar whatsoever. Now I am terrified of having a permanent roll of fat and/or a swollen belly that I have never had in my life.

Did ANYONE not have this experience? All I have seen are stories where you ladies have had this happen and are still struggling.

My question - does the scar being vertical or horizontal in any way influence fat shelves or Swelly Belly? I realize a fat shelf can overhang on a horizontal scar. What happens on a vertical? Which one would be least likely to create a problem?

I'm sorry if this is vain but I have planned on working very hard to get this 43-year-old body in better shape and this is completely devastating to me. Basically, it is like telling me I cannot exercise for the next year and when I do it won't do any good because I will have a roll of fat where there never was one (or a swollen stomach) and it will be there forever. And what is worse is that the more I exercise, the worse it gets.

If anyone has a positive experience or tips on the best way to treat this to minimize it PLEASE share. I would really appreciate it.

Last night I told a friend I would rather have a scalpel left in my stomach then permanent fat (sick, I know). Oh gosh.

Abbey

My question is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2009, 06:12 AM

I worried a bit about that too, before my surgery. I had a bikini line incision with my tah/bso. I had managed to get into shape after losing almost 75 pounds & did not want any of it back! I'm happy to say that I'm just about the same weight now as before surgery ( almost 7 years now ). I did have swelly belly at first but it went down - slowly to be sure but better day by day. I was never bed-ridden. I started walking the day after surgery, slow & easy, adding distance as I felt up to it. I was released to resume normal activities at 6 weeks post-op. I waited ant extra week and then returned to my dance classes - tap, jazz, ballet & clogging. That helps keep me in shape.

I'm older than you ( by a lot ) and am still in pretty good shape; my tummy is not perfectly flat but I don't have a fat overhang either.

Hopefully someone with a verticle incision will share experiences with you

Best wishes.

Unread 02-26-2009, 06:24 AM

Jean, thank you.

You have no idea how I needed to hear that. All I've read so far is one horror story after another. I am wondering if the shape you are in before surgery has anything to do with it, although there were quite a few skinny ladies who had problems as well.

In any event, it helps just knowing now there is actually a possibility of getting in shape and having my clothes fit.

I think I love you. Lol.

Abbey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2009, 06:59 AM

Yesterday at my pre-op, my doctor said the swollen belly only lasts (generally) 2-4 weeks. I am hopeful for a flatter belly afterward, because my uterus is so enlarged. There is no chance of my having a flat belly at this point, regardless of how many crunches I do, so I am hoping for something flatter after the healing is done.

I asked my GP which incision was more dangerous, or tough to heal, and she said vertical was more invasive than horizontal. Being 45 as I am, I am more concerned with adhesions and healing properly than my flat belly, but you're right - it would stink to have more there afterward, rather than less. For me, the outside right now is less important than the inside.
Unread 02-26-2009, 07:09 AM

Sjvl,

You do bring up a good point. I just assumed the outside was directly related to the healing going on inside. It helps to know the vertical is more invasive.

From what I have read, there is a lot of extra blood going to the surgery area because it is an 'injury' and this is what causes the swelling. Or something like that. It then said the internal healing process could take 6 months to a year, hence swelling for up to a year.

Regardless, I still do not want a permanent shelf and will do almost anything to avoid it. I wish I had the attitude of most women here. They just beautifully take it all in stride, including yourself.

Thanks again.
Abbey
Unread 02-26-2009, 07:22 AM

Hi Abbey:

I have read that it does take up to a year to heal completely inside. Seems like a long time, doesn't it? I am hopeful I don't 'forget' around Christmas and lug down all the ornament boxes by myself.....Ha!

I will take it in stride, but do not be fooled - I want to look good in my clothes too! I am naturally thin, and really dislike what we call my 'poochie' right now, and am definitely hoping it will go away after the surgery. I always thought it was a byproduct of childbirth, but of course, I was wrong.

For me, that all seems like something I can fret about later. Right now, surgery and recovery await. Off to the shower and my hospital pre-op!

S.
Unread 02-26-2009, 07:35 AM

S. (lol)

If you get a chance, drop back and tell us how it went today.

Abbey
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM

i've had a couple abdominal surgeries and all but one left nice flat scars. i have no idea why the one didnt...i dont know if it was my body or the surgeon. i am very thin and athletic, and i had a concave scar that looked like a fat shelf. i had a scar revision/mini tt a year later, i just couldnt stand it. theres no way to know if that will happen or not but i can tell you that the first time i looked down and saw that scar, it was obvious that it was very different than any other i had.
you can exercise during recovery though..walking is encouraged. i've always found that the faster i'm up and walking, the better i feel. just check with your dr about how much walking you can do. i never had any limits since i had the lsh. good luck!
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:57 AM

dressedupinblue,

Are they horizontal or vertical?

Abbey
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:52 AM

i've had all horizontal incisions. i personally would not opt for the vertical just to try to avoid the shelf though.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register