Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer

Unread 08-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Newbie and scheduled soon - TAH for endometrial cancer

Having them look at your biopsy again was an excellent idea! In 2001 I asked for an ultrasound because every year my doctor mumbled something about "fibroids." After the ultrasound I got a call saying I had a 7 cm tumor on my ovary, it could be cancer and had to come out. A few weeks later I woke up from laparoscopic surgery (which might have turned into a TAH depending on what they found) and the doctor was saying "good news!" The good news was that I HAD no tumor on my ovary, what they'd seen on the ultrasound was a bladder diverticulosis. I sure wish I'd had that reviewed by someone else before having unnecessary surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Hey Phoenix, glad to hear you're getting yourself set up at home for a nice recovery. The day before my surgery I spent the morning and afternoon in a whirlwind of activity getting the house sparkling clean, (I hate to clean!) taking care of paperwork at home and for my yoga center, getting fresh sheets on the bed, stuff like that. So I came home to a nice clean house, a fresh and cool bed, and of course friends sent flowers and started bringing over food and good books for me to read. Here's one tip for comfort in bed that really helped me; LOTS of extra pillows. You'll need some to prop your back up for reading and sleeping for the first week or so, and I also kept one for under my knees for sleeping that first week too. And then if you're a side sleeper and when you are comfortable enough to do that, the pillow that you used under your knees will be great tucked between them. The extra pillows really made me so much more confortable, you have no idea. Then there's the bedside setup; water, pain meds, books and magazines, your glasses if you wear them, a thermometer to check your temp, and the remote control if there's a TV in there. And the phone too, you'll get lots of calls from folks checking up on you. I had a great time lounging during my recovery!
Unread 08-20-2008, 01:50 PM

GOOD GIRL>>>>
hope thats not all your gonna do to pamper the princeess though....
good thinking too on getting a second opinion...
yes I too felt like I didnt know what to say or do when I first joined HS..But as time goes on it all clicks and it feels like home... I am not a computer whiz and found some things a challange to figure out.. that to has got easier now as I played around with different things and was able to figure them out...
eewww the bowel prep, I had to do it 2 times for each surgery... so gross... there are several old threads that have ideas on how to get the drink down... good ideas .... still the stuff is gross... I did my prep in the afternoon too, didnt want to be up all night long, the only thing is once you start it you cant eat anything...nada. nothing... just drink clear liquids...what time is your surgery Friday? hope it is an early one...
Thanks for the idea on the creams, I did see those at walmart, and was going to ask my Dr about them... I cant stand these side effects I am having lately and my cancer is estrogen fed, so HRT is not really an option for me.... I go in September for yet another biopsy to see if cancer is gone...
If at that time I am still miserable I am going to ask about the cream....
I am so chicken of the side effects from any meds, that I just shut up and suffer most of the time... something I shouldnt do to myself....
so you must be counting the days and minutes...sigh.... I must tell you even though I have some icky menepause symptoms the hyste was the best thing i have done, for my body.. I suffered way to long with heavy periods, no periods and belly cramps.... little did I know that my uterus didnt like me very much...once I evicted her it's been a better enviorment...
you made me laugh at your comments about teaching english....oh the things they do teach children in school these days. English should be priority, but instead they teach how to put a condom on.....sheesh....
and it has been unfortunate all the stupid surgery's I have had, the one that screwed me up the most was when I had diverticulitis and I had to have my colon resectioned...yikes that one was awful.... if only they had a site like this for that surgery... I came across this site by accident...I am so blessed to have found it.... and I keep coming back for more even after my surgery, so it must be good....
well I am hoping that your day goes by with only good things, and that you will find peace and comfort ... and remember pamper yourself.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2008, 02:12 PM

davinci knows her stuff .... the pillows for sure are so great... lots of them for sure... to add to her list of things I had some ice packs in the freezer to help me, the soft gell ones were great....I also had a pad of paper bedside to write when I took my meds so if I forgot I didnt over medicate myself...
I did clean like a crazy lady too, not sure why but it helped to pass time by more quicky...not sure why i felt so compeled to clean under my bed (like who was going to look under there) but I did... it was a sickness in itself...at least while i recovered my home was clean for a while...now I am better and I hate cleaning,, go figure....
hhmmm things to take with you to hospital: granny panties (a bit bigger then what you normally wear) some mints/ hard candies because you will have really bad dry mouth after surgery, lemon ones work great. your cell phone because after certain hours you cant get calls, and long distance calls from the hospital are way to expensive... and ask nurses for extra pillows while you are there...lots of them.....use them to hold against your belly to cough, sneeze, or to support your belly .. of course slippers, robe and a night gown (the ones they give you at the hospital stink they chocked me and my butt hung out( not a nice site to see) LOL... I did pack some magizines but with all the drugs I had there I couldnt really focus on them to read them... and my own tooth brush because the one they give you at the hospital is for Mr. Ed
Unread 08-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davincinancy
Hey Phoenix, glad to hear you're getting yourself set up at home for a nice recovery. The day before my surgery I spent the morning and afternoon in a whirlwind of activity getting the house sparkling clean, (I hate to clean!) taking care of paperwork at home and for my yoga center, getting fresh sheets on the bed, stuff like that. So I came home to a nice clean house, a fresh and cool bed, and of course friends sent flowers and started bringing over food and good books for me to read. Here's one tip for comfort in bed that really helped me; LOTS of extra pillows. You'll need some to prop your back up for reading and sleeping for the first week or so, and I also kept one for under my knees for sleeping that first week too. And then if you're a side sleeper and when you are comfortable enough to do that, the pillow that you used under your knees will be great tucked between them. The extra pillows really made me so much more confortable, you have no idea. Then there's the bedside setup; water, pain meds, books and magazines, your glasses if you wear them, a thermometer to check your temp, and the remote control if there's a TV in there. And the phone too, you'll get lots of calls from folks checking up on you. I had a great time lounging during my recovery!
Wow, there are some great tips in this one; got the extra pillows ready, I am a side sleeper so I will remember your suggestions. Surgery scheduled for Friday at 8:00 AM; hope to be home Sat or Sun night. I've been cleaning all day, doing the prep tomorrow and driving at 4:00 AM to the castle. Let's get on with this!!!! Thanks again for your support, it's mean everything.
Unread 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Just got my surgery time!!!!!

Okay, thanks again to all for the suggestions, thoughts and support. Friday, Aug 22nd, at 8:00 AM I will be in surgery getting all the cancer removed with my TAH. By 10:00, I'll be in recovery and Noon in my room. By 2:00 or 3:00 pm I wil be in the hallway walking (if they let me). I'm too old, I can't afford to waste any time. Plus, since I've never been married who's to say I won't meet a nice doctor who needs an older woman? Just kidding---I love being independent and my life partner is sooooo good to me. By Sunday, I hope to have a small dish of ice cream. Then in a couple of weeks/months back to Puerto Villarta to swim with my favorite dolphins. I know they miss me!!!! Okay, girls I'm crying as I say thanks again for your support. I'll be back soon to let you all know how I made out----on the Post-Op blog? Right?
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM

OMG I LOVE your life...swimming with dolphins, Puerto Villarta, I am soo wanting to do that... and the bowl of ice cream.... you sure have a wonderful frame of mind and it is so nice to see that.... yuh about meeting the nice Dr's..... they are so young, i felt like they were doogie housiers ....but really cute....I could be their mom kinda young..... you have everything mapped out, hope it all goes smooth for you...I am sure you will do fine and walking those halls soon...
Unread 08-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Just got redirected to this site......

I posted on the wrong forum and was re-directed here. Good thing because I too was just diagnosed with endometrial cancer two days ago. It is a relief to know there are others out there in the same situation and can offer support and much needed advice.
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Hey rjnvpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnvpn
I posted on the wrong forum and was re-directed here. Good thing because I too was just diagnosed with endometrial cancer two days ago. It is a relief to know there are others out there in the same situation and can offer support and much needed advice.
As someone else once told me.....Welcome to the club that no one wants to join. No problem, you are in great company and if you are having a TAH to get rid of the cancer; you will be fine. I go tomorrow morning for my surgery and I am positive everything will go well. The diagnosis sets you back a step but just push forward because there are worse things out there. State of mind is the most important thing, so get your head on straight. Also early diagnosis is the most positive thing. Good luck to you and check in on the Post-Op form in about 3/4 days. I will post my experience there and offer any support you need!!!
Unread 08-21-2008, 10:03 AM

Hi Phoenix,
I just wanted to wish you all the best tomorrow. I know that everything will go great and by this time tomorrow you will be Cancer free.
The worst part of the whole experience is waiting. I promise.
I remember almost 3 years ago waking up from the surgery and how much better I felt. My Dr saved my life. When he opened me up he found an infected uterus(a lovely shade of green) and if he hadn't suggested this surgery I would be dead.
I wish you a very uneventful surgery and wonderful recovery.
I will be thinking of you tomorrow.
Best wishes!
Melanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register