38 yrs old/ having total hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > New Member Help Center - Introduce Yourself

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

38 yrs old/ having total hysterectomy 38 yrs old/ having total hysterectomy

Unread 12-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Red face - 38 yrs old/ having total hysterectomy 38 yrs old/ having total hysterectomy

Hi there,

I am new here! I am scheduled for a robotic assisted total hysterectomy at the end of February. I will turn 38 next week and have 4 children. My last baby was born c-section 5 years ago and I have tubal ligation at that time. Since then my periods have been terrible with severe bleeding, horrible mood swings and tremendous pain.

In September 2010, I thought I was having a kidney stone. I had never had one before, but the amount of pain I was in was unreal and aside from giving birth I thought this has to be a stone! I was vomiting, running a high fever and was doubled over the bed in horrific pain. I went to the ER and was shuffled from one hospital to the next and was told I had fluid in my pelvis and had a cyst on my ovary. Two days later and not in as much pain but much sicker than I was I followed up with ob/gyn. She admitted me to the hospital as they didn't really know what was going on. The ultrasound showed a mass between my right ovary and appendix, but since my tubes were burnt and tied, they couldn't understand how the mass ended up where it was because it was on the part of the tube/ovary not connected to each other. I was in the hospital 6 days on heavy duty antibiotics and could not break a fever. Fever finally broke and went home on even more evil antibiotics that made me sicker than a dog... Flagil and Floxin. I might've spelled them wrong. Anyway, whatever this was went away..for awhile.

Months passed and I felt "okay". In June 2011, I was in about the same amount of pain. Went back to the ER, told I had a tubal/ovarian abcess on the right side. Admitted 4 days in the hospital and told again they didn't really know what was going on. Received heavy duty antibiotics again. This time my wonderful female ob/gyn had left the practice so I was left to deal with the male ob/gyn that thinks woman are whimps so I knew I was in for a bad ride. I am overweight as well, so he treated me as though my weight was the only issue...granted, I know I need to lose weight to be healthy but also knew in my gut it wasn't the root cause of my female whoes. He said that he was just going to send me home and see what happens. I was still in lots of pain but he refused pain medication. He said to take tylenol.

Less than 2 weeks later I was beginning to feel something brewing on the right side once again. I called his office and they made me an appointment for ultrasound of the right ovary. The day of my appt I was at work and the pain was just intensifying. I drove myself to the ER and by that point was doubled over crying in pain. They did ultrasound and my ovary had torsion as there was some sort of abcess/cyst (I don't really know) that was 7 cm. I was admitted to the hospital and had open abdominal surgery two days later. The same male ob/gyn offered to send me home with antibiotics and "see what happens" or do the surgery to remove the twisted ovary. I opted for removal since I knew this would just keep happening. I asked him to please just take it all because I was done having children and I was tired of always being in pain.

He said he could not do that unless it was medically necessary. I am rambling on here so will speed this up.... long story short, right ovary and tube was removed. He said it was a mess and was all massed together. "I didn't have a tubal/ovarian abcess but I had something" were his words.... I was cut hip to hip and he only gave me 5 days worth of percocet. I was in horrendous pain and he treated me as though I was pill seeking and would not give me pain medication past the 5 days. He said my brain was telling me I was in pain. I told him he needed to grow a uterus and we'd talk.

My recovery was very rough. I went back to work 6 weeks later but was not ready but had no choice as he would not extend my time. I have had 3 cysts now in my left ovary since the surgery. He blew me off and said to lose weight and we'd talk about treatment.

I found a female ob/gyn who is wonderful. She asked me what I wanted and I told her a hysterectomy. She said after all my troubles she thinks that is best. I have to wait almost 2 months though because she is going to attempt robotic surgery and the hospital had a long waiting list. I am miserable with pain and am still sporting a cyst on the left ovary but for now am able to function as best I can. I am taking vicodin to manage pain but try to limit the doses to only 2 pills a day as needed. It's no way to live but what can you do...

I welcome any advice and look forward to hearing others experiences. Thanks for listening to my rambling!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Welcome!

Welcome to HysterSisters!

Your hysterectomy date is coming up and you will probably want to find support for your pre-op questions.

The pre-op forum can be found by visiting Pre-Op Forum.

Visit the Pre-Op page for information, articles, resources and the latest pre-op discussions!

For more information about managing your journey around the HysterSisters.com site, visit New Here. General answers to basic questions about the site can be found in our FAQ.

We are glad you registered!

Again, welcome to HysterSisters!

P.S. This is our "Introduce Yourself" forum and its purpose is to point you in the proper direction for the best support for your needs. Only staff can reply here for the purpose of helping you find your way around the HysterSisters.com website. Support by our members is offered in our support forums (links in this reply above) where you can ask your specific questions and receive replies from our members. We look forward to seeing you on the support boards of this site!

Unread 12-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Re: 38 yrs old/ having total hysterectomy

I’m sorry you’re having problems that bring you here but am very glad you’ve joined and hope you’ll benefit from the wealth of information and support.

Princess Ruby has linked our Pre-Op Page above, which is packed with information, and also the Pre-Op Support Forum where you’ll find all the other ladies awaiting surgery. Please don’t hesitate to start a new thread there ~ just as you did here ~ so your ((sisters)) can share their experiences if you’ve any concerns.

Sending all good wishes for your surgery and recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register