Pre-Cancer: Complex hyperplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Complex hyperplasia Complex hyperplasia

Unread 02-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Complex hyperplasia

Hi everyone! Hope your all doing well. I haven't posted in some time but had some questions maybe someone could help with. Well to bring everything up to date. Last December (2009) I had a biopsy that came back showing I had complex hyperplasia with atypia. Then my gyn said had to have hysterectomy asap but wanted to do a d&c with hysteroscopy to see what she was getting into before surgery. Well I had that done on January 26th, was not given enough drugs and felt the whole thing. Results came back February 2010 showing simple hyperplasia no atypia and a polyp as well. So she put me on megace for 3 months. I went back June 2nd, 2010 for another biopsy. She then put me on medroxyprogesterone for 1 year. 20mg a day. Didn't hear back from her and was so scared to call. However, the waiting is worse then the possible news, so I called August 5th, 2010 and they gave me the results. Results showed no sign of hyperplasia. Great news. the progesterone was for 14 days on then 14 off. She wanted to see if she could kick start my periods again. I don't know why blood tests showed I was in menopause even though I am rather young for that. However, she wanted to try this approach. So after the first 14 days. I had a small period that lasted 3/4 days. I kept taking it after that for July till now and no more bleeding. (the reason this all started was I was spotting, not fresh blood but old blood). However, on the 21st of January. I had one spot of blood. Well I think it was blood. It was not dark really but not red either so I wasn't sure what it was. I don't know if discharge can be this color. (sorry for too much detail) I didn't worry too much but then on the 31st of January. Had one spot as well. I am freaking out. I am wondering if the progesterone is building up the lining of my uterus which is what is does, but not shedding. I thought I was not bleeding because there was nothing to come out but if progesterone builds up the lining then why am I not bleeding???? I am sooo scared again its not funny. After reading so many posts here I am scared that I might have cancer. I had asked her if complex hyperplasia with atypia and simple hyperplasia can co-exist and she said yes and that is why she tried the megace for 3 months to make sure if there was anything the megace would take care of it. (But the results in June showed no hyperplasia) I am scared that I had one area with atypia, and that now is cancer. I don't understand why I had spotting. I don't have anything when I wipe, just had two spots 8 days apart. Does this mean its back or that I have cancer even while take progesterone??? I know I need to go see her and I will but I am freaking out now. She was a good gyn and was of everything, with tests and such but she was not very kind when talking to me and was rather cold. Don't know if I should see someone else or continue with her. Also, I was so freaked out when I saw that spot that I wiped so hard I had a spot of fresh blood but I am sure that is because of what I did. I have no support team so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Re: Complex hyperplasia

I had a different diagnosis so I don't know that much about hyperplasia. But I think the spotting is probably just from the progesterone. When I was in my 20s (20 to 30 years before I got cancer), I was treated with progesterone to try to control symptoms of PMS. It caused spotting for me. This is probably just your body adjusting to all the hormonal ups and downs you've been through, trying to get back to normal.

It's important to call your doctor and get it checked out, but try to relax until then. I always try to assume the best until I know otherwise. (Easier said than done.)

Let us know what you find out. Hugs.
Unread 02-05-2011, 02:13 PM

Kasianni

First take a deep breath! Try not to let your fears overtake you.

Definitely call your Dr and get an appointment, we aren't Drs and even if we were we would have to examine you.

If you think your Dr is not treating you properly there is no reason not to for a 2nd opinion

as you await your appointment.

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2011, 02:47 PM

(((Kasianni)))

Tauruslady is absolutely right. Don't let fear get the best of you. Those deep breaths really do help.

Remember, you don't know anything for certain at this point, and the bleeding could just be from the progesterone. Even if it is somehow cancer related, you're likely catching things early when they are most treatable which is a very good thing.

As for your doc, if you're not comfortable with her, you can certainly see someone else. Have you seen a gyn/onc about these issues? It's always a good idea to get a second opinion, anyway.

Hang in there!
monami
Unread 04-01-2011, 10:34 PM

I do have an apt for April 6th. I am really freaked out now. I had another spot of blood tonight. I took my last pill of progesterone (for this 14day cycle) was yesterday.
Its not red its kinda almost brown like old blood and that is how this whole thing started for me. I cant stop thinking the hyperplasia is back or worse. Has anyone experienced this??? Please if you have I would appreciate to hear if this could be normal or not. I know no one is a dr here but surely someone must have taking progesterone and had some sort experience like this. Its almost 1am here and all I can think about is cancer, its driving me insane. Why after all these months of taking progesterone 14days on 14 off would I suddenly start spotting again. It surely must mean one thing and I don't want to go through all that again. Its so emotional and stressful.
Unread 04-03-2011, 12:00 AM

Is your gyn a gynecological oncologist? If not, maybe you could ask her to refer you to one. He/she could review all the procedures and treatment you've had done so far and give you a second opinion.

The spotting could be so many different things. It's important to get it checked out but try not to freak out too much. Keep yourself busy withh housework or do something fun, and keep doing research so you know what questions to ask. If possible, take someone with you to the appointment.

We're here to support you.
Unread 04-03-2011, 02:45 AM

Hi Sweetie,
I know if anyone has had a similar experience they will come along and post but remember many women move on and this may be more so re those who've had complex hyperplasia with atypia and found at least temporary success. I agree with the ladies who are recommending you at least consult with a gyn/onc and have them review your case; it could give peace of mind.
May you have a good Apr 6 appointment and receive good news. Please keep us posted.
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Thank you for your reply. I was feeling kind of invisible. I would have thought many here would have had some kind of the same experience. My Gyn is not onc/gyn but I do have one lined up at an amazing hospital for a second opinion, depending on the results of the April 6th biopsy. I can't read anymore information on the web, except for this site. The more I read, the more I become anxious and scared. The last tests from the d&c showed simple hyperplasia only, and the odd thing is when she was doing the hysteroscopy she said she saw somethings abnormal but couldn't say until pathology. She said there was no polyp but in the report the pathologist said there was pieces of a polyp. I don't know how she missed that and he didn't. Sigh. I can't deal with this all over again.When I got the news last June that there was no hyperplasia at all, I stopped thinking about it right away. The relief...I can't describe it at all. Now that I have a dark spot here and there, I am sure 1000% its back even though I am taking progesterone. I can deal with it being simple hyperplasia again, I will ask for megace and try to rid it again, but I can't handle cancer and that is what I am afraid of. My Mom died a horrible painful death. Her breast cancer had spread from the breast to the liver and the last memory of her being at home was her hemorrhaging in the bath and the bath water all red, she died 4 days later. I was 19. I think that it has always been on my mind. Even though treatments have come such a long way today its so scary to even think one might have cancer. I use to avoid it but now I am dealing with it and I am going to my apts but its still scary.
Unread 04-03-2011, 02:26 PM

I hope your upcoming report will show any nasty or even potentially nasty cells are gone.
I always recommend that members get a consult from a gyn/onc if pre-cancer/complex hyperplasia with atypia is/has been present as these doctors are the experts. When I asked re trying hormone treatments vice immediate surgery, my gyn.onc said he only did this in women of child bearing age IF they were immediately trying to conceive and that he always advised them they would have a hysterectomy either at birthing or soon afterwards to prevent cancer from ever forming. He said frequent tests (D&Cs) were necessary to best insure pre-cancerous or cancerous cells were not hiding anywhere,etc. I am not rying to scare you but you still may want to at least touch base with a gyn/onc to review your records, etc.
:hugs
Unread 04-03-2011, 06:04 PM

I agree. All I have to do is send them reports of any tests that I have done and based on that and the urgency they will schedule an appointment for me. Its about 45 minutes from here but at a great hospital and they are taking new patients and have a great team.
This is all so scary. I don't know why I am being such a baby about it all. Life has never really given me a break you'd think I would be use to it. I am always on guard. Gosh if for a moment I would let myself be happy and let my guard down, surely something will come along and take that moment away as well. I try to think positive its hard. I should say that last year I had thought the worst and got great news in June that I didn't even have hyperplasia at all, none to be found. I guess that is something good. Perhaps I did get a break.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register