What will I need | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What will I need What will I need

Unread 12-29-2001, 12:23 PM
What will I need

Hello, I'm new to this site, but love it already. My TAH is 1-2-02 and I'm nervous and excited for the new me. I'm thinking about my loss of something that has been with me for 38 years. But I'm sure in the long run I will feel so much better. I'm wondering if there's anything I need to get before I have this done. I read that alot of women used a heating pad, so that is on my to get list. If anybody else knows of anything else, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2001, 01:00 PM
What will I need

Hi Wally's Wife!

Here is a link to the Ladies In Waiting Pull-Down menu. I found the best ideas on preparation for the castle here:

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

Some items I found I did not need. Items I did use included:

- my own pantiliners/pads
- toothbrush/toothpaste
- lip balm
- backscratcher
- shampoo/conditioner
- ponytail holder for my hair
- brush
- large cotton panties
- slippers
- lightweight robe

Tip: Do NOT bring any valuables with you. I gave my DH my wedding band to hold for me while I was in surgery.

Best wishes!
Unread 12-29-2001, 01:02 PM
What will I need

Hi! Just wanted to drop in and welcome you! Glad you found us and posted. The ladies here are so helpful and supportive.

Best wishes with everything and keep us posted.

Sending s your way!

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2001, 05:43 PM
What will I need

Here is what I took to the castle, and bought for home:

Castle:

* A travel kit that had everything in it that I would need, just so I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting anything.
* A few pads, just in case I needed them.
* A brush
* My Hyster-Sister Journal and Book
* Change of clothes that were extra large.
* Extra Undies
* Chapstick and Blistex (both in moisturizing formulas)

Home:

* A LOT of Jello
* A big thing of Gatorade
* A ton of juice, especially Cranberry
* Yogurt (something I wish I had bought more of)
* A shower stool
* Thank you cards

Already had at home:

* a body pillow (highly recommended)
* heating pad with 2 hr auto cutoff

The only thing I can say is YOGURT YOGURT YOGURT!!! Yeast infections after surgery are annoying to say the very least!

Lots of s

Jennifer
Unread 12-30-2001, 01:25 AM
What will I need

Wallys wife

What you will need to organise is a support team for when you get home. This is usually immediate family or friends or neighbours. As I live out of town I was a little isolated but survived.
Also just spend a little time in the room where you will be mostly once home and arrange it just for you. Especially if you will be home alone during the day.
Books, magazines, pen, paper, phone close by, footstool or lounge to lay on. Remote control if you are a day time TV person. That was one thing I did not resort to during my 4 weeks home from work!.
Makes some meals up and freeze them because you will get hungry when no-one is about to prepare a meal and as small a task as it may seem now, standing to prepare a meal can be quite an effort.

I had a trouble free recovery and did get bored some days but when I look back it wasnt forever and now 3 months is almost past and I feel just so good!!!

Good luck
Unread 12-30-2001, 07:06 AM
What will I need

Just wanted to drop in and welcome you to this wonderful site. These ladies are the best!! You will do great, stop in and visit us in the chat room sometime. Best wishes.
Unread 12-30-2001, 07:09 AM
What will I need

s Wallys wife!

All the best to you in your upcoming surgery!! I would add that for the hospital, I also brought my discman with some relaxtion cd's. I spent 2 long but necessary days at the hospital and listening to my music helped alot! At home, you will not be bedridden, so prepare a place where you can lounge with your feet up to read, write, watch tv or whatever brings you joy! Although, you should limit your activities at home, short walks will help with gas and tired butt (from sitting or lounging). Wow, your day is almost here! Good Luck!
Unread 12-31-2001, 10:33 AM
shower chair

Hi, Wally's wife! The other item I was so glad I bought before surgery was a light-weight plastic patio chair to use in the shower. Especially with abd hyst, it is common to feel weak and possibly even light-headed after standing in the shower for awhile. If you have a chair in there (with a small towel across the seat), you can sit whenever you feel you need to. I used mine for 5 weeks, and loved it. A shower feels so good, but it's tiring. Good luck and best wishes!
Ruthie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register