Fibroids..size...hysto vs some other procedure? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids..size...hysto vs some other procedure? Fibroids..size...hysto vs some other procedure?

Unread 09-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Fibroids..size...hysto vs some other procedure?

I've had my diagnostics...two fibroids, one 3.8 centimeters submucosal, the other is smaller, and pedunculated. Had a couple " crime scene "bleeding episodes, off and on for four days. Doc wants vag. or lap hysto, says fibroids too big to remove with mymectomy or the hydrothermal way. Is that true, or perhaps just not in her "skill set" or her preference. What does anyone know about size of these tumors dictating the procedure?

Thanks in advance for whatever info you have.
Belva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2006, 11:53 AM

Hi Belva,

I think it is a good idea to question your Dr. It sounds like you want the least invasive approach. I might suggest you get a 2nd opinion. I got 2 opinions myself. In discussing a hyst, your age, medical background and wanting to possilby maintain fertility (or not) can enter into the discussion.

You might be a good candidate for a UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization), a procedure that shrinks fibroids or a myomectomy, removal of the fibroids only. My younger sister had a myomectomy for a grapefruit sized fibroid.

Also, if you go the hyst route, it sounds like your Dr. thinks you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst. I had a LSH for large fibroids (9.1 cm total at surgery time) and I am still very pleased with my surgery results.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the ~different~ types of hysts and questions to ask your Dr.:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm

Best wishes. We Hyster Sisters are here to help if we can.

Mary
Unread 09-09-2006, 11:59 AM

I would get a second opinion without any other details. I was considering a mymectomy (Dr wanted to do 3 months of Lupron) but decided against it as my larger fibroid was 71 mm. So, in answer to that question, I do think each Dr has their skill set. While my sugery was converted due to the volume of Fibroids found and bleeding, my largest was still growing and hadn't detered her.

One thing my Dr said the morning of my surgery was a composition of larger fibroids is alot like cutting through a hockey puck (This was for an LSH).

I have seen other posts where it apears at about 85 mm, Drs generally avoid lap surgerys.

Julie

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2006, 12:06 PM

Thank you Mary. I love my doctor, she's been wonderful for over 10 years, and is a Northwestern Grad, very good rep. She's about 43-ish, and no one is asking HER for her uterus, ha ha. She is willing to discuss all alternatives but her personal feeling is "a woman is not her uterus>" I agree, intellectually. I'm 60, don't need it. Probably will opt for the same procedure you had. Can you tell me, if it's not too personal (can you private email on this site?) your age, and how (or IF) your surgery affected your sex life? I do worry that I'll never have another orgasm...I've read this, and my doc says there are two camps on this....boy, what a crapshoot!

Whatever you can tell me would help. Also, did you have any bladder sypmtoms, and are they now resolved?

Interesting that my doctor says that 3.8 cent. is too large for myoectomy. Why do you suppose?

Thanks again!
Belva
Unread 09-09-2006, 12:11 PM

Yes, Julie, thanks, I might get another opinion. For now, I'm just doing homework. She seemed reluctant to perform hydrothermal ablation, but said she would have another doc in her practice in with her. She felt there's a "safety" threshold in that one, often having to end the surgery before completly "chipping away" at the thing. Then you'd have to go back in AGAIN...I agree, that's dumb.
Unread 09-09-2006, 12:22 PM

Hi Belva,

I was 46 when I had my hyst. My Drs felt I was too far out from menopause for it to help in shrinking my fibroids. I had a 15 cm uterus w/ fibroids when I was diaganosed. I went on (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids for my less invasive hyst. As I posted earlier, my uterus w/ fibroids was 9.1 cm going into surgery. Would I do my hyst over again?? In a second to have the ~quality of life~ I have now.

On my bladder and sex life?? I did have terrific bladder incontience in pre-op. My Dr. felt I had a 46 yr. old bladder and my two ~bad Boy~ fibroids were pushing on it. He did not recommend any bladder work with my hyst. Today, my bladder does work great. Can hold a full bladder. You can check with your Dr. to see if she recommends any bladder work with a hyst. Generally, it is a separate test. And sex?? It is still really good with my DH. Just no fibroid and bladder pressure now. And, I have no worry of b.c and bleeding with periods so that feels good too.

Hope that answers your questions.

Best wishes again,

Mary
Unread 09-10-2006, 12:03 PM

Hi Belva,

If bleeding is your only symptom and you are hesitant to have a more invasive surgical procedure you may want to consider UFE. It can be quite effective in resolving bleeding symptoms when performed by an interventional radiologist (IR) experienced in doing this procedure. I've been very happy with the resutls both for bleeding and bladder symptoms.

It's possible you may not be a good candidate for this since you mention you have a pedunculated fibroid but you would really need to be evaluated by an IR to know for sure - do not go on the opinion of your GYN alone.

I've also heard of people with much larger fibroids than yours having them removed with a myomectomy. If you want to go that route I think you need to find a "myomectomy friendly" GYN who doesn't simply recommend a hyst for anyone not interested in having any more children.

Good luck with your decision
Unread 09-14-2006, 07:00 PM

Belva,

I underwent UFE just over a year ago after living through fibroids and their many moods for more than 10 years. I went through many switches of birth control as the hoped for solution and finally could not deal with it any longer in the spring of 05. My doc had been one to let the fibroids run their course until I found them unbearable. The pain and loss of blood each month finally pushed me over the edge and the verdict was that the fibroids were such that a hyst was the only option. I sought a second opinion and was deemed able to have UFE. I have to say that it was the best thing I have ever done in my life. I am a totally new person. I have regular, normal periods and the mood swings are virtually non-existent. Additionally, the fatigue that came each month with the loss of blood is also a thing of the past. I am due for a follow up ultrasound next week and my year check up. My fingers are crossed that any growth has been curbed, but I would not trade the results I have experienced this past year. I got my life back and it is good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register