pmt is back after double ovary removal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pmt is back after double ovary removal pmt is back after double ovary removal

Unread 04-13-2011, 04:39 AM
pmt is back after double ovary removal

Hello everyone

After years of suffering with pmt i was finally sent to a gynecologist who put me on the prostap injection for 6 months. The results were amazing i felt like i was back to being myself again and the benefits to my marriage and my family where huge. My gyn then booked me in to have a double ovary removal and full hyst only because i saw his registrar things didn't go as hoped. I asked if i needed a hyst as had 18 month old at home and if not needed i would rather not. My gyn said the hyst would help with painful periods to which i said i didn't get. It was decided to have ovary removal until the morning of my op when i saw my gyn and he said that it may not work because i had endometriosis .............. which i had no knowledge of. I went through with ovary removal as planned. Everything went to plan until my doc put me on HRT and it has given me my feelings back again. My life has now been turned upside down and i'm struggling to cope. I have contacted my doc who has told me to come back off my HRT and speak to a new gyn that i'm seeing next week. She also agrees that i should of had hyst when had ovaries out.
I'm anxious about my app next week as husband thinks there may be alternatives to surgery but i'm at the end of my tether and dont want to TRY something that may not work. Sorry for going on
Its so lovely to know that there are other people out there who understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Re: pmt is back after double ovary removal

Hi and welcome--I guess this is a dumb question, but what is pmt? Is it like pms? I know there are alternatives to hysterectomy--it just depends on your problem. Folks with fibroids might find a myomectomy useful (removes fibroids, but leaves uterus). Heavy bleeding--maybe an endometrial ablation is a possibility.

I felt (and can only speak for myself) that I tried all the reasonable options (myomectomy and ablation) before choosing a hysterectomy. I'm not a good candidate for hormone treatments due to early stage breast cancer 7 years ago.

Hope you have a productive appointment with your doc and get some quality answers.

Dee
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Hi

PMT is the same as PMS so many different terms it gets confusing

Have tried SSRi's and Vitamin B6, St Johns Wort etc plus counselling and nothing seems to work grrrrr.

I'm just looking for a solution like everyone else just feeling like i'm running out of options. My mum has said something that has really stuck..... for 2 weeks of every month i'm not a person i like and its a really horrible time for me, then for 1 week i'm slowly coming round again......... which leaves me with 1 week of being the happy me that i miss. That means that for half of my life i am this horrible wreck that cant control anything, that doesnt want to be a part of my family and the person who is destroying my marriage. Thats not how i want to live, so whatever solution the doc can give me will be fine, i just want it to be over

Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2011, 08:42 AM

Forgive me if I am being too inquisitive--has your doctor mentioned trying an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor)? Zoloft is a common one (generic is sertraline). Some ladies get relief from pms (or pmt--thanks for letting me know what that meant) with SSRIs and sometimes they are used post-op for treating menopausal symptoms.

So, right now, you have had your ovaries out, and you are just looking at uterus, yes? Will your doc check for other things like endometriosis, fibroids, or adenomyosis?

Dee
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:44 AM

I am sorry you have already had one surgery and are facing another one.

The key for you could be the endometriosis. Removing the uterus isn't going to stop your pain and symptoms if all of the endometriosis is not skillfully removed and it is causing or contributing to your symptoms.

Also, if your symptoms are related to using the HRT, removing the uterus won't solve them either as that does not change your need for HRT.

Before your next appointment, make a list of all of your symptoms. If you have time, keep a daily symptom diary. This will help you and your doctor determine exactly what is going on and what your options might be.

I would also recommend looking for a doctor who specializes in treating endometriosis and one who specializes in hormonal issues.

My goes out to you and I hope you and your medical team can find the right solution for you soon!

Don't forget to get at least a second opinion before scheduling any major surgery!

Unread 04-13-2011, 01:51 PM

@ SADJACKIE....You make so much sense...Since developing this adenomyosis, I have been cruel, impatient and a jerk. I thought I was developing bipolar, but u hit the needle on the head. This confirmed to me that what im doing is not a CRIME after all. THANKS
Unread 04-15-2011, 02:08 AM

Thanks for your messages everyone

Over the last 10 - 15 years i have tried lots of different meds etc including a few SSRi's as my doctor for long enough thought i was depressed (after 2 suicide's....... which fortunately where not successful). My doc finally sent me to gyn because we had exhausted all other options, the problem with this was that my gyn was simply not interested ie i was just another face!!!!

The morning of my ovary removal he told me i had endometriosis to which i that point i did not know and he told me that my op would not work because i had painful periods due to the endometriosis. I told him again (for the 4th time) that i do not have painful periods i only get the emotional side ie feelings of worthlessness,extremely tearful,dis-interest in my marriage and family ........... actually life in general etc. Which was why i went through with the op

My op was fine and my doc put me on HRT because of my age and the risks that early menopause would do to my body. My doc phoned my gyn to ask which HRT he recommended for me as she was concerned that my HRT would give me the feelings back that the op had taken away. Unfortunately my gyn was completely uninterested and said it really didn't matter, which my doc was shocked to hear. On returning to the hospital for a check up i had words with my gyn about the way he had treated me, he told me that he had told me that i had endometriosis when i went in for my scan before my op. I told the gyn that he had never mentioned it and he said that he couldn't tell me the extent of it until they opened me up.......... my husband had been with me .......... he never mentioned the endometriosis. He then asked how i had been feeling after the op and i told him that i was no longer happy to deal with him, my sister had come with me to this app and told him she was appalled by the way he was speaking to us as he was very rude!!!!!!! He tried to make out that as i wasn't a gyn i didn't know what i was talking about and that he had tried to explain things but maybe a new gyn could make me understand better which was outrageous as we understood everything. If he had treated me better then the whole mix up etc would not have happened.

My doc put me on Cilest HRT with the understanding that i may have to have it changed. In the next 3 months we had a terrible time with our mum who was severely depressed after the breakdown of her marriage to my dad, we ended up having her admitted after we found she had tried to overdose and then we found her with knife marks on her wrist's. So by the time my tablets had got into my system i didn't know whether what i was feeling had been down to mum's health or my tablets, so we decided to give them another 3 month trial.

Unfortunately in the last month i have crashed again and began hiding. I phoned my doc and she told me to stop my HRT and because i am due to see a new gyn on Tuesday to just go tell him my history and see what he recommends. My doc feels that i should of had the hysterectomy when i had my ovaries removed and agrees that the way i have been feeling for all these years was not depression but down to my periods aarrgghh how frustrating

I now feel like i am back to square one and i put myself and my family through my ovary removal for nothing!!!!! I'm just really hoping i get some answers at my appointment because i don't want to keep going through this ......... i don't think i can keep doing this i feel like a crazy woman.

Sorry for going on

Sending hugs to everyone xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register