Hrt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Hrt

I have a question.

What would happen if you have your ovaries taken out and do NOT take any type of HRT at all? What problems would you have?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2002, 04:35 PM
hey buddy

The lady around the corner from me refused HRT. That was 20 or so years ago and she says she is fine. I worry about NOT taking it at my age because of bone loss and heart problems HRT may protect you from. Just a thought.
Unread 05-17-2002, 06:57 PM
Hrt

Hi, Lisa -

Maybe nothing..maybe several things.

HRT may prevent:

Menopause symptoms (hot flashes, night sweats, dry skin, lubrication problems, etc.). Some women have them, some never do. Some use other products to help reduce these. My understanding is that often (not always) women with surgical menopause will be hit harder with these, since it is sudden rather than gradual.

There are studies that indicate that HRT will help prevent:

Bone loss (especially in the first several years after menopause)
Altzheimers
Heart disease

There is mixed info on breast cancer - some studies have shown it slightly increases chances, some that it slightly decreases chances.

That said, it's a very personal choice. I was close to menopause anyway, and had hoped to make a decision one way or another 5-10 years down the road. My doc felt that I should go on HRT for at least several years after the hyst, and I decided to take his advice, after speaking to other folks and looking into things for myself. If I'd had menopause naturally, I'm still not sure what my decision would be.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Thanks Ladies,

Supposedly my doctor will be leaving my ovaries, but if he finds anything wrong with them, he will take them.

I'm wondering though because I've been having "mini" hot flashes. I'm only 39 and am wondering if perhaps I've started peri-menipause. If I'm going through that now anyway, he might as well take the ovaries and let me start on HRT.

I asked about not taking HRT because a lady at work had a hyst and said she isn't taking HRT. So that's why I wondered about just not taking anything at all.

Thanks,

Lisa
Unread 05-17-2002, 09:10 PM
Hi Shashi

I would encourage you to keep your healthy ovaries even if you are having mini-flashes as you indicated. The hot flashes are caused by a fluctuation in estrogen level. You may find that things even out after your surgery and recovery and the flashes stop. Or you may need just a little estrogen. There are studies that indicate ovaries can provide some hormonal benefits well past menopause. It is not necessarily a complete on or off switch (unless of course the ovaries are removed).
I would suggest you spend sometime on the Hormone Jungle and the No Hormone Desert Oasis to familiarize yourself with all of the symptoms, options and issues at stake. But it would be nice if you could put off the decision for a decade or so by keeping your ovaries.
Unread 05-18-2002, 04:58 AM
Hrt

Hi, I have a best friend tha tis trying to get me to stop useing my prescribed HRT and use herbs and alternative treatments . I haven't dared try because I've heard they don't always work. It is a very personal decision and one tha tyou need to do lots of research on. I'm glad that I am on mine (patch) I'm afraid of being an unbearable witch without it. I was very apprehensive about the whole thing but DR helped relieve those fears as did friends that are on HRT. Best to you as you enter the castle.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register