Ok, I'm going to say it now - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok, I'm going to say it now Ok, I'm going to say it now

Unread 09-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Ok, I'm going to say it now

I'm sorry things aren't going well. I'm not as far out as you, but can feel that a diseased part of my body is now gone. I am tired, I am leaking urine when i change positions and I still get back aches and belly pain when I do too much. My dh thinks I should be going full steam. I worked a full day yesterday for the first time( I walk all over an 11 floor facility) then went to a high school football game and had to walk to the far side of the parking lot and stadium. I feel like i have been beaten today. HOWEVER, all of the women I have talked to where I work have told me that it took them 3-6 months to feel "normal". My Dr is saying 6mos-to a year. At this point all we can do is hang on and have faith that it will work out in the end. It's hard I know.
And you are right, sometimes we just need to vent to someone who understands.
I hope tomorrow and next month are better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2006, 03:20 PM

thanks everyone for reminding me I'm not going through this alone. There are those of you going through the same feelings as me. I keep trying to remind myself of the year and that It can't get all better overnight. We'll keep hanging in and thanking God we are alive now to talk about it.
Unread 09-09-2006, 03:36 PM

Hi nanacindymarie,

Whilst I had a speedy and uneventful recovery for the most part I did suffer with the swelly belly, tiredness etc and it's been 18 months since I had my surgery. I still occasionally get swelly belly and I have ongoing bowel issues but for the most part I accept this surgery has trade offs and I have no regrets.
It really does take our bodies time to recover from all the surgery even when things go smoothly as many of us have been sick for quite some time prior to opting to have the surgery. After having my hyster I realised I'd been suffering for at least 3 years.
I hope things start to pick up for you and perhaps it's time to head back to your doctor and tell him how you feel. Sometimes a visit to your GP can help evn more so as they are more in tune with you.

Take care...........Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2006, 03:46 PM

I hope that with time you will feel better!

A hyst is a major surgery that affects you in many ways, and it can take time for you to feel better. I had a 6 month recovery and I have never been the same since, so I do understand that there can be a lot of frustration when you are not up and going as others are.

Please in there! And do feel free to talk to your dr about what options are available to help you feel better!
Unread 09-09-2006, 04:05 PM

I'm having some negative thoughts, too - not really about the surgery. I was ready to get rid of my uterus and ovaries - lots of problems for years. Thankfully I am healing well, but I still have belly soreness, hot flashes, headaches, and tiredness. I am dealing with that. Now I feel like I'm having mood swings. I go back to work at the end of this week and though I'm looking forward to it, I'm also a little scared. I keep telling myself to take it slow. I have read and my sister said it also took her about 6 months to finally feel a lot better after the surgery. But one of the things I worried about before surgery was feeling like 'me' after it. I don't regret the surgery, but I don't feel like me most days. Does that make sense to anyone? I am a glass half-full person and I roll well with the punches. But the last week or so I just feel down. DH has been very patient and during a crying spell this morning I told him how really feel (been trying to put up a good front most days) and he said I'm expecting too much, too soon. My mantra post surgery has been 'this too shall pass', but right now the light is kind-of far from the end of the tunnel. I think I could just curl up on the couch under a blanket and shut the world out for a few days. Not taking HRT. Is this normal and is anyone else experiencing these feelings? This site has been a great support for me.
Unread 09-09-2006, 06:46 PM

I'm sorry you're not feeling better.
Unread 09-09-2006, 08:40 PM

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way. Its not an easy road to travel! I had a horrible recovery time. I hit depression like a brick load! I hope that in time you will see that this is a beneficial thing. 2 years later I know that I did lots of dumb things during my healing period and am suffering from it to this day. I still have my doubts some days but for now I think the good days outlast the bad. Its a matter of time!

Hugs!
Unread 09-09-2006, 10:23 PM

It really does take a year to heal...I thought I would never get back to my "normal" self. I was so sure I would always be less capable than I was pre-hyst, and always experience swelling and pain. After the 12 month point, I realized I was doing the physical work load I did before, and that I was even stronger.
I do have the occaisional soreness, but it is a far cry from what I was feeling at even 10 months.

Hang in there, what is done is done. I believe you will feel much different come spring/summer of ' 07...and I do know how far away that seems!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register