4 weeks out, having symptoms... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks out, having symptoms... 4 weeks out, having symptoms...

Unread 09-27-2006, 06:45 AM
4 weeks out, having symptoms...

Hi, I'm four weeks post-op. I'm 52 and had a SAH, kept ovaries and cervix. The past week I have been hot and cold all night, not sleeping well and a bit moody (crying). I saw my doc yesterday and she didn't have much to tell me about hrt other than if the symptoms became uncomftorable to call her and she would start me on bioidentical hormones (that is what I told her I wanted). I'm soooo confused and wondering if I should wait a bit more to see if my ovaries kick in. Prior to surgery I was having a few symptoms but not like this. I'm wondering if natural progesterone cream may work at this point. Any info would be graciously accepted. I'm going to call my doc's office today.....Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2006, 08:02 AM

Hi Sue!

I'm sorry that your ovaries aren't working up to par post-op. Unfortunately that does happen to some women. You were right to call your doctor and if you're really uncomfortable with the symptoms and don't want to be miserable, by all means call! Generally a low dose of estrogen is prescribed to supplement until the ovaries kick into action.

Hopefully others who have experienced the same will be along soon to offer their support.

I hope you feel better soon!

s
Unread 09-27-2006, 12:27 PM

Hi Mariposa
I can relate to what you are going through. I had my hyst just two years ago now and kept my ovaries. Right away I started noticing some hot flashes but most of all I had terrible brain fog. I couldn't think or remember and making a decisions was just awful.
My dr started me on the bioidentical hormones after just a few weeks. They have been wonderful and made the difference for me. I feel good about taking them.
Before my surgery I hadn't been having many symptoms either. I think the trauma of surgery can really throw our bodies further into menopause. I have also read where losing the blood supply from the uterus is hard on our ovaries.
I have just turned 53 this summer so can relate to your age also. We are right there in that time frame where this is pretty normal for us to experience.
You'll have to decide what you're comfortable with but I would highly recommend the bioidentical hormone therapy. I started out with the troches both estrogen and progesterone and have just switched to the vivelle dot.
I wish you well as you begin your journey to find the balance that will work for you.
's,Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2006, 12:39 PM

Thanks Rita for sharing your experience! My gut tells me to go with bioidentical hormones. Yes, I know my age puts me right on the menopause dial! Need to call..... Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register