Here we go-1st surgery ever is hysterectomy.I'm scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Here we go-1st surgery ever is hysterectomy.I'm scared Here we go-1st surgery ever is hysterectomy.I'm scared

Unread 05-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Here we go-1st surgery ever is hysterectomy.I'm scared

Hi all!
I have read and known about this site for years. Knowing someday I would be a hyster sister.
I was diagnosed with fibroids about 6 years ago. It was a watch and wait per my gyne. I didn't have bleeding issues, pain or any other issues. I got yearly ultrasounds to keep an eye on them. Well my fibroids have grown year after year. I still don't have any bleeding issues but there are many and one is large and causing some discomfort. My uterus is like 4 months pregnant and I just had an MRI showing the large fibroid is 11cmx10cm and very odd shaped with a branch growing out of uterus. Which concerns my surgeon. I am getting a blood test checking for cancer. My surgeon wants to be very cautious and to do a full hysterectomy without using a morcellator due to cancer concerns. So I may not be able to have it laparoscopic. He wants to put uterus in a bag and remove it intact. I meet with him Wednesday to discuss my options. Needless to say I am scared. I have never had any type of major surgery. I am worried about how I will feel after. My body. My insides. Long term after effects. Will my stomach bulge? hang? bladder prolapse? What changes will my body have. I have so many questions and concerns I could go on and on. My main concern of course is that the fibroid be cancer free. Reading and talking with others on here will help ease my mind and answer some of my questions. I am very anxious(obviously)and any and all advice and input is appreciated. I like to be proactive not reactive and I don't like surprises. Having organs removed is so final and no going back, It scares the heck out of me!
I am 48 in good health no kids live in Pittsburgh and feel I am getting this done at the best hospital by the best surgeon
Thanks to all in advance!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Re: Here we go-1st surgery ever is hysterectomy.I'm scared

My fibroid was first noted at age 30 while pregnant. It stayed with me until my surgery at age 56. I almost named it. It was benign. It did not shrink after menapause either. I think it liked me. No symptoms either.
Unread 05-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Michelle, you may be in a good position with never having a surgery before. I know this sounds strange, but I was in the same position as you. Scared out of my mind, "Petrified" if you will. Hence my screen name.

Like you, I had no idea what to expect. I also had no time to think about it since mine was an emergency.

Since you have never had surgery before, I think it makes you more cautious after, like me. I followed doctors orders to a "T". My recovery was great once I got passed the boredom. I was determined to recover once and right.

It is very normal to be scared. You'll do great!! Sending positive thoughts your way!!

***side note*** To Suzy: I did name my fibroid. Cybill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM

Petrified...thank you for your message..could you share what your recovery was like and how having a hysterectomy changed your body..any side effects...did you have fibroids? Thanks Suzy for your reply..I don't think I want to name mine...it would probably be a bad name anyway lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrified View Post
Michelle, you may be in a good position with never having a surgery before. I know this sounds strange, but I was in the same position as you. Scared out of my mind, "Petrified" if you will. Hence my screen name.

Like you, I had no idea what to expect. I also had no time to think about it since mine was an emergency.

Since you have never had surgery before, I think it makes you more cautious after, like me. I followed doctors orders to a "T". My recovery was great once I got passed the boredom. I was determined to recover once and right.

It is very normal to be scared. You'll do great!! Sending positive thoughts your way!!

***side note*** To Suzy: I did name my fibroid. Cybill.
Unread 05-20-2014, 08:27 AM

It's a good thing that you're being proactive in educating yourself and wanting to be prepared for anything. This will be my third surgery (gallbladder in '03 and Gastric ByPass in '10). One piece of advice I can give you is be aware of your sources of information and follow your doctor's instructions, even if they differ from someone else's experience.

Reading through the stories in the "Our Hysterectomy Stories" section of the forums has really helped me. Also, if you get one book I highly recommend "The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy" by Lauren F. Streicher.

I agree, it's normal to be scared. But you're doing everything right, and you'll be on your road to recovery and happy with your decision before you know it.
Unread 05-20-2014, 06:45 PM

Dearxiola

Thank you!
I just ordered the book you suggested!
I have read so much stuff it has become overwhelming. The latest information I read was that after a hysterectomy your rib cage drops to your pelvis and your hips spread and you get a belly along with back pain and all kinds of other horrible stuff. Is any of this true?? There is no going back after this is performed. But there is nothing I can do. It needs done. I just want to know what to expect and what I can do to not have these bad things happen
Unread 05-21-2014, 06:08 AM

Sure Michelle,

I do not remember even being in recovery. It was an overnight 6 hour surgery. I'm told they let my DH into recovery at around 3am. I was the only one in there at that hour. Next thing I knew I was waking up to breakfast. As soon as I woke up the nurse sitting next to me started springing into action. Why? I have no clue. My husband was on the other side sleeping in a reclining chair. I didn't even think I had the surgery except for he flat stomach and all the pressure from the massive fibroid was gone. The nurse asked if I had pain. I did not. What I found most comforting is my own pillow that I had brought from home and my husband retrieved from the car while I was in surgery. I woke up laying on it. It was very sweet. I had coffee. The nurse took out the catheter, no pain or discomfort with that either. I had more coffee and ate some breakfast. With all that coffee, I had to pee! I asked the nurse if I could get up and go. She said sure. I was a little bend over walking, some soreness, no real pain. I went to the bathroom like Austin powers!. The head nurse came in and asked if I was able to go and I told her, yes, it was amazing! At that point, I had eaten, gone to the bathroom and the nurse said the Doc discharged me and I could go home at 11am. or 2pm. Since the drive was 2 hours, I chose 11am. They gave me a percoset and sent me on my way. The ride home was uneventful.

Once home, I rested and slept in a recliner. The recliner was my best friend for 6 weeks. I did not attempt the bed. Why mess with a good thing! LOL! I walked every 2 hours around the clock to combat gas pain. I followed doctors oders to a "T" . It really was a good recovery. I was not released to drive or do anything for 7 weeks. Mentally, I took the time for me. My family was/is wonderful. I dressed everyday. Mostly sun dresses. I couldn't wear a bra because the camera port was just under my sternum. No big deal, I shopped online for some cute ones. My daughter went to the store the day I came home to purchase bikini underwear a size SMALLER. I couldn't keep mine up! Also I wore a panty liner for about 24 hours but didn't need it. I stopped.

Today, 19 months post op: The 14lb. Fibroid is gone. I weigh 117lbs. down from 145lbs. prior to surgery. Still building a beautiful wardrobe. I am 53. Some funky aches and pains here and there, but who doesn't have them!

My one regret is I didn't have it done when I was diagnosed. I screwed around with Lupron, natural remedies and just about anything you can think of until it became an emergency and a big one at that. My fear was unfounded and nearly killed me.

My advice to you? Follow doctors orders, don't push recovery and pamper the princess!!!
Unread 05-21-2014, 07:26 AM

Hi michelle...it sounds like we are in the same boat. I too have never had surgery...and next Wednesday I am having a myomectomy with possible hysterctomy....and I too am terrified. I wish you the best of luck
Unread 05-21-2014, 08:51 AM

I too have never had major surgery and I have that fear of the unknown. My pre-op did make me feel better, talking with the anesthesiologist the nurses etc.

Even though i am scared i will be glad when the waiting is over...it is always there in the back of my mind....

Hugs and best wishes,

p.s. I named my fibroid @$#%×$ - think I angered it and it brought friends.....
Unread 05-21-2014, 09:21 AM

Hi
I am 46 and my situation was close to yours. I have had fibroids for about 11 year. Last year my new GYN started monitoring them every 6 months. I was told that my uterus was as if I was 4 months pregnant. I did not have any pain, or complications from the fibroids, however, they were starting to calcify, therefore I was advised to have a TAH with a vaginal cuff. I just had it on May 13, 2014. I was afraid also and extremely worried. It was all a waist of time to be that worried. I did not have any complications at all and was up walking around the hospital the next day. Coming off of the anesthesia was the worst part for me... I was extremely nauseated, however, there was noting in me to vomit so that helped. I am 7 days post-op and feel great. A try to walk very 2 hour to prevent stiffness, a little pain with certain movements, but it is nothing like I thought it would be. You can do it and you will be fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register