Scheduled dVH/RALH Want to keep ovaries, but...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Want to keep ovaries, but...... Want to keep ovaries, but......

Unread 10-14-2015, 08:03 AM
Want to keep ovaries, but......

I first want to say this site is such a great informational tool, thank you! I am scheduled to have a Davinci hysterectomy on 11/4. Everything will be removed, but my doctor told me it was my choice if I wanted to keep my ovaries or not. He's done several transvaginal ultrasounds, and they are normal size. I am not menopausal yet, and I do want to keep my ovaries, because I've done research on the benefits of keeping them. Here's my dilemma. A lot of the symptoms I have can be caused by ovarian issues: pelvic pressure, low back pain, fatigue, weight gain. What I am afraid of is that I will have the hysterectomy, keep my ovaries, and I will continue having the problems I have now. There is no family history, and I do realize you can always have them taken out later. Just a little confused right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Re: Want to keep ovaries, but......

Not knowing how old you are, but reading that your ovaries appear to be normal and functioning properly, I personally would want to keep them. Yes, they certainly can be removed at a later date if they become problematic but if you are potentially years away from "normal" menopause, it may be better for your body to have everything happen naturally versus having to do HRT. I am 40 and kept my ovaries with my June hysterectomy. My mom went through menopause at 51 so my doc said that if I had my ovaries removed, I would have potentially looked at many years on HRT. I'm glad I kept them. Good luck with your choice! You need to do what feels right to you.
Unread 10-14-2015, 10:18 AM

Hi, Sherri66.

You didn't say why you're getting the hyst. Could your symptoms be caused by the reason for your hyst, rather than by your ovaries? Has your doctor given you any opinions on this? Are you on any meds that could contribute to your symptoms?

Sorry to be grilling you! ;-) You've probably gone through these questions already, but I wanted to make sure you covered all the possibilities. Like sarrie22, I would keep my ovaries if I could. I've already lost one, so I'm fiercely hanging on to the other!

Good luck with your decision and with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Thanks both of you. I am 49 but not menopausal yet. I have had years of abnormal pap smears, 2 LEEPS, D&C, colposcopies, endo biopsy, etc. I have the HPV virus. It's really my cervix that is my biggest culprit, but I do have heavy periods, pelvic discomfort (even during non period days), low back pain, fatigue (I am anemic), headaches, left leg pain. Many times during the month I get those ovulation pains on both sides were my ovaries are. The symptoms I have can definitely be caused by cervical issues, and that is why I am hoping that those symptoms will go away after my hysterectomy recovery. I am on absolutely no medication. I have talked to my doctor, and he says my ovaries look good through the ultrasound. Of course he said that if they don't look good when he's in there he will remove them. I really do want to keep them. I think as it gets closer I'm just getting more nervous about getting relief after the surgery. I really do appreciate your replies ladies!!
Unread 10-15-2015, 10:27 AM

It's tough making these decisions. I hope your surgery goes well and you get relief.

I know you're anxious, but try to stay positive. After all, your doctor has found no reason yet to suggest removing the ovaries.

Keep yer chin up! We're sending support.
Unread 10-15-2015, 11:35 AM

Yes you have been given great advice here. But the choice is yours so I agree, you need to weigh all your options. Not to throw a monkey wrench in things, but it's not too late to get a second opinion. You need to weigh all the facts dear sister, so take your time deciding.

Here is a link to an article you may find helpful:

Why to Keep Your Ovaries

Best of luck on making the right decision for You! We are here to support you no matter what you decide.
Unread 10-16-2015, 05:58 AM

Thanks! I have had 2 opinions, and do know I'm doing the right thing. I think it's just nerves, and I believe keeping my ovaries is going to be the best decision. I appreciate the support here, and will be using a lot of the advice for preparing for the surgery.
Unread 10-16-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri66 View Post
Thanks! I have had 2 opinions, and do know I'm doing the right thing. I think it's just nerves, and I believe keeping my ovaries is going to be the best decision. I appreciate the support here, and will be using a lot of the advice for preparing for the surgery.
I had my total hysterectomy Monday and I had my left ovary removed and left the right one in only because I am only 24 and it benefits me to keep one for the hormones in the long run. I have PCOS so deciding to keep one was tough but it would have taken 10 years off my life to take both. Maybe this can be an option for you if you are in between. Good luck
Unread 10-16-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri66 View Post
Sounds like you have gotten more than one opinion. Even if you still have some of the symptoms, the could be better than surgical menopause. If your periods are causing the anemia that will change.

I have had right pelvic pain for as long as I can remember. I thought it was my right ovary - I still have the pain. It reacts to stress, gas, bowels - so wishing it was the ovary was too much! I had pressure on my bladder feeling I needed to go all the time - doctor said it was inflamed in there. That is gone thankfully. Lower back pain - had that for years too.

do be aware probably for a couple weeks, at least, after surgery your lower back may still hurt from the position we are put in for surgery. Mine hurt that night then not again until about week 3. Ice became my friend. If you go to a chiropractor, ask your doctor how soon after surgery you can go. An adjustment helps alot.
Unread 10-16-2015, 05:48 PM

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I'm glad you were able to keep one ovary especially at your young age.

Good to hear that some of your symptoms went away but sounds like some didn't. I agree when you say that keeping some of my symptoms is better than medical menopause from what I hear. Thanks for letting me know about the lower back pain. I'm so anxious to be rid of that (hopefully), the fatigue and the pelvic pressure. I guess I can live with some groin pain if I have to. Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register