my stomach can't hold as much food as pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my stomach can't hold as much food as pre-op my stomach can't hold as much food as pre-op

Unread 05-07-2008, 03:01 PM
my stomach can't hold as much food as pre-op

I'm starting to wonder if my doctor didn't do something to my intestines while he was fiddling around inside of me!

Before surgery, I had the appetite of a horse and I could really put away food. Even my husband and daughtrer commented on it. No, I'm not tiny, but for the amount of food I ate, I should have been huge, house size. Instead, I was merely pudgy.

My first week post-op, I had very little appetite and the gas wouldn't let me eat much, anyway.

But now I am 12 days post-op (LAVH/BSO and cele work) and although I have my appetite back, it seems like there isn't much room in my upper intestine, the place where my ribs are. After a small dinner, like small-portions Weight Watchers size, and a glass of water, I am FULL. No room for dessert or second helpings---even first helpings are tiny.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, another question: my pants don't do up, yet I have lost several pounds. Can I still be swollen around the abdomen with an LAVH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2008, 03:11 PM

I had a TAH but am having the same experience, I feel full ALL the time I especially dont like to drink much water which is completely opposite of my old self. I am a week ahead of you and have the swollen belly too. I am able to eat a little more than I was last week but still feel stuffed after about 1/3 of what I used to eat. My doc said it would last a month or so until the swelling subsides.
Unread 05-07-2008, 04:14 PM

I am as well. I had teased my surgeon about doing a lap band or sorts while he was in there. I've lost 7 pounds since my surgery last week.
Maybe a side effect from the swelly belly and everything being moved around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Same thing here. For breakfast I have bowl of oatmeal and a few sips of coffee and I am full. I used to be able to drink a few cups of coffee before surgery. I am no longer snacking throughout the day (good thing I guess) and come dinner time I have to force myself to eat! I had a small lean cuisine dinner last night with some toast and didnt even finish it all.

Maybe I will be able to fit into my "normal" clothes once I have healed
Unread 05-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Not sure what the concern is here? As long as your eating a healthy, balanced, nutritious meal, withe the proper exercise (when appropriate) why is the goal to return to eating habits that left you "pudgy"? Not trying to be cruel or demonstrate a lack of empathy, but I don't get it...
I amwondering if the way your body metabolized food prior to the surgery wasn't healthy because of your other health concerns, and now it's correcting itself...M
Unread 05-07-2008, 04:57 PM

I don't want to return to pudgy, but being able to eat only a small few bites of chicken, a tablespoon of brown rice, and 4 brussel sprouts doesn't fill my daily requirements for a healthy meal. And if I attempt to drink water with the meal, I bloat out like a beached whale.

BTW, my definition of pudgy may not be the same as you all--I am age 47, 5 '5" tall, and 138 pounds. I wear a size 10. I think of that size as being pudgy.
Unread 05-07-2008, 05:03 PM

Agree with you elizadoo....I dont wish to return to my pre op size, I needed to lose some weight, but it is wierd to not eat like I used to.

BTW Darling if you think you are pudgy then I am obese! I am 5'6 and weighed 170 when i went into the hospital, I have lost weight as I put on a pair of my pants (size 16) and they fell down!!
Unread 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM

Elizadoo
Ur rught, that is not my definition of pudgy. It also takes a while for the anesthesia to wear off etc. I was the same way when I got home, Had a TAH on 4.9.08, Hopefully, ur body will adjust soon, in a way that enables u to eat the "portion of ur choice" and maintain the weight u desire....
M
Unread 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM

I'm experiencing this as well. I can get a take out meal and it takes me ALL day to finish it. Or if I cook, it's small portions like I give to my kids.

I really don't need to lose weight, but I'm down 4 pounds..which puts me at 94 pds. I really hope this goes away soon and my normal appetite returns.
Unread 05-07-2008, 05:51 PM

I was laughing about how some of you define "pudgy" - I guess in your book I am down right fat!!! I am a plus size hyster sister and my surgery was January 11, 2008.

I am so familiar with "where'd my appetite go?"

I have lost 40 lbs - not a bad thing!!! I really could stand to loose 40 more. But I have never been one to diet or - so this is really a shock. I actually have been to the gym twice this week.

For those that are enjoying the weight loss - like me - keep eating as much healthy stuff as you can. For those that are concerned, I'd give the a call.

Blessings on you ....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register