Some basic questions.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Some basic questions.... Some basic questions....

Unread 02-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Some basic questions....

My abdominal total hyster is scheduled for March 2nd. I am 67 so all pregnancy issues are moot. I am having a spinal.

I've read the list of what to take to the hospital and found it very helpful.

I am adding to the list a bed jacket or short robe.

I am also bringing my crocheting.

Questions:

Do I bring my bag of stuff when I check in or does my husband bring it later?

I will not bring any valuables - like a purse - etc., but do I leave my wedding rings at home?

I wear eye glasses without which I don't existt - how do I safeguard them?

I will put them in a case with my name on it - and give them to the nurse - anything else?

Grateful for all help and prayers.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Some basic questions....

Hi Basheva, and

I'm glad you found the hospital list. I was very grateful to have that as a guideline myself.

When you do your pre-registration with the hospital, the person you talk to should will probably address some of these specific things.

--I took a small purse-like bag with things I wanted to have immediately in my room--chapstick and my iPod. My husband kept this with him during my surgery, in the same bag where I stored my clothes. The bag with my clean undies, slippers, deodorant, etc. we left in the car and he brought in later.

I did need to remove both my wedding ring and my eye glasses. I asked my husband to keep these for me during my surgery. I'm fairly sightless without my glasses, too, and it was nice to have them as soon as I got to my room. I didn't even think to bring a case for them, but the nurse gave me a small cloth bag for them and put my name label on the bag for me.

You may want to sign up for our Pre-Op Checkpoint email. (You can find the info on these on the Pre-Op page: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_pre.htm.) This was amazing in helping me think ahead as I prepared for my trip to the hospital.

I'm glad you found us, and let us know any other questions you have!
Unread 02-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Some basic questions....

Basheva -

You can bring your bag of stuff with you but you would either leave it in the car and husband can bring it in after you have your room assignment or leave it with him while he's waiting during your surgery.

I left my wedding rings at home.

I gave my eye glasses to my husband to keep while I was in surgery and he brought them to me after I got to my room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Some basic questions....

Dear Chris and Taurus Lady - thank you for your replies.

I will leave my glasses with my husband.

Leave bag of stuff in the car for him to bring in later.

Leave wedding rings at home.

I assume hospital rooms have a clock - so no watch.

Another question....

If I have a choice between a private room or having a roomate which should I chose?
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Some basic questions....

I would definitely request the private room. We had to pay like $20 extra but worth every cent of it! When my FIL was in the hospital the last time he ended up in a shared room and he was having bad hallucinations so I can't imagine the heck of a time that was for his roommate. You know I can't remember if there was a clock or not, I'm pretty sure there was.
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Some basic questions....

And yet another question....oh dear....

Should I bring a nightgown that goes over the head or one that buttons down the front?

Thanks - for the private room information!
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Some basic questions....

There are several threads on here about whether you should have a private room, and I don't ever remember anyone saying that a shared room is a better option. If you can get a private room, do so.
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Some basic questions....

I only did an overnighter so just used the hospital gowns...I did bring a robe for walking the halls so I didn't moon anybody. If you bring a gown I would say buttons down the front because you may have IV lines, that's why the hospital gowns help because they have snaps at the sleeves.
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Some basic questions....

I will try to get a private room.

Night gown - button down the front.

I am told I will be in the hospital three nights - maybe because of my age. At first that upset me but now I think its best - will be that much further along with my recovery when I get home and less of a burden on my husband - he is 76.

Thank you - all of you - for your help.
Unread 02-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Some basic questions....

Leave your wedding ring at home. I forgot & took it off before surgery & in the fog it got lost. I gave everything else to my husband to hold until I was coherent enough to take care of my things. I found I didn't need much at the hospital. Best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register