How soon can I swim or get in the hot tub? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon can I swim or get in the hot tub? How soon can I swim or get in the hot tub?

Unread 07-10-2003, 07:45 PM
How soon can I swim or get in the hot tub?

My LAVH is Mon the 14th. We are going on vacation the first week of August which will be 3 weeks post-op. Any ideas on how soon I can swim or sit in the hot tub? I have gained so much info from this site and it really helped me form pre-op questions! Good Luck to all you LIW! Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2003, 08:04 PM

I had a TAH/BSO, 5 weeks ago, my doctor said no swimming or tubs for 6 to 7 weeks. Since I really spend most of my summer in the pool that really bummed me out. I asked him why and he said he did not want me to get any infections. My next appt. is next Friday and the first thing I am going to ask is can I go swimming now?

Please call your doctor and ask him before you go on your vacation. My doctor has not released me for travel yet.

Cindy sends s.
Unread 07-10-2003, 09:53 PM

Sorry, but my doctor said no sex, nothing in the vagina, and NO bubble bath for 8 weeks....she had told me 6, but still could see sutures and said as long as they were present the risk of infection is greater.

You will have to settle for sunbathing, a wine cooler, and a nice shower, lots of naps...

Good luck and smooth recovery. I'm feeling great and glad I did it!!!

Mary W
Adeno, fibroids, enlarged uterus, no endo (this time! lasered out 8 yrs. ago), heavy bleeding, clots, pain! age 48--free at last!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2003, 11:08 PM

I had a LAVH/BSO back in May. I had a spectacular recovery. It was remarkable by how little pain I had and how few problems I experienced. My DR was amazed how great I did. I was a model patient.

I was released to resume normal activity - including swimming at 5 weeks post-op - ahead of the normal schedule. Even at 4 weeks I knew when I was doing too much so I doubt I would have been released sooner. I took my granddaughter swimming at 6 weeks and was exhausted. I even felt tummy discomfort which was unusual for me.

I'll be honest, though, I really wished I could have sat in a hot tub through my whole recovery just to ease my sore muscles. Also keep in mind that your hormones won't be completely settled down - whether you keep your ovaries or not.
Unread 07-11-2003, 04:20 AM

What they don't want is any fluids getting up into the vagina and carrying bacteria with it before the vagina cuff sutures are healed. Most doctors do an internal exam at about 6 weeks and that is when they get a look at that suture line to see how it is healing. I got off schedule with my post op 6 week check since I had another surgery at just past 6 weeks but she told me no vaginal activity even if I was at 6 weeks, until she could actually visualize things (which she could do during the second surgery).

Linda >^..^<
Unread 07-11-2003, 05:20 AM

I'd check with your doc first. Mine said I could resume normal activities after my first follow-up visit with him at two weeks. I specifically asked about the hot tub, and we were going on a lake vacation and I wanted to swim. He said ok to both.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register