Normal weight of uterus? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Normal weight of uterus? Normal weight of uterus?

Unread 05-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Normal weight of uterus?

OBGYN.net,says there really isn't an "average size", however they said that a women in her 40's with children should have a uterus that weighs 60-80 grams. The site said that there are so many factors including, age, weight, number of children, and so on. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Normal weight of uterus?

i was told a healthy uterus weighs 50 grams..........mine weighed 1400 grams.....
Unread 05-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Normal weight of uterus?

wow michelle, that's 3 pounds! you must feel like a supermodel by now!

i told my doctor i having trouble losing the last 16 pounds, and that i was counting on her to help out ... no wonder she was laughing when she told me 'i may be able to help out with 2' ... dang, guess it's going to be more crunches!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Normal weight of uterus?

My doctor told me mine weighed 959 grams (a bit over 2 pounds). I'm glad to have it gone... I think.

Michelle, that was huge!

Chipmonk
Unread 06-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Normal weight of uterus?

O.K. Is that SIZE OF A PEAR thing true?? I'm probably having a vaginal Hyst and feel that I need to know. I watched the whole stupid thing on youtube - with the robot, etc. so I would sort of "be informed" and all it did was FREAK ME OUT and I totally was picturing my Wicked Witch of a Uterus as something more like the size of ...well....a basketball or ....a baby or something. Crud - I'm an idot again!!!!

You have to understand - I've never had kids so the idea of all that business - and getting things OUT that way - and just - well - I'm a tomboy and it really does freak me out. To be honest, other than trying to talk my conservative husband into a gay relationship - I'd have been quite happy to be a guy. (Especially over the last few frustrating, painful years)

Anyway - smart people - help me - Are we talking deflated basketball or deflated pear - BIG DIFFERENCE in my freaky little world.

TANK
Unread 06-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Normal weight of uterus?

I just did a rough calculation: my uterus according to my ultrasound is 200 cc, which would equal 200 grams. And my DR said that this is normal for someone who has given birth?! No wonder I have gained weight!
Unread 06-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Normal weight of uterus?

My chiropractor just said to me yesterday "hey good luck next week, maybe you'll end up loosing another pound!" I told him I always gain in the hospital because of the darn IV .... I hate IV's!
Unread 06-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Normal weight of uterus?

Tank,
I can't remember where I heard it, but a uterus is the size of a pear. My DH and I just went to a Bodyworks science show. They show preserved bodies in different poses both with insides and outsides showing. Sounds a bit morbid, but it was beautiful and scientific at the same time. The exhibit that most interested me was the one showing the female internal organs. The uterus was the size of a pear. They also showed a uterus with fibroids. That uterus was larger. Not as big as a basket ball but a bit bigger. Hope I didn't gross you out with the details, but really it was VERY COOL!
Unread 06-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Normal weight of uterus?

I was supposed to have a TVH (based on low-grade cervical cancer) but when my doc tried to do the TVH, he said my uterus was huge so he switched mid-surgery to a TAH. The way he described my "HUGE uterus" completely covered externally with fibroids (which we had no clue were there) I, with my sick and twisted imagination, had this mental image of him pulling something ginormous like a humpbacked whale covered in barnacles out of my body. How's that for an image? I am certifiably insane...
Unread 06-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Normal weight of uterus?

OMG you girls are cracking me up! even if you've never actually given birth, your body is remarkably well-prepared, and the average baby is 7 pounds ... so even a 3-pound uterus (which is 300% above average) would slide out pretty easily, and everything would 'shrink back' to normal in a few weeks.

jandell, as for gaining weight, be prepared! and don't freak out! i gained exactly 10 pounds between pre-op to coming home from the hospital, but i am 7 days post-op and have lost all 10 as of yesterday ... my belly is still a little puffy, so i'm hoping to come down another few pounds after it's all said and done ... plus i can't go back to the gym until until the end of july at the earliest ...

Jill, i love the 'whale w/barnacles' visual also! somewhere else on the boards a gal called hers 'mutant' so i've been going with that ... and now the mutant is gone, and took all it's mutant behavior with it! i have not had this much energy in 10 years, and feeling better every day ...

oh, and Tank, i wouldn't recommend watching anything else on YouTube until it's all over ... i haven't watched it yet, but i'm getting a little more curious now!

stay strong and focused, ladies, it's almost over and you'll be so relieved. i know there's a lot to get freaked out over, but the chances of anything going other than 'typical' is really remote.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register