New & Pre Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-11-2006, 06:52 AM
New & Pre Op

Hi, I'm new to this site, but happy to have found it. Hopefully I'll obtain some much needed advice. I am 49 and have 3 daughters. I have suffered with heavy periods for over 2 yrs. Last January my hemoglobin dropped and I have been taking 975mg iron since that time. Last April a sonogram revealed a uterus the size of a 3mth pregnant female - almost completely full of fibroids. I have postponed surgery until now. I honestly don't think I can stand another period. My periods have become unmanagable. I have an appt with my doctor this Wed. Any ideas on how long it takes to schedule the hysterectomy? I have tried to wait until after the holidays. But now I want to do it asap and start the new year off feeling better. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2006, 07:11 AM
New & Pre Op

Welcome! Scheduling depends a lot on your doc and hospital. Some folks get in within a week or two, others (like me) take two or three months. I suggest if you are scheduled a long way out that you get on a short-notice call list in case someone else cancels.

You will find some great sisters here! I'm glad you have joined us. Good luck!

carrie
Unread 11-11-2006, 07:16 AM
New & Pre Op

Welcome! I'm at six weeks' post-op for total lap hyster for much the same reason as you (and I'm 45 - with 3 daughters, too). I'm certain you can find someone to schedule a hyst fairly quickly, but I'm going to just ask a couple of question here:
1)Should you manage to have this done before the holidays - are you hoping/planning to feel good during the holidays? I'm gathering you've read here or heard that the recovery time is long and intense, requiring many limitations and rest (even when feeling groovy) Otherwise, we suffer setbacks (even the goddesses, superwomen, and exceptions that prove the rule...) and endanger the best recovery possible in the long run. So is the timing right for you, in other words, to take it easy for 4-8 weeks?
2) Are you confident about your surgeon, your post-surgery assistance during the holidays, the type of surgery you want, whether or not your ovaries will stay or go, the hospital you would like to stay in, etc.?

These are good things to ask, and there is wisdom and compassion on this website that will happily guide and care for your concerns.

Most of us are so very pleased with the new freedom from pain and will share with you our stories. Personally, I feel and look better than I have in years, and I would do it again if time turned back. But I asked thousands of questions, kept an ovary, found the best surgeon, set up my post-care, prepared the kids, and listened to my instincts at every turn.

Good luck! shaden3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2006, 09:34 AM
New & Pre Op

Welcome, I find this site to be a blessing, a vast resource of knowledge, experience and 's!
Unread 11-11-2006, 11:34 AM
New & Pre Op

Hi Drsrnsalter,

I was 46 when I too had a hyst for fibroids. Possibly you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst such as a TVH, a LAVH or a LSH, the surgery type I had???

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the ~different~ types of hysts and questions to ask your Dr:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm

Best wishes. Don't worry. We Hyster Sisters are here to help if we can.

Mary
Unread 11-11-2006, 01:02 PM
New & Pre Op

My gyn says my uterus is too enlarged for a vaginal hyst and I also had a c-section with my last child six years ago. So he plans to do the bikini incision. I 'm just so ready to get this over and done with. My periods are overwhelming and controlling my life. I have zero energy at this point and can hardly wait to feel good again.
Unread 11-11-2006, 11:30 PM
New & Pre Op

I had the bikini. If you've had a C-section, you're probably one-up on me. LOL! Yep, many of us had the insanely long/heavy/painful periods, with gushers and clots that ought to be in horror movies. Oh, and the anemia. Let's not forget the anemia.

I hope you get your relief soon. In the meantime, you have a bunch of Sisters here to hold your cyber hand.

Lena
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:59 AM
New & Pre Op

I delayed for as long I as I could before I even told my doc what was going on. My fibroid was huge too, I was bleeding so badly that she put me on birth control pills to stop it, low dose, till I went in.
I got into surgery in 10 days because of a cancellation so it is a good idea to tell your doc you will go short notice. Had I not taken the spot then I would have had to wait a few months, mostly because my Gyn was going away for a month.
I understand your frustration, I lived around it for so long and got to the point where I just couldn't do it anymore.
In the meantime we are all here and will do our best to help you get though your waiting period - chin up, it's almost over

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register