Has anyone kept their ovaries then regretted it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone kept their ovaries then regretted it? Has anyone kept their ovaries then regretted it?

Unread 06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Has anyone kept their ovaries then regretted it?

Did any of you ladies keep your ovaries by choice only to regret it later? Our goal on the 23rd is to keep my right ovary if it looks healthy. My surgeon recommended my really thinking about keeping one because she has had a large percentage of women still dealing with pain and coming back within 3 years to have their ovaries removed… I think age wise, it’s smart to keep the healthy one (I’m only 37)… But I don’t want to face ANOTHER surgery in a few years.

What have been your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2008, 10:54 AM

I think it will really depend on each individual's situation... I'm 38 and at my last lap the doctor removed endo from both ovaries and removed adhesions from one ovary (it was adhered to the ovarian fossa?). Some of the pain that I have been experiencing seems to come from the area of my ovaries which is why we think that the endo has returned.

My doctor gave me all the facts and statistics and said that she would do whatever I wanted - leave them or take them - she wanted it to be my choice. (In a way I was hoping that she would make the choice for me during surgery but no such luck.)

I did some additional research and decided that because of my history with endometriosis and PCOS that it would be best to have my ovaries removed. I'm a bit nervous about the outcome - whether I'll be able to tolerate HRT without it reactivating the endo - but I feel like if I choose to leave my ovaries that I'll end up still being in pain and needing another surgery later.
Unread 06-12-2008, 12:27 PM

I am 37. I had an abdominal hysterectomy. I kept my right ovary and got rid of my huge fibroid filled uterus, left ovary, and cervix. I didnt not want HRT. I had a huge endometrioma on the left and slight endo on my remaining ovary that the doctor cleaned off.
Im 5 weeks post op and dont regret keeping one ovary. Ive kinda had some twinges of pain since surgery in that ovary, and ive had some hot flashes too. But im not in horrible pain like i was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM

See? What I'm thinking is that if I am so used to the majority of my pain coming from the left that I actually have NO IDEA if the right side hurts too. But I'm thinking that even some pain will be an amazing change from what I deal with now.

12 days to go....
Unread 06-12-2008, 02:09 PM

I had my ovaries removed at the same time as my hyst because I had terrible hormone imbalance problems.... but I can tell you about my mom's experience.

She had a vaginal hyst for fibroids at age 42, but kept her ovaries because there was nothing wrong with them. Unfortunately, the stopped working almost immedately, as many women's do, so she had to do ERT anyway. Then, about 10 years later, her fallopian tubes filled with fluid and became so large that she had to have abdominal surgery to remove them.

In hindsight, it might have been better for her to have them taken out at the first surgery, but you can never really know what will happen.
Unread 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM

i kept mine and have had no problems at all. i dont need any hormone replacement and feel great. i personally would much rather keep them and hope that they give me years of hormones. i dont worry about future removal..if it happens, i'll deal with it then.
Unread 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM

That's a good point. Most of us are not strangers to "procedures" and my surgeon said that a later removal of one ovary would be relatively simple.

Thanks for the responses!
Unread 06-12-2008, 07:10 PM

I hope to keep mine as I am a bit scared of HRT. I'm 43 and hope to get a few more miles out of them. I'll be asking the dr. at my pre-op about it and what he thinks after my laprascopic earlier this month.
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:12 AM

I am planning on keeping mine too. I was a little scared about keeping them and having to undergo a surgery later, but I think the risk is worth not having to take HRT's. I have problems with blood pressure and cholesterol and my family practice MD said that women have a natural protection against heart disease as long as they are producing the estrogen. I am 35 and do not want to risk dying early from heart problems.
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:29 PM

Maybe a dumb ?, but...

Does anyone know if once you get cysts on your ovaries there's more of a chance you'll keep getting them?

Thanks
blondie08

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register