An absolute mess | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

An absolute mess An absolute mess

Unread 08-14-2010, 09:57 PM
An absolute mess

I had a vag. hyst. on July 20, 2010 at the age of 28, they were able to keep my left ovary. 10 days post op I got an infection which they treated with antiobiotics. I have literally layed in my bed barely able to shower everyday and taking every bit of strength to walk around outside each day. I feel like I'm going crazy. It seems like I have 1 -2 really good days where I feel great and then bam I'm right back to bed bound. I have been having horrible hot flashes which make me sick to my stomach. I just need any type of guidance and someone to let me know if this is normal. It seems like everyone around me thinks I should be doing better....UGH...I have about 2-4 hours a day where I feel sort of ok and then I'm just down hill from there. I'm getting so nervous because I'm supposed to be starting work again soon. Please Please if anyone can give me any advice I am so desperate at this point....THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Re: An absolute mess

Kerri
It takes time. I had a TAH 6/24 and still have days that I feel great and then the next like crap. My pain is less severe but I still feel this pulling cramping achy pain if I'm on my feet to long. My hot flashes usually come at night and were making me feel like I was on fire. I am on my second HRT which seems toi be working better but what I wouldn't give for a full nights sleep. Look each woman is different. I. Thought something was wrong with me because I am almost 2 months post op. My doc said I'm just taking longer to heal given the extent of damage inside. Its not one size fits all. If you have questions or problems don't suffer call your doctor. If you're tired rest. You had major surgery and from whta I can tell it takes about a year to feel normal again. Quick tip if you can afford the swelly belly band it works well if you can't use an ice pack on your tummy for about 15 min at a time. It really helped me a lot. Hang in there and remeber you are not alone. Listen to your body and take care of you
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:26 PM

Kerri,

I am so sorry you've been suffering so much. The infection sure had put an extra burden on you and you might want to give yourself some more time to recover completely.

It's been more than a month, I would think it should be safe for you to 'walk' regularly. Walking has an amazing effect on healing. Just start slow - build on to 5 minutes leisure walk and gradually increase the time. Listen to your body and not to overstretch. Don't feel pressure about going back to work. The American with Disability Act protects your job security - look at the guideline and communicate with your employer ahead of time.

My experience with hysterectomy is that you can feel completely well the next day even though you might be feeling horrible right now. Just don't overdo it whenever you are feeling 'good'. 'Everyone' around you does not have 'your' experience. You are the one that counts. Eat well, exercise regularly, sleep tight,... And remember you've got a league of 'sisters' alongside you. I'm sending good vibes your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2010, 10:53 AM

thanks so much ladies, the support and knowing I'm not alone or going crazy means so much
Unread 08-16-2010, 11:03 AM

Infection will set you back somewhat as will the drugs meant to cure you. Like the other ladies have said, don't get too worried about what everyone else seems to expect, you need to listen to your doctor and the wisdom of your body. Rest when needed. Take it easy if that's what seems to be called for.

Barring any other complication, this too shall pass. Take advantage of the time to get through a couple of good books or whatever else it is that you don't have time for when you are up and around. Best of luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register