question for any Princess who kept their cervix-please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question for any Princess who kept their cervix-please question for any Princess who kept their cervix-please

Unread 06-19-2013, 07:52 PM
question for any Princess who kept their cervix-please

I had my pre-op appointment on Monday and I asked how she was going to close the top of my cervix - and she said she isn't??? I am keeping my ovaries (hopefully) so I will still ovulate - and if there is nothing stopping semen out of my abdomen - she said I could not get pregnant because there wouldn't be anything to attach to... I trust my doc - but does this sound right - has anyone who kept their cervix had issues with semen freeflowing in your abdomen???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Re: question for any Princess who kept their cervix-please

It may sound silly, but I asked my mom the same thing since they removed her cervix. we kinda laughed it off, cuz I had no idea about anything, so was my hubby just going to be up in my tummy? lol

She told me, and every one on here has said that if they remove your cervix they do a vaginal cuff. kinda bunch it together a sew it up. There should be an end to it.

And granted Im not a doctor and don't know for sure, but even if the eggs free flow from the ends of the tubes, if the semen were in there, couldn't they still meet up? I don't know, this sounds off. I would ask her again and see if she could clarify. If she states again she isn't planning on closing you up, you might want to consider another doctor.....
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:29 PM

Hello, sister - prior to my surgery my doctor and I discussed whether I should keep my cervix or not. I had several large fibroids, one of which was growing into the cervix so it couldn't be spared and she ended up removing the cervix during surgery. She explained to me that if she were able to spare the cervix, she would suture the top of the cervix shut. I've read this procedure described somewhere in this forum as this: picture a balloon filled with air and tied off. The balloon is the uterus and the nozzle where you fill the balloon is the cervix. The knot tied at the nozzle is where they would suture the top of the cervix after cutting the balloon (uterus) away. There shouldn't be an opening from your cervix into your abdomen, it should be sewn shut. I've ready some scary articles where the top of the cervix wasn't properly closed off and semen entered the abdomen, fertilized an egg and caused intra-abdominal pregnancy. It doesn't seem right to me that she would keep the top of your cervix open, I would do a little more research and maybe get a second opinion.

Not trying to scare you, just urging you to arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible in order to make important decisions about your health and well being. This is a major surgery that affects us mentally, physically and emotionally and our best defense against complications down the line is to know as much as possible about what's being done to our bodies and how it will affect us in the long run.

Best wishes to you for a smooth operation and restful recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Hi Paper Pusher, I kept my cervix but i did a little research on supracervical Hysterectomy. The cervix is either sutured or cauterized, so I discussed this with my Dr. With Suturing there's a greater chance they could leave small amount of uterine tissue that could cause mini periods after surgery vs cauterizing they can remove all the tissue. I had my cervix cauterized, most gynos do the cauterization to prevent mini periods.
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:33 PM

Thank you as always Ladies,

The pregnancy part really isn't TOO much of a concern currently - my gentlemen has been altered himself... I just wasn't sure about infections or parasites or something else getting in there...

I do have a friend with a lake house - and after I am cleared I will go swimming again and just the thoughts of nothing there to stop it leaves me puzzled...

She did say she is going to 'cone out' my cervix - to lessen the chances of spotting - so maybe that is done through cauterization - I will definitely ask her...
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:14 AM

It all gets cauterized so nothing is going to seep through and your fallopian tubes are cauterized too so there is no way for sperm to get in to fertilize an egg.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register